When is enough enough?

Options
cryptobrit
cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
Posting in a few places as about to go back to the way things were.

This is so bizarre. I am now at my heaviest since I was a teenager. The more I try to exercise and keep to healthy eating; the more the pounds are piling on. The only thing I can think of is to weigh myself at a different time of the day. I normally weigh myself after getting up. I am wondering if it could be due to being 'windy/gassy'? Even so, why the increasing weight so much? Woe betide ANYONE who says I MUST be eating more than I'm burning. I was less than this when I didn't exercise and ate what I wanted. Thinking what's the point? Might as well go back to the way I was before.

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,132 Member
    Options
    Remember, the scale in only one way of measuring your progress. Muscle is denser & heavier than fat so if you're getting stronger, that will tip the scales.

From everything I've read, if reducing your weight is the main goal, then portion control is the best way to go but each individual must tailor their intake to what works best for them.

Some folks can only lose weight through intermittent fasting; others will gain weight if they're doing IF. Some need to change the kinds of food they consume. Some need to each smaller portions more frequently (that's what works for me) so they're never really hungry.

A long way to say if the changes you've made aren't achieving the results you want, try something different until you find what works best. Give each change sufficient time to make a difference and keep track of your results whether via MFP or whatever method works best for you.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The other thing to check, if you are measuring your food accurately, is with the doctor. There may be a medical reason you are gaining. Just a thought.
  • anniesgolden
    anniesgolden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gained weight at first as well - gained 5 pounds but reshaped so much that my pants literally fell off of me. It was such an eye-opening experience that my goal is not a weight, it's a dress size.

If you're not seeing other differences - clothes fit differently, you have more energy, you just feel better, etc - then you might consider going to the doctor as Monte said. Unexplained weight gain was how my dad and grandma were diagnosed with congestive heart failure.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    As we age, our bodies can betray us. Get a full check-up, including bloodwork to make sure everything is functioning properly. (For me, it was TSH {thyroid}) Then follow the previous suggestion to try a different approach. One size does not fit all.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am at the Drs frequently because of my health conditions, so I know there is nothing wrong there. UncleMac: portion size is not an issue as I have always eaten 'kiddie size' portions, often having to ask for a doggie bag. I eat plenty of veg and salad. I am not normally a 'stodge' person who craves cake and chips; just the very occasional hormonal times
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I got what doctors would call an athritic hip. I have a hard time bringing my left leg up and placing my left angle on my right knee. To combat this, I go in the pool, tie tubing to my ankles and make the damn hip work. I'm kicking my left hips butt and it is responding. I don't want a hip operation. I like my hip. I think you need to make war with your metabolism. Challenge yourself. Do something you have not done in a long time.
  • cryptobrit
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mccmack wrote: »
    Challenge yourself. Do something you have not done in a long time.

Can you elaborate on this Mccmack? Remember everyone is different. 2 examples with myself. Last night I had a particularly bad night for overdoing it on the exercise. This is even allowing for the fact I adapt them to how I am at the time. I have not been able to make anything as I couldn't lift the bread knife or cut due to the pain and stiffness. My husband had to do it as is normal when I'm like this (frequently) and also lower me into my chair (I don't have him as my 'carer' for nothing). Him rolling me out of bed through the night and in the morning is normal. The other example was about 20 years ago although still very relevant. My excellent Dr at the time decided to go back to Ireland, and a new one took over. While he was a pleasant man, he had his own ideas. He persuaded me to try the then 'all the rage' graded excercise for my M.E./CFS. I knew deep down from my own efforts this would not work, but I was still willing to give it another go. Needless to say trying this regime had its consequences health wise. It is good to find ways around things to enable us to carry on as long as possible; but sometimes accepting and knowing our limitations is wise too. By all means, throw some ideas at me. I am always willing to listen.

• Mccmack
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Considering your limitations, I would suggest getting in a pool. I would think your inability to move is the prime reason why things don't change for you. Perhaps it might not be too difficult to shake things up by simply bouncing in the water.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What types of movement can you do? Gentle stretching?
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Mccmack: thank you for your consideration. I did used to go swimming a long long time ago. I found that the tiny cubicles for dressing, the exhaustion afterwards, and unusual for me, hunger, (which led to me eating in the cafe (hangs head in shame) ended up where I felt it wasn't worth it. Despite this though, around 2 weeks ago I had planned to go to the leisure centre to ask if they did any sessions for the disabled (how I hate that word); or at least the availability of larger cubicles which would make a heck of a difference. I was also very self-conscious due to struggling to find a swimming costume that was suitable. Nowadays though there are T-shirts and various coverings that are made out of swimming costume material that is good. I had a sample sent with advice on the correct size (because it was from an American website). So you have inspired me/given me a nudge :-) to get down there and enquire. You also said, "I would think your inability to move is the prime reason why things don't change for you". This is the thing though, since using MFP I HAVE been moving; with the even more careful eating I have been doing, plus additional exercise I hadn't done before, things should be changing for the better after 55 days. Allowing for the daily fluctuations, I went from 9st 10 to 9st 8 and back up again and past to 9st 10-5.

RodaRose: It varies. On a bad day I can't get out of bed. On a good day I can move about what might seem normally to other folk. I try to do a total of 1-1.5 hours a day of activity (in addition to normal activity). I have a good app called Dance Fit Studio that I use. This may sound funny after saying about my health problems, but the app includes Bollywood, Combat, Hip hop, Salsa, Aerobics, Step fit, Latin, Yoga, Pilates etc. Because they are aimed at beginners I can adapt these to however I am on any given day. Today has been a fairly bad day but I have thankfully still been able to get out; but not complete what I wanted to do as I couldn't walk properly. I am still determined to do the yoga, possibly Pilates, and my usual Qiqong though; at least as best I can :D.

