Stress sucks as much as carbs for diabetics

Options
LowCarbInScotland
LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
Having gone from 310 combined units of long-acting and rapid-acting insulin a day to just 10 units of long-acting insulin over the last 3 months, I'm now seeing very clearly the affects of stress on my blood sugar.

My blood glucose is very steady most days, usually at about 100 fasting, never rising higher than 120 after a meal. Now, at the end of a week that featured mounting stress each day, with one hammer after another smashing into my life, I'm having blood sugar highs that equate with heavy carb consumption.

Despite increasing my insulin based on my blood sugars and what used to work for me, I woke up with a fasting blood sugar of 164 and even with a big dose of rapid-acting insulin with my zero carb breakfast, it's still 150. I admit, I didn't worry about my calories yesterday, and I went 100 over normal, but (a) that would normally not do much to me and (b) I only had 16 carbs.

Just thought I'd share, it's interesting to see what a devastating affect stress has on the body. I'm very disappointed right now as I will be significantly increasing my insulin further today, to levels that are higher than they would be if I'd consumed donuts all day yesterday. :disappointed:

But on the plus side, it's motivated me to head outside this weekend to go and explore the Scottish countryside and get some exercise.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That does make me wonder how it affects those of us with insulin resistance, too. I'm not diabetic (pre or diagnosed), so it just makes me curious, because life has been dumping bucket after bucket of stress on me the last 4-6 weeks, and I can't seem to lose a thing. If I'm constantly in insulin/fat storing mode, it would make sense.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It certainly does! All types of stress affect blood sugar.
    My daughter (T1D) was almost hit by a truck on her way to work one day. By the time she got to work, her blood sugar was very high even though it was totally fine when she left the house. It took ALL DAY to get it back under control, requiring many extra injections.
    Every time she gets sick, it's a full time job managing the blood sugar, which will run very high and be very difficult to get down even if she's not able to eat because of being sick.
    Stress affects all of us this way. But those of us that are insulin sensitive don't notice in typical ways. This is why when someone talks about being frustrated by lack of weight loss even though they are exercising A LOT and only eating 1000 calories or whatever, I try to mention the stress factor.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    That does make me wonder how it affects those of us with insulin resistance, too. I'm not diabetic (pre or diagnosed), so it just makes me curious, because life has been dumping bucket after bucket of stress on me the last 4-6 weeks, and I can't seem to lose a thing. If I'm constantly in insulin/fat storing mode, it would make sense.

That's kind of why I thought I'd share. We all know stress is bad, but how bad is it and how does it affect each of us individually? What can we measure, outside of going to a lab daily or joining a research study at just the right (or wrong) time in our life? Because I have a point of daily measurement to refer to, I can easily monitor at least one side affect of stress. Interestingly, my blood pressure is doing great. Pre-meds (10 years ago) stress definitely affected my bp, I guess the meds are stronger than the stress.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Girl! Isn't that what I told you? :wink:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting. And, we all handle stress differently. By the way, the Scottish countryside sounds delightful. :-)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Girl! Isn't that what I told you? :wink:

It is, @Sunny_Bunny_, but this was the same thing phrased from another angle, so it finally penetrated my noggin. That being said, since I ratcheted down the carbs intensely, and banished nearly everything with measurable sugar, my food control and sleep are getting better.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Stress is a killer especially if we stress over stress. :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options

That's for sure! That's why I'm taking a weekend roadtrip :smiley:
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dr Berg (yes, I know I've mentioned him before) has some very interesting videos on the impacts of various hormones on weight loss and the impacts of stress on hormones/weight loss. He basically says you will not lose weight if you have either insulin or cortisol (stress hormone) in your system. And I think it is the adrenaline reaction that causes your body to dump extra sugar into your system (fight or flight).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Stress upregulates cortisol, a hormone that increases blood glucose. Since stress isn't avoidable, you need healthy coping mechanisms.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options

