Logging food on MFP makes me feel obsessive.

Options
I feel like I spend too much time logging my food, weighing my food, preparing my food. When will this end?

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Obsessive works for me.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not constantly washing your hands, obsessing about health is a good thing. :)

But I gotta say, I only weighed my food a couple times just to see how good my estimates were. Likewise, I stopped logging my food once I understood portions, nutrient content, caloric content, etc.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I never did it for more than a couple of days at a time. I'm almost OCD with it but noticing trends I would not have had I not been logging regularly. More info is good. You won't need to weigh food much. After awhile you'll know what something weighs and not think so much about it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, in my opinion.

I usually eat the same things, especially during the week, so I get a pretty good idea of what the nutritional information is.

If you keep at it, it will get better.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hear what you're saying (hubby teases bc I won't grab a handful of something, I weigh or count, claims it's borderline eating disorder but he doesn't mean it) , but this is the first time in at least 6 years I've been happy with my body so I guess it's ok!
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yes it feels obsessive to me, and i have OCD. LOL
    maybe it's a good outlet for me b/c it's a healthy obsession.
    the way things are now, i can't imagine NOT logging food, but i do think one day that time will come.
    in 48 more pounds......................
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Obsessive works for me.

Me too! When I play it loose I get myself in trouble. My kitchen scale sits between my cutting board and my stovetop. Nothing goes in my mouth unless it can be weighed and calculated. I have half a dozen sets of measuring spoons and cups so I never run out. But I admit, I'm a bit obsessive by nature lol.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Every time I start tracking I feel the same way and it feels like a waste of time. Then I discovered what I call the batch entering process (BEP). In the morning when I have my coffee, I enter in what I'm having for lunch and (if I know) what I'm having for dinner. When I weigh stuff, I write the totals down on one of those dollar store dry erase boards so I don't have to keep stopping and entering in the data on my phone. I hated measuring and weighing salads before. Thanks to BEP, I can make my salad in no time!

I find BEP makes me stick more to my plan because I don't want to have to take out my phone and enter something else in. At the end of the day if I didn't eat a snack I planned or whatever, I quickly swipe and remove.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Once you get your entry banks filled up with foods you use all the time, it takes less than 3 min to log my whole day. I do it the night before so all I have to do is change specific amounts after mealtime.
    The app is MUCH quicker for that like @suesuarez said. It's a piece of LC cake.

One day you may be able to eyeball. Try to look at this as training yourself to do that.
    Personally, I'm working on mindful eating so that I will be able to go stretches intuitively.

It's a process.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Well, *not* tracking got me to 306lbs, so I'm ok with tracking. I discovered that I eat the same foods in cycles. Rarely do I need to look up food; the 4 pages of recent foods plus the recipes I've entered takes care of probably 98% of my food entries. I even eat the same foods when I eat out. I also pre-log the whole day at breakfast. It takes less than 2 minutes and then another 3 or so throughout the day to adjust the entries for accuracy. Really, if 5 minutes a day is going to keep me on track, I'm ok with that.

As someone with actual OCD, let me say that tracking food really isn't obsession. The only people I've heard say that with absolute certainty are people who are threatened by my success. And they can go f... pound sand.
  • workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    suesuarez wrote: »
    Every time I start tracking I feel the same way and it feels like a waste of time. Then I discovered what I call the batch entering process (BEP). In the morning when I have my coffee, I enter in what I'm having for lunch and (if I know) what I'm having for dinner. When I weigh stuff, I write the totals down on one of those dollar store dry erase boards so I don't have to keep stopping and entering in the data on my phone. I hated measuring and weighing salads before. Thanks to BEP, I can make my salad in no time!

I find BEP makes me stick more to my plan because I don't want to have to take out my phone and enter something else in. At the end of the day if I didn't eat a snack I planned or whatever, I quickly swipe and remove.

Really good suggestion @suesuarez! I usually make my meal and then input the data. I've been on MFP for a long time (but not LC) and still can't input my food in 5 min for the entire day. My food bank has about 5 pages full of different foods. I'll try your suggestion tonight :)

I think this way of eating is obsessive though. It's not a matter of how often we think of food, it's not being able to stop thinking about it, not being able to *not* track. I tried to stop tracking for 2 days, and I had to willpower myself to not do it on MFP, but I certainly did it in my head. I felt so uncomfortable with the idea of not tracking that I ultimately just inputted a guestimate of calories at the end of the night. If I can't stop doing something I want to stop doing, there's a problem, and this is where I am. I also don't want my children to think of food as something they have to weight and measure, and "obsess" over, but that's another post which is more about *dieting* in general and not about LC.

@samanthaluangphixay, @cdebracy and @baconslave ; True, I guess it's all about the practice, the process, and the learning. I've had years of learning to guestimate inaccurately, and so I get why I need the scale. It's just so time consuming because I don't eat the same thing twice in a row. I suppose I can try doing that though.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It feels obsessive for me too but I'd rather obsess now over my food numbers than later over my blood sugar and insulin numbers!!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If I can't stop doing something I want to stop doing, there's a problem, and this is where I am. I also don't want my children to think of food as something they have to weight and measure, and "obsess" over, but that's another post which is more about *dieting* in general and not about LC.

Some people work every day. Some people have life-long hobbies. Just about everybody brushes their teeth a couple times a day.

We don't call these obsessions because they benefit us.

Your kids are growing up in an environment that differs significantly from the environment their genes adapted to via evolution. Teach them some skills to cope with this strange artificial environment, and stop worrying about whether it should be labeled an "obsession."
  • workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    It feels obsessive for me too but I'd rather obsess now over my food numbers than later over my blood sugar and insulin numbers!!

That's very true @klkateri. I had gestational diabetes and had to inject insulin 3 times a day and measure blood sugar 5 times a day. That was awful, but in the end, I had a healthy baby girl!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day every morning. It takes me a few minutes.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I log, haven't weighed one thing yet--but the logging keeps me on track and adds to accountability big time---if you are stressed then find some way of managing it.

You're supposed to feel relaxed but with a gentle focus, try to guess a bit after you've been doing this enough time so not every food item needs so much time and attention.

Good Luck OP.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    If I can't stop doing something I want to stop doing, there's a problem, and this is where I am. I also don't want my children to think of food as something they have to weight and measure, and "obsess" over, but that's another post which is more about *dieting* in general and not about LC.

Some people work every day. Some people have life-long hobbies. Just about everybody brushes their teeth a couple times a day.

We don't call these obsessions because they benefit us.

Your kids are growing up in an environment that differs significantly from the environment their genes adapted to via evolution. Teach them some skills to cope with this strange artificial environment, and stop worrying about whether it should be labeled an "obsession."

my daughter is 7 and she sees me weighing and logging food. to her, i hope it shows that i care enough about myself to do these things to be healthy. i told her i am doing this for health, not weight.

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I can cheerfully ignore it all on holidays or out to dinner but still manage to be low carb. Daily, at home I use a digital scale and a micro digital scale where I weigh small amounts like my morning BPC butter n oil.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love logging my food now, When I was just watching calories and not keto, I hated it. Now it's so much easier with the food I am eating. I've logged every day without fail for the last 55 days but I don't feel obsessive. :)
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use my scale, measuring spoons and cups at each meal preparation. I feel I can relax once I know my portions are accurate. I do not completely trust my eyeball method. Three oz or six oz of roast beef? Drop it in the scale, be certain and then don't worry about it.