Favorite Road Trip Foods?

Options
redimock
redimock Posts: 258 Member
We're heading on a 12 hour car journey next week, and I'm trying to plan what food to bring so I am not tempted to cheat. Road trips have traditionally been a carb fest for me! I'm thinking that if I plan foods that I'll be somewhat excited to eat, it'll be easier.

What are your favorite road trip foods?

So far my ideas are:

Those individual containers of olives (or I may just do that myself)
Portioned cheddar cheese
Portioned almonds (portioned because nuts are easy for me to overdo - especially in the car)
Prosciutto
Salami

Nothing is all that exciting to me. I was thinking about maybe roasting some shrimp and eating them cold - that could be exciting. And I guess prosciutto is exciting, but that's another food I tend to overeat. It is SOOOOO good.

I'm not a big fan of what I call the "mayonnaise" salads - coleslaw, chicken salad, egg salad, etc., otherwise I could see those being good options.

Any good ideas? What are your favorites?

Replies

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and lots of coffee. :-)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds?
  • redimock
    Options
    Oh yes, coffee is definitely part of the plan! My HWC will be in the cooler. Hmmm, pork rinds... maybe? Sometimes I like them, sometimes I hate them. I am weird - I'll have to see how I feel when it gets closer :)
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Last road trip I got sliced salami and sliced provolone and made roll ups with them and put them in a small plastic box in cooler ...great for a snacking pinch. Take lots of water. My emergency treat is no sugar expensive chocolate (Lilys or Godiva). I also cut up apples which are not that low carb but it seems like I can't eat more than 1/4 of an apple with cheese lately. I pack the 70 calorie tuna and packets of mayo for a snack too because I love tuna. Cut up celery, red peppers and cucumbers with cream cheese for dip.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds have been a favorite road trip food my whole life! I also make a high fiber flax bread that is good smeared with cream cheese or almond butter. Turkey and string cheese is a regular lunch for me, too.

http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2011/03/09/no-carb-bread/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Jerky. If you want something crunchy, baked cheese.
  • lukos05
    lukos05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Going on a trip this weekend myself, just not that long! I've packed pre-measured and bagged pork rinds, macadamia nuts (highest fat content in nuts, I've found), bulletproof coffee add-ins, and pastrami/pepper Jack cheese rolls. Also my omega supplements and magnesium - can't leave without them!

My problem is that we'll be eating out with friends and I reviewed the menu to find I might be 'that girl' bringing my own dressing or butter to up the fat ratio to combat the higher protein/ carbs. Hibachi steak, iceburg lettuce salad with ranch (or my homemade version), and veggies was the best combo I could find.
  • redimock
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm hoping that planning ahead keeps me on track! :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    How about kale chips?
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Depends on how carb strict you are... I just had a small road trip and had all kind of stuff packed and only ate the motz cheese sticks lol. Any place you eat out can be turned low carb my go to (just because I know they do a low carb burger) is Hardee's. Always hold the ketchup for me. Have a fun trip!
  • workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went on a short road trip that made me drive 5-6 hours a day for 3 days. I stayed with my sister but they hardly easy may and they eat a lot of rice. I packed enough food for meals there too. I brought pickles, cheese curds (they're so salty and deliciously squeaky!), salami wrapped with cream cheese, celery, boiled eggs soaked in soy sauce (it's a chinese thing), almonds and bacon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    snap peas
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    Cheese
    mixed nuts
    jerky
    boiled peanuts
    sunflower seeds
    pistachios
    "tea eggs" (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51326/chinese-tea-leaf-eggs/)

If I'm doing "meals"
    Then low carb wraps (flatout etc) stuffed with something burrito like.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Coconut flakes
    Super yummy!
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Peanuts
    Pork skins
    Beef Jerky
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Low carb can be accomplished while traveling fairly easily. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want at any restaurant. Most will be happy to accommodate special requests since they're wanting your money, lol! I've found that I don't snack as much as I used to during car travel, so I tend to over pack the snacks ending up bringing home much of it.

You're doing great OP for planning ahead! That will be a great start to helping you stay on plan! I'm sure that success will be yours! Safe travels! Have a wonderful trip!
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Trader joes macadamia nuts
  • redimock
    Options
    boiled eggs soaked in soy sauce (it's a chinese thing)

That actually sounds kind of amazing. What do you do to soak the egg? (Dip it while you are eating it, or "presoak" it somehow? ;)

We won't be doing any restaurants on the road - 2 kids (6 & 4) means we want to get there as soon as possible! This is travel for a wedding though, so between the rehearsal and the wedding, I am hoping to be able to stay on track without looking super weird. :) But really, kind of so what if I do look weird - it's my college roomie and we've been friends for nearly 19 years (OMG, has it been that long....I am old :)).

Thanks for the tips everyone!

And wanderinjack - I only wish we had Trader Joe's!

• workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @redimock At home we just pour some soya sauce on the eggs and eat, but when traveling we boil them and put them in a container, peirce a hole in them (the size of a chopstick),then pour some soya sauce on them. Ideally, I like to dip, but on the road that could get messy!

Have a great trip and safe travels!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    boiled eggs soaked in soy sauce (it's a chinese thing)

That actually sounds kind of amazing. What do you do to soak the egg? (Dip it while you are eating it, or "presoak" it somehow? ;)

We won't be doing any restaurants on the road - 2 kids (6 & 4) means we want to get there as soon as possible! This is travel for a wedding though, so between the rehearsal and the wedding, I am hoping to be able to stay on track without looking super weird. :) But really, kind of so what if I do look weird - it's my college roomie and we've been friends for nearly 19 years (OMG, has it been that long....I am old :)).

Thanks for the tips everyone!

And wanderinjack - I only wish we had Trader Joe's!

Glance at my recipe for tea eggs too. Same concept.