Very new to LCHF and stressed about it!

Options
msty112
msty112 Posts: 199 Member
My doctor just recommended a LCHF diet for me this week after getting my blood work back. I have hypothyroidism, PCOS, insulin resistance, and gluten sensitivity. I am also in conselling for BED. I feel so overwhelmed!! I am a carb junkie and I don't even know where to start. The doctor recommended I eat no more than 100gm of carbs a day. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have a look at the Launch Pad for more detailed information, but first -- breathe. Relax. You can do this.

First things first -- get rid of all the obvious sources of sugars and starches in your house. Breads, cakes, pastas, potatoes, etc. If it's not open, donate it to a food bank. If it's bread and is open, feed it to the birds. If it's pasta and open, take it in to your local school for craft projects. Make paint, glue, or play-dough with the flour.

That alone will get you really far to your goal.

You'll need to start changing the way you think about and build meals. Base them around things like meat and eggs. Then, add non-starchy vegetables, like salad, broccoli, asparagus, etc. Desserts are now things like berries and cream or a piece of dark chocolate (the darker, the better; check your store's natural section for good dark chocolates without a lot of added crap).

At the store, shop around the perimeter -- fatty meat/seafood, full fat dairy, nuts, produce and frozen vegetables. Everything else is not human food.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When my DH and I started on this it blew our minds. I was raised to think "bacon=bad" and was raised on a very low fat, high carb diet. You will need to work through a new mindset; that more than anything helped me accept this WOE- how I think about "healthy" foods. Now: carbs hold no sway over me as they are now trash foods. Like @dragonwolf said, not fit for human consumption.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    We ALL felt stressed about altering our WOE to low carb, I would bet money on it. Any change to your normal routine, your favorite foods or your go-to snacks is stressful. For my personality type, the best way I got through the beginning was to do what I had to to keep the carbs low. Many don't buy into that method and choose the cold turkey route. I would've been miserable, though. So I bought myself some of the Atkins treats/snacks for when I was feeling particularly rough and struggling. It helped me a ton, but I know that it actually makes it harder for others. You have to be your best judge. If you think eating something sweet (like an Atkins treat) will make you want to hit the tub of ice cream in the freezer - then find a different method that works for you. Those treats didn't prove to be triggers for me, they were more like crutches to get me through the beginning phases. Now (only 4 months doing this WOE) I rarely eat the Atkins things. I always take one with me if I go to the movies or some place where everyone will be having treats. That way I feel like I'm not missing out or being looked at funny. There are still some things that are hard, but mostly after the first month you start to find a stride. Your BFF should be pinterest or google. If you want something from your pre-LCHF WOE, google it with "low carb" or "keto" attached to it. That was one of the best tips I got!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that if you adopt the mindset that carbs are an addiction for you, and treat all carbs like an alcoholic or heroin addict would treat their substances while trying to quit, that it would serve you well.
    If you could go cold turkey into a zero grains, starches and sugar plan, staying under 50g a day (personally I think aiming for 20 would get you past withdrawal faster but I'm trying to not be too hard core on you), and avoid eating any of the low carb sweets and artificial sweeteners you'll find all over the place, that within one week, you will be amazed at the way your body responds. And that after 2 weeks, you will not be relying on will power to keep you from eating those foods you once loved, because the metabolic process that always tells you that you NEED those things will start to adjust and the call will fade into the background.
    It's really important to know that there's a cause and effect that drives carb cravings. You can take control of the cause and eliminate the effect. One you make the switch in your body, it's no longer mind over matter. You will have to start out relying on will power though. But you can do it! You deserve it! You deserve to feel good and healthy and strong! And you absolutely can get there and start feeling that way as soon as a few days in. It will only get better and better as you continue too.
    Some tips to get you started

1. You will need to forget all the dogma associated with eating fat and salt. You NEED FAT AND SALT. It's absolutely vital to your success on a low carb diet. You need more salt on low carb because your body doesn't hold onto water. Any inflammation you currently have will go away and you'll lose lots of water from it and by using up your stored glycogen. Getting low on sodium leads to other electrolyte deficiencies too.
    2. Instead of thinking about foods you "can't have", think about foods that will lead you into a new healthy life that you love and fit the plan. Bacon? Eggs? Cheese? Good, fatty steak? Butter? What's not to love?
    3. Lose any ideas you have about "eating 3 meals a day" and snacks and that certain foods are for breakfast and stuff like that. Eat when you want and what you want (within plan of course) whatever time of day works for you.
    4. In your first few weeks, DO NOT COUNT CALORIES. You really don't ever have to count if you don't want to. There's too much that's already new about this for you and lots of adjusting your body will be going through. Do not add worrying about calories to that list. If you want to do it later, after you've gotten the hang of how and what to eat, that is totally fine.
    5. READ THE INFO IN OUR GROUP LAUNCHPAD. super helpful stuff in there.
    6. Ask questions. Our group is very active and have all kinds of levels of low carb and various different approaches. You'll find its a very supportive environment.

