Sour Cream and Bacon Chicken

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
Is this low carb? If not, how can I make it be?

8 bacon slices
• 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 2 (10 oz) cans roasted garlic cream of mushroom soup
• 1 cup sour cream
• ½ cup flour (all purpose or gluten free blend)
• Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
1. Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-low heat until some of the fat is rendered. Be sure that the bacon is still pliable and not crisp. Drain on paper towels. If you use this method, reduce the flour to ¼ cup. Or don't cook the bacon and proceed with the recipe.
2. Then wrap one slice of bacon around each boneless chicken breast and place in a 4-5 quart crockpot.
3. In medium bowl, combine condensed soups, sour cream, and flour and mix with wire whisk to blend. Pour over chicken.
4. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken and bacon are thoroughly cooked. You may want to remove the chicken and beat the sauce with a wire whisk so it is very well blended.
5. Pour sauce over chicken.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    The flour and possibly the mushroom soup make it not very low carb friendly. But then again, it might be not horrible divided by 8 portions.

Is the flour used as a thickening agent or breading? If used as a thickening agent, I know that xanthan gum is used for low carb recipes. But if you are only going to use it in this recipe, may not be worth the buy.

http://blog.qualifirst.com/coconut-flour-low-carb-gluten-free/

The link above mentions mixing coconut flour and water together like you would do with cornstarch as a thickener.

As for the soup, I guess you would have to read the nutritional information on the cans and then do a little math. The other ingredients in this recipe are low carb though.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The soup is 45g of carbs and 10g of protein 30g fat. The flour is 48g C, 6g P, 1g F. sour creme has 8gC. That should be the bulk of the carbs (if not all). So that's about 12.6 total carbs/per serving if it makes 8 servings.

According to the mfp database.

Also, I didn't see that you can use 1/4 of flour, so that would be a quick win right there to knock out 24g of carbs. I'd prolly try to use some of the bacon fat in the sauce as a matter of personal preference.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    That's not awful....
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yeah. If you make it, let us know how it turns out.

You can also use the MFP recipe feature if you plan to eat it again. I use that feature quite a bit. It's good to have those homemade staple meals saved so that you can plan and log quickly.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Yeah. If you make it, let us know how it turns out.

You can also use the MFP recipe feature if you plan to eat it again. I use that feature quite a bit. It's good to have those homemade staple meals saved so that you can plan and log quickly.

This is the best feature!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd definitely skip the flour and use Arrowroot, I find that it is a superior thickener. I'd probably also skip the canned cream of mushroom soup, as you could quickly whip up some sautéed mushrooms with heavy cream and again some of the Arrowroot and it will serve the same purpose. And I don't think it's totally necessary, but you could also swap out the sour cream for plain Greed Yogurt.

Overall, it's not that bad though, but it needs more bacon :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maan, I am so cooking this! It sounds yummy.

Crockpot?? Is that the same as a slow cooker?
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I would think so!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes, a crock pot is the same as a slow cooker. This looks easy to make even lower carb.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    And I don't think it's totally necessary, but you could also swap out the sour cream for plain Greed Yogurt.

Not necessary, unless you're hurting for protein (though with the chicken and bacon, you're probably making up for it.

Ironically, I just had what was more literally the title of this post. We had boiled chicken and cooked up some bacon to make "hot pockets" for my son to get him to eat more meat, and we had some extra shredded chicken and bacon that I had for my lunch. We shredded the chicken and bacon together, which added flavor to the thing as a whole, and then I melted some cheese onto it and tossed in some sour cream. It was actually quite tastey.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I made this for dinner tonight, and it was amazing!!! I halved the ingredients because there's only 2 of us. It's definitely going onto our regular menu :+1:
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wonder if instead of the canned soup you sub heavy whipping cream, some chicken broth. and a little bit of garlic powder. Then toss a few mushrooms (if you still want them) in a food processor.

I know the garlic powder can be a little carb heavy but a little goes a long way. The mushrooms aren't too bad if you count "net carbs". As far as the flour, I've heard Xanthan Gum can be used as a replacement, although I've yet to actually try it in a recipe. I found little packets in the "Gluten Free" section of Wal-Mart. (It took me forever to find them!)

Thanks for posting the recipe, I think I'll try this! :smiley:
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I can't wait to try this soon! I haven't been able to do cook it yet!! Yum! I'm glad it's turned out for some of you!
    Just wanted to say that I made this for dinner tonight, and it was amazing!!! I halved the ingredients because there's only 2 of us. It's definitely going onto our regular menu :+1:

Did you use the recipe I posted or did you tweak it some?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I can't wait to try this soon! I haven't been able to do cook it yet!! Yum! I'm glad it's turned out for some of you!

Did you use the recipe I posted or did you tweak it some?

I followed your exact recipe, just halved the ingredients. Next time I might add a dash of white wine and a tbs of mustard to the sauce.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    And I don't think it's totally necessary, but you could also swap out the sour cream for plain Greed Yogurt.

Ironically, I just had what was more literally the title of this post. We had boiled chicken and cooked up some bacon to make "hot pockets" for my son to get him to eat more meat, and we had some extra shredded chicken and bacon that I had for my lunch. We shredded the chicken and bacon together, which added flavor to the thing as a whole, and then I melted some cheese onto it and tossed in some sour cream. It was actually quite tastey.

I made 3 batches of shredded chicken in my crockpot yesterday and saved one batch just to make the above (chicken, bacon, cheese, sour cream) because it sounds delicious! Very similar to a recipe we have called "crack chicken," which my husband asked to have happen soon so I think this will be the day. Yum!