Dave aspray rapid weight loss protocol. 1-2lbs a day!

Options
Darkladyv
Darkladyv Posts: 17 Member
Hi, I'm in week 2 of the rapid weight loss protocol and I am am looking for other people to chat to who are on on it too?

The claim was that you could lose up to 1-2lbs per day. I personally an losing about 1lb per day which has literally blown my mind! Usually I lose 5lbs then cannot lose any more and I'm up to 12lbs on on this diet.

I'm not hungry, full of energy and sleeping great. Everything it said it would do which is the first time a diet for me has lived up to the hype.

I'm on supplements every day to make sure I don't don't get sick which were pricey but I'm saving a lot on food it wasn't too bad.

What's other people's experiences of it? I started off on keto, then went to intermittent fasting then went to the rapid weight loss protocol and I only had a mild cold from detoxing which was nice.

Keen to hear from anyone out there on on it :-)

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Good for you if that is actual loss from stored fat. However, in general I would personally be sceptic about any diet plan that lure with a 1-2 lbs weight loss/day. From my knowledge and experience of dieting...very rapid loss or gain is fluctuations in water weight. Carb bloat is real. But that's not a real fat loss. Expectations of a 1-2 lbs loss per day are not realistic, IMO. Good luck :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - the only real way to know what is happening is to be measuring your Body Fat Percentage daily. Only then will you have a good picture of the results! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think it's not unusual at all to lose 12 lbs in 2 weeks on low carb, depending on how much you have to lose. You can find examples of it in lots of the threads on here.
    Definitely agree that a good portion of it is water in the beginning. Which is why you find even more threads on here asking why they stopped losing after a few weeks or a month in.
    So, I just want you to be prepared that a day will come, probably in the next week or two, especially since you're a woman, where one of three things will happen. You will either lose nothing, or lose very little or you will show a gain on the scale. WHEN it happens, just know, this does not mean you gained fat. It's water, hormones and gut contents and they fluctuate all month long, causing lots of ups and downs on the scale.
    So, while I'm super excited for your success and enthusiasm, I'm worried you will be disappointed when you hit that change.
    I have The Bulletproof Diet and I think it's a great book and plan, though I don't follow it exactly. I'm mostly interested in his biohacking stuff. I do think the promise of up to 1 pound a day can set someone up for disappointment and they might think it's not working for them if it doesn't happen that way or if it stops happening that way. But, the progress will still be made if the person stays low carb and is able to achieve the hunger control and countless health benefits that come with it.
    Congrats on finding the way to get healthy that works and makes sense and has you feeling awesome!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi DarkLadyv. I'm happy for you that you've found something that is working for you. 12 pounds gone must feel great! Keep up the great work, however, as Foamroller and SunnyBunny point out, don't get too discouraged if progress starts to slow down.

I looked at Dave Asprey's Bulletproof diet plan:
    Very basically -"Target 50-60% of calories from healthy fats, 20% from protein, and the rest from vegetables." I haven't purchased the Bulletproof diet, but those are pretty much my macros and I don't follow a specific plan other than focusing on eating foods that are Low Carb -High Fat. I've also become more aware to which veggies in terms of keeping carbs in check.

I lost very quickly at first without feeling hungry and full of energy, however much of it was water and bloat. Still it feels great to see that scale start moving. After 10 mos. I've now leveled off to .5-1 pound a week. (now at a 40 pound loss) I'm also much older and probably more sedentary that you.

I'm also a big fan of Kerrygold butter and MCT oils which he advocates.

Good luck, And keep in mind it's not a race, but a lifestyle change that will keep the weight off for good and you feeling healthy and happy!
    (FWIW- since you asked the question. I'm all for experimentation, but as a mom, I'd tell you to stop suspending. WTF LOL. Be safe and explore your spirituality in other ways. that's just me. (hugs))
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i read a little about it, does it really say to drink the coffee+butter combination for each meal for 5 days. Alternately just eat butter/coconut oil/fat. No protein and no carbs for 5 days???
    then go back to regular food on day 6?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    i read a little about it, does it really say to drink the coffee+butter combination for each meal for 5 days. Alternately just eat butter/coconut oil/fat. No protein and no carbs for 5 days???
    then go back to regular food on day 6?

I didn't notice that in the book, but I mostly read the stuff about supplements and stuff.
    It just sounds like a fat fast. To fast track ketosis.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @Darkladyv what are the key elements of his rapid loss protocol? My weight loss slowed in January so I decided to increase fat and to do bulletproof coffee breakfasts for feb. Keep calories same. Weight flat line now for 5 weeks. I am calling it my bullet proof plateau. Love to hear what is working for you. I will change things for March so listening for ideas.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Darkladyv what are the key elements of his rapid loss protocol? My weight loss slowed in January so I decided to increase fat and to do bulletproof coffee breakfasts for feb. Keep calories same. Weight flat line now for 5 weeks. I am calling it my bullet proof plateau. Love to hear what is working for you. I will change things for March so listening for ideas.

Bump
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I remember the very first time I tried a low carb diet. It was in 1985, when I was in college. I lost 22 pounds in TWO WEEKS..... then I didn't lose any weight at all for 6 weeks. So, I lost my desire to stay low carb. And of course, I reverted back to eating crap.

Just saying, be prepared that this COULD happen, and if it were me, I would expect the quick weight loss to be followed by a stall.

BTW, I lost 25 pounds since the beginning of January, and have been up and down on a daily basis, with more up days than down days. And I have not gone off plan.

But good luck to you!