That's all I've got for now since I have to get ready for work (eeek) but you'll get good tips and advice from many others I'm sure.
    best of luck to you!
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I assume you're in counseling with a therapist for your BED? Sometimes, knowledge is the best "cure". Perhaps if you talked with a nutritionist - someone who knows about BED and LCHF - and if the nutritionist explained a detailed diet plan to you that might work for you - then perhaps you might feel less overwhelmed about all of this.

Education is the key, and although we are a very good resource for you as well, I think you'd be very well served by getting a detailed explanation about your nutrition needs, what you're doing with regards to nutrition now, and a plan of action for you to take in terms of specific meal plans - like eat A, B, and C for breakfast.

I also agree with others, including Sunny, about carb restriction - that's key to this WOE. I'm just presenting this as an addition to their already-good advice :smiley:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I understand. I am a celiac and very low carb due to insulin resistance, so I had my days of "but what can I eat?" ;) the first few weeks are scary but once you start feeling better and settle into a routine, it gets easier.

My advice would be to do lots of reading. Books that helped me were Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, Wahl's Protocol, the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Obesity Code, Wheat Belly and Cholesterol Clarity.

I also liked Jimmy Moore's and Peter Attia's blogs, and Jason Fung's youtube videos. Educating myself made embracing this woe much easier.

My advice would be to drop all grains and GF substitute foods. They'll be high in sugars and starches. No one needs them, we just want them. Avoid all sugar added foods too.

That leaves meats, seafood, eggs, nuts, olives, avocado, full fat dairy, veggies (limit starchy root veggies like potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc) and a few low GI fruits. The first week eating this way takes work but once you start to feel well, it gets easier.

Considering increasing sodium too. Electrolytes often get low when people first cut carbs. Salt your food, drink broth or even sat your water. It helps avoid headaches and fatigue.

Hang in there!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @msty112 it sounds like you have about half a dozen reasons to go LCHF for life like I did. Yes it is crazy at first but 18 months in it feels natural and at 65 my health and health markers are better than at 45. You are very young so you can avoid wrecking your health the way I did for 40 years by living on carbs my making a one time change in your Way Of Eating. Best of success.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I run a bakery out of my home so eliminating all flour and sugar from the house is not possible. The bread, cakes and cookies I can live without, even rice and pasta aren't that big of a deal. It's the fruits, root vegetables and beans that are going to be very hard for me. I do have an appointment with a dietitian in a few weeks. My BED therapist suggested not cutting carbs extremely low at first as she feels it could lead to a binge.

A big struggle I'm having with this lifestyle is that there is a lot on the CAN EAT list that I don't like. I can't stand the taste of coconut, I have yet to find a way to make avocado platetable, and I'm not a fan of fatty meats or oily foods. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, I just want to find to do this lifestyle and still enjoy food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Avocado puréed with cocoa, stevia and some cream cheese is very yum.

If you go for the refined coconut oil the taste of coconut is very reduced. I ave one son who is not a an of coconut either but the more refined oil is fine for him. Ghee is a good tasteless fat too. Butter is always good.

So, are you a celiac? If so, running a bakery could be a very dangerous thing for your health. That would be very very hard to keep yourself safe. :(
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten great advice already! Let's take baby steps here. Stop eating bread, pasta, rice and potatoes.

Let me make ordering out a little easier for you.

Jimmy Johns does their sandwich as an "Unwich" - basically all the fillings of a sub wrapped in a few big romaine leaves. You can make these at home too, there's youtube videos showing how to wrap them. I think they use two leaves. This is something I order all the time and I think it tastes better as an unwich.

Mc Donalds - pick off the buns. Ask for extra lettuce and eat the burger like a salad. I'm not sure if they have a lettuce wrap option.

Red Robin - This place DOES wrap burgers in lettuce if you ask. You can also ask for a side salad or side of broccoli. If you do get a salad, pick a low carb dressing, ranch is usually a safe choice. No croutons, no tomatoes.