After speaking to my daughter today, she is convinced from what I have said that it is underlying muscle, even if I can't feel it. She and her boyfriend have also started changing their habits again. Because of their work, in particular my daughter, they had got into bad habits for convenience. They have recently got motivated again to eat healthily and are using the Slimming World points and 'syns' system. They have not joined but are just using the wealth of info out there. I am getting weary to be honest of weighing and logging everything; it takes so much effort and time when I am already fatigued. I have thought about trying the SW system, but the only problem is that a lot of the scheme is centred around recipes which I can't always do. I know there is no ideal system, and it is finding what is right for the individual. Now I am waffling! :#
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to you and possibly with some input from your dr.

I've sort of reached my wits end now, too. I fell and hurt my bank and my ankle and my exercise and appetite are limited. I do what I can but I'm not a machine and I'm not going through life on lettuce and oats.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    @MostlyWater
    Love the remark about 'not being a machine' and not going through life on 'lettuce and oats'. I know what you mean. There are other things to do in life other than be obsessed with logging/weighing/measuring isn't there? This last 2 days I have tried to loosen up over everything. For the first time I went over by nearly 200 calories and interestingly this morning at long last my weight has dropped down again. I still think it's crazy only 2 lbs lost in nearly 2 months. If it wasn't for the fact my tum is steadily shrinking I would give up.
  • Mccmack
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I never post on the main boards when people start talking about cico. I don't consider it science, it is something that works for people who are healthy. But if a person is fighting disease, injury or anything that requires healing, those things require energy and food is energy to the body. Eating food that makes you fat does not appear to be a problem for you. Maybe forgetting about losing weight and eating to maintain or a bit more might be a better option. It might give your body enough fuel to deal with what it wants to deal with.
  • cryptobrit
    edited March 2016
    Options
    McCormack: I think you could be right. The only thing I have done differently (which has given a me a flatter tum: wish now I had done 'before and 'after photos) is the exercise. This I always knew was an issue of why I couldn't lose weight, and not so much the food. I had to look at what cico was and I see there are a lot of interesting articles of why it isn't an exact science; I will look forward to reading them. After looking at the SW regime, it seems to be based on the healthy eating regime I was doing anyway + allowances of syns for the treats. I have also read that SW works better for those who have tended to have been eating junk food. I think I will not get as obsessed about weighing and just eat :p only thing is, I wouldn't be able to log and check my protein intake.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Cryptobrit: I was diagnosed with CFS a long time ago and spent a decade getting over it. Docs had fewer answers then they do now. Make things as easy as possible. If the SW makes sense to you, then do that. :)
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Cryptobrit: I was diagnosed with CFS a long time ago and spent a decade getting over it. Docs had fewer answers then they do now. Make things as easy as possible. If the SW makes sense to you, then do that. :)

That is so true RodaRose. I have just made by 'pushing' myself the 'salmon curry in a curry' recipe my daughter told me about. The only thing is was anything but quick! Took me an hour to do. While it was delicious (served with giant couscous), I wouldn't like to know how long the recipes take if not in a hurry!'

I am still out on the SW regime. I like the idea of the syns, but then it gets complicated when it comes to food you can't prepare yourself. Most of the regime seems to be centred around preparing and cooking recipes yourself. Fine when in good health. If I am low on protein I will have a PHD diet whey bar, or a shake using the diet protein powder. Apparently based on the 20 calories per syn, that is 5 syns per item. Woe betide if I use the non-diet versions such as the hemp which I sometimes have. You are allowed 10-15 syns a day. So add my xylitol at 1/2 a syn, a bit of a struggle. They do ready meals but only 2 I would eat. There is a local group very close and I thought of going to enquire and how this would fit in with my 'bad days' which is quite often. But it is probable they would try and say come along and give it a go.

• RodaRose
    Options
    Right, the SW group would be helpful if you are up to dealing with them.
    The cooking otherwise looks like a lot of work. . . . maybe the group members can clarify / provide examples of how they do things.

• cryptobrit
    Options
    There is probably no harm in giving the local group leader a call and seeing what she says after I tell her of my situation. I am now at the end of my tether after putting another pound on; it is so demoralising after 2.5 months. I have actually stopped logging, weighing and calorie counting now I have felt so worn out with it all. It doesn't matter how many people tell me it must be muscle, I still feel like bawling my eyes out. I was happier before I started this even though flabbier round the middle. The only reason I have persevered is 1: to be healthier 2: to get that 'tummy flab' down even more 3: to get the weight down when being weighed for/during any medical procedures/reasons. I know without a doubt that MFP has worked wonders for many people. But I am coming to the conclusion sadly that it just isn't for me. The relief of not spending so much effort and time weighing is immense. I know what is healthy eating and this is why I feel it is so futile. If I do go eventually I will miss you guys though. But no point in struggling on when I am getting nowhere and the weight is creeping up and up. I find it hard to believe a middle-aged woman with health conditions can miraculously have her belly fat turn to 'ab muscle'
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Yeah, curry is waaay too much hassle even in good times. Hubby cooks things like that sometimes, but we are eating separate foods at the moment, so when I am cooking for myself, I use a max of three ingredients -- more often often one.

You might not need to focus on the belly. The body decides where to put on fat and where to take it off. Basically, I trust my body to handle that part of weight loss for me.

Logging has gotten easier after being here almost two years because I am eating the same foods (don't have to search the data base for new ones very often). And when I do feel overwhelmed as happens on occasion, I log a food item that is already in my list of foods and close enough.

Is "healthy eating" part of the stress? I am willing to buy packaged foods. Instead of cooking chic peas on the stove or in the crock pot, I eat them rinsed from the can.
    Good luck to you. <3
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also more about low effort lately. Nothing wrong with that.