A firm and whole hearted Ditto... same here, even same time frame!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Thanks @PaleoInScotland for sharing. Although many people say stress can stall weight loss without explaination. This is the first time I have read a reason /mechanism for how. Like @KnitOrMiss, I find this is a really useful way of understanding physically what is happening to us under stress. Time for some zen mindfulness meditation and yoga??
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This rings true for me, and the mechanics make sense from a flight-or-flight standpoint. When I started LCHF, it was on the heels of a very tough year involving a death in the family, a tough pregnancy, buying and selling a house, my daughter starting Kindergarten and taking it really hard, and my husband changing jobs. The baby weight stubbornly stayed put until all those stressors were behind me and I started LCHF. I hadn't had much trouble losing weight following my first two pregnancies.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    All makes really good sense... I want a road trip too! Just me, a good book on cd, no children, some snacks, alone, no children.... Did I mention no children?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Ah, that was a much needed break! My blood sugar is slowly coming back down without the need for lots of extra insulin. I have gained 5 lbs over the last week (with no carb increase), though hopefully it's just water weight as I sure as heck haven't eaten an extra 17,500 calories and I don't think my Quest Cravings PB cups did that to me. It's a bummer that cortisol can have such a devastating affect, even when you stay on track with your woe.

I just ordered a fitbit, as someone who's a bit obsessive about tracking and logging, I thought that would be the perfect motivation for me to finally get some exercise into my life. Since I can't eat the stress away, I figured I'd try and walk the stress away (and maybe eventually jog the stress away LOL).
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo, I'm right there with you on the no kids road trip!

@PaleoInScotland, I'm glad to hear things might be settling down a bit for you. Walking is great therapy in addition to calorie burning. I could use a walk, too.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I just ordered a fitbit, as someone who's a bit obsessive about tracking and logging, I thought that would be the perfect motivation for me to finally get some exercise into my life. Since I can't eat the stress away, I figured I'd try and walk the stress away (and maybe eventually jog the stress away LOL).

Good solution! I applaud exercise as a stress reliever. It works on an emotional level, a physical-emotional level, and lowers your blood sugar on a purely physical level.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

this is so hard to get stopped! Worrying about worrying is just plain silly. High BP in the doctor's office but normal to low at home. They believe me so far. As my dh says, I can worry about anything!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    I'm happy to share that after two weeks, my body has adjusted to the current state of chaos in my life. My weight, blood sugar levels and insulin usage has returned to where it was before my body went haywire. Ironically this took the same amount of time to recover from as a carb blowout, which really puts the damage of stress into perspective for me.

A new heart disease study was recently completed on women (which is awesome as we don't receive the same effective care as men because our symptoms are so different), and though most of us probably know this, it reaffirmed that stress and depression are leading causes of heart attacks for women.

http://m.circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2016/01/25/CIR.0000000000000351.full.pdf

I can say with certainty that my bad food habits are much easier to manage than my stress levels. I know when and why I'm making bad food choices, but there's rarely a clear line between the stress levels in my mind and the reaction of my body. Even though I may feel like I'm dealing with something effectively from a mental perspective, my body may have a totally negative reaction. There's definitely something to be said for achieving a strong mind-body connection, and for me, I know that exercise is the way to achieve that... which I'm finally working on.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I can say with certainty that my bad food habits are much easier to manage than my stress levels. I know when and why I'm making bad food choices, but there's rarely a clear line between the stress levels in my mind and the reaction of my body. Even though I may feel like I'm dealing with something effectively from a mental perspective, my body may have a totally negative reaction. There's definitely something to be said for achieving a strong mind-body connection, and for me, I know that exercise is the way to achieve that... which I'm finally working on.

Thx for sharing your insight.

It's a good reminder to try to stay mindful of things that may be weighing on you; even though you're not consciously dwelling on them, especially if you're tipped off by BP / BG levels that are high for otherwise inexplicable reasons.

As you've discovered, exercise (and dancing, singing, playing music, yoga... or anything else that's completely absorbing and enjoyable) can be like a magic trick.

PS I've also found kittens to be good stress antidotes, but unfortunately they're not really programmed for long, uninterrupted walks.....