Subway - Any of their sandwiches can be in a bowl. I like the double chicken salad myself.

I hope this gives you a few ideas. Take it slow and do some reading over at /r/keto on Reddit, their FAQ is great. Don't count calories for now.. get used to this way of eating (WOE) first and don't stress yourself out.

Foods I regularly eat: Eggs, bacon, sausage, big mac salad (romaine lettuce, thousand island, cheese and cooked ground hamburger on top of the salad), whole avocados, cobb salads, broccoli, cauliflower, pepperoni, and LOTS OF CHEESE! Blue, pepper jack, cheddar, mozzarella. A serving of almonds as my snack, or very dark chocolate (90% or over). Most leafy greens are completely fine!

No croutons on salads of course.. :lol:

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Oh and you can add me as a friend if you want, my diary is open!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi @msty112! I'm so glad you're here, and I hope you find the healing you need.

In your original post, you said that your doc wants you to try LCHF at 100g carbs per day or less. Later you mentioned that you're worried about avoiding fruit, root vegetables and beans. You could still eat those in moderation and come in under 100g carbs/day. Is there any other reason you have to give up those specific foods?

Maybe it would be a helpful exercise to list out some low carb options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks that you can live with. Flourless egg muffins for breakfast maybe? Tuna or chicken salad over Romaine or spinach for lunch?

I wish you great health and happiness!

Mary
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    msty112 wrote: »
    I run a bakery out of my home so eliminating all flour and sugar from the house is not possible. The bread, cakes and cookies I can live without, even rice and pasta aren't that big of a deal. It's the fruits, root vegetables and beans that are going to be very hard for me. I do have an appointment with a dietitian in a few weeks. My BED therapist suggested not cutting carbs extremely low at first as she feels it could lead to a binge.

A big struggle I'm having with this lifestyle is that there is a lot on the CAN EAT list that I don't like. I can't stand the taste of coconut, I have yet to find a way to make avocado palatable, and I'm not a fan of fatty meats or oily foods. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, I just want to find to do this lifestyle and still enjoy food.

It can be fun experimenting with new flours to make desserts. I too don't like coconut much but I used it to make cookies, carrot cake with coconut frosting and it is delicious.
    Do you like butter? I personally love it and it is what I use instead of coconut oil.
    I suggest you make a list of what you like to eat and see what meals you can make out of that. You will find that a 100g is a decent allowance, you can definitely fit root vegetables and even carb friendly desserts with a 100g. You just need to do a little bit of planning so that if something does not fit in under a 100 one day, you just save it for the next.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Filling the Cracks with Healthy Fats

Some low-carb gurus recommend setting a limit on carbs and proteins, then filling in the cracks with healthy fats (mostly avoiding polyunsaturated).

I was astonished and delighted to discover that when I started adding fats as crack fillers, lo and behold! - my hunger and snack urges subsided. Wow!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Your tastes can change, especially if you actively work to becoming more sensitive to the taste of sweetness by seriously reducing how sweet things you eat are. I was a major sugar binger myself. Specifically candy. And I drank diet soda and heavily sweetened my coffee. I completely cut actual sugar when I started low carb, but I didn't start reducing artificial sweetener for a little while later. The more I eliminated it, the better other food tasted. I couldn't imagine thinking a green pepper would taste sweet before, but now they do.
    It could happen that way for you too. Maybe some things you don't particularly like right now will become more appealing as your taste becomes more sensitive. I truly believe the sweet and processed carbs and grains desensitize our palette. Everything tastes better now! I'm even drinking completely unsweetened coffee and only drink LaCroix sparkling water, which has no sweetener at all. I used to think they were disgusting! Now I love them!
  • SaultperMan
    SaultperMan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A bakery? That's rough.

Once your palate adapts to the lack of sweet, you may find once intolerable food quite agreeable, especially when generously salted. Give it some time and revisit some of those foods down the road. You might be pleasantly surprised.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I do not eat fatty meats. I find sauces a nice way to flavour meats. I use almond flour or coconut flour as a substitute for flour (warning flour fluid ratios do need to be tweaked!). I started on less than 50g carbs and enjoyed great salads and could have easily added root veg in if I went up to 100g. I used to have a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee. I drink it black or bullet proof now.

Each person here has modified their diet for something that works for them. If something triggers you to binge then that would be off your list, like cashews and artificial sweetener are off mine. Lots of people can cheerfully eat both. Wishing you success.