HWC with no carbs

Options
kimmydear
kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
I just noticed that if I input HWC on the regular database, it counts 0 carbs, but the HWC I've been buying from Safeway has 2 per tablespoon. Are most 0 and I just happened to find the one with carbs? Grrr...

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    No. They all have some.
    You will need to add it as a food item with the correct info. Someone apparently previously just entered it wrong.
    All of the MFP info is user entered. So someone just entered it wrong.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    yes all hwc has some carbs in it, a lot of the entries on mfp may only include calories as many people who are tracking on here are only counting calories and don't care about the other macros. you will want to manually enter the one you have and use that one
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    HWC without carbs is butter. ;)

Whether a given label says HWC has carbs depends pretty much entirely on which way they round (assuming a 1tbsp serving).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    American HWC by standard is supposed to have 6.4 carbs per cup, 8 oz. That's 6.4 carbs per 16 TBSP. That is 0.4 carbs per TBSP. YMMV based on additives, but this is supposed to be the standard.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    American HWC by standard is supposed to have 6.4 carbs per cup, 8 oz. That's 6.4 carbs per 16 TBSP. That is 0.4 carbs per TBSP. YMMV based on additives, but this is supposed to be the standard.

Thanks for that info. The labeling laws let them round down to Zero I think. Now when I drink an 8 oz glass of HWC I know it is about 6 grams of carbs. It seems to help my stomach feel better if I eat wrong some days.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options

Thanks for that info. The labeling laws let them round down to Zero I think. Now when I drink an 8 oz glass of HWC I know it is about 6 grams of carbs. It seems to help my stomach feel better if I eat wrong some days.

That's my understanding - and 800 calories! I've had to do that some days, too...
  • kimmydear
    Options

Good info thanks! And I meant to say 1g per tablespoon. No rounding down when you don't have much to work with.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »

Good info thanks! And I meant to say 1g per tablespoon. No rounding down when you don't have much to work with.

@kimmydear I just did a search, and the only brand that came up is Lucerne, but it still showed to have 1 gram per TBSP, which is kind of the "round up" standard... Is that the brand you use? I kind of just search until I find one that's accurate and then always use only that one listing.
  • kimmydear
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »

@kimmydear I just did a search, and the only brand that came up is Lucerne, but it still showed to have 1 gram per TBSP, which is kind of the "round up" standard... Is that the brand you use? I kind of just search until I find one that's accurate and then always use only that one listing.

Yep that's what I have right now
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    2 TBSP in 1 oz, so maybe that's the wonky 2?
  • enrisluv
    enrisluv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi, im new to the site and this forum, what is HWC? some of the acronyms have me guessing, thanks
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    enrisluv wrote: »
    hi, im new to the site and this forum, what is HWC? some of the acronyms have me guessing, thanks

HWC is Heavy Whipping Cream
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I tried to make butter using HWC once. I carefully followed directions on how long and what speed to blend it so that the butter would separate from the milk. I nearly broke my blender (overheated), trying to get the butter to separate. I think it was all the additives in the HWC preventing it from separating.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    this reminds me of a fat bomb i made. i entered everything precisely in MFP recipe area. it came up as "0" carbs. i planned to eat 3 one day, entered into MFP, and there was "1" under carb. apparently it's trace carbs, not true zero, and if you eat enough, it will add up. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

For any UK, etc., folks, it is generally somewhere between Single and Double Cream. Closer to double, but not quite that thick...
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

For any UK, etc., folks, it is generally somewhere between Single and Double Cream. Closer to double, but not quite that thick...

It seems I read in the USA Heavy Whipping Cream (HWC) is 36% butter fat if that helps anyone.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

That's my understanding - and 800 calories! I've had to do that some days, too...

I'm intrigued. What symptoms are helped by a glass of HWC? (I deal with a variety of stomach issues. They had mostly cleared up after I started LCHF but have been having more problems again the past few weeks.)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

I'm intrigued. What symptoms are helped by a glass of HWC? (I deal with a variety of stomach issues. They had mostly cleared up after I started LCHF but have been having more problems again the past few weeks.)

It does not happen often any more but if I get indigestion for some reason HWC makes it feel better plus I just love the taste and the way it feels going down. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I tried to make butter using HWC once. I carefully followed directions on how long and what speed to blend it so that the butter would separate from the milk. I nearly broke my blender (overheated), trying to get the butter to separate. I think it was all the additives in the HWC preventing it from separating.

Although I've had drinks forming their own whipped cream on top, I've never attempted to make butter in a blender. Nor have I heard of it. The blades would keep it from forming, I would think.

You're better off with either a hand mixer or (better yet) a stand mixer, in my opinion.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Although I've had drinks forming their own whipped cream on top, I've never attempted to make butter in a blender. Nor have I heard of it. The blades would keep it from forming, I would think.

You're better off with either a hand mixer or (better yet) a stand mixer, in my opinion.

my grandmother used to whip-up HWC BY HAND with a FORK and make luscious whipped cream topping for pie. then sometimes she would continue whipping and make home-made butter. i can't imagine how strong her arm was!