anyone on metformin?

Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    Last June I started changing how I did low carb and dropped 40lbs. My morning blood sugars were now in the < 100 range and we cut back my Metformin to 850Mg 2x a day.

Kudos!

How did you change your low carb regimen to see such a dramatic change?
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I used to see how few carbs I could eat and how deep into ketosis I could get. I'd do well for awhile then lose my mind and binge big time.

This time around I kept my carb count low enough to get and stay in trace ketosis but didn't shoot for anything higher.

With a few months of that under my belt I really lost my taste for sweets. Not all of it mind you, but I can have just a little and be happy.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Thanks. I used to see how few carbs I could eat and how deep into ketosis I could get. I'd do well for awhile then lose my mind and binge big time.

This time around I kept my carb count low enough to get and stay in trace ketosis but didn't shoot for anything higher.

With a few months of that under my belt I really lost my taste for sweets. Not all of it mind you, but I can have just a little and be happy.

Well, I'm impressed. Sounds like it's really working for you. Roughly what percentages of carbs/protein/fat do you aim for?

The 80-100 BG range of course isn't in the danger zone, but it's quite a bit lower than your previous levels. I'm curious what sort of hypoglycemia issues you're encountering - something like fluid retention or lack of energy?

Thanks!
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Doctor said to take 1000 in the am and 1500 at night, which will make for some interesting mornings LOL.

My fasting blood sugar has been in the 80 - 100 range for two weeks now. I'm quite pleased with it and looking forward to the Dr at the end of the month. That combined with the almost 20 lbs I'll be down should make him happy. I am noticing the weight is coming off easier with the metformin. It's like my body isn't fighting my efforts anymore at all.
  • cdebracy
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Well, I'm impressed. Sounds like it's really working for you. Roughly what percentages of carbs/protein/fat do you aim for?

The 80-100 BG range of course isn't in the danger zone, but it's quite a bit lower than your previous levels. I'm curious what sort of hypoglycemia issues you're encountering - something like fluid retention or lack of energy?

Thanks!

The sad part is I did most of that without counting carbs specifically. Last month I bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR and started tracking things. Right now I'm trying to target about 15% carbs, 40% fat and 45% protein. I'm not getting all the protein I want so may have to bump the fat up instead.

I'm definitely have times where I'm beginning to feel shaky. I'm testing 4 - 6 times a day at the moment to get a handle on it while my body adjusts.

When I do a TRX session of about 25 minutes I can see a 50 pt drop in my sugar levels. One night I got nauseous during the warm ups and had to give up. Pretty much screwed up the rest of my night even after I got my blood sugar up.
  • cdebracy
    Options
    Doctor said to take 1000 in the am and 1500 at night, which will make for some interesting mornings LOL.

My fasting blood sugar has been in the 80 - 100 range for two weeks now. I'm quite pleased with it and looking forward to the Dr at the end of the month. That combined with the almost 20 lbs I'll be down should make him happy. I am noticing the weight is coming off easier with the metformin. It's like my body isn't fighting my efforts anymore at all.

What is your morning blood sugar? If it's that low in the am your doctor should be ok with you lowering your dose a bit at a time.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Ah. Now I see where chaotic dreams might come in..... ;)

• RalfLott
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to target about 15% carbs, 40% fat and 45% protein. I'm not getting all the protein I want so may have to bump the fat up instead.

It sounds like you have a really good grip on what you're doing.

But just in case.... I wonder if this book might be a good resource for you: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance

(It's free on Kindle Unlimited.)

Dr. Phinney has a great podcast here - about 2 hours of informative and fascinating Q&A on weight-loss stalling, including many training-related questions.

One point he frequently comes back to is the need to set an upper limit on protein, lest you have too much of it in your body that's being converted to glucose. Of course, YMMV given your workout regimen.

• cdebracy
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to target about 15% carbs, 40% fat and 45% protein. I'm not getting all the protein I want so may have to bump the fat up instead.

But just in case.... I wonder if this book might be a good resource for you: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance

Dr. Phinney has a great podcast here - about 2 hours of informative and fascinating Q&A on weight-loss stalling, including many training-related questions.

One point he frequently comes back to is the need to set an upper limit on protein, lest you have too much of it in your body that's being converted to glucose. Of course, YMMV given your workout regimen.
    I appreciate the link, I will check it out. It looks like there is more to learn. I'm glad I was directed to this forum.

I'm also on TRT and my estradiol levels seem to have spiked and it looks like it's futzing with my blood sugar as well.

• RalfLott
    Options

I appreciate the link, I will check it out. It looks like there is more to learn. I'm glad I was directed to this forum.

I'm also on TRT and my estradiol levels seem to have spiked and it looks like it's futzing with my blood sugar as well.

How goes the battle?