What do you eat when you're sick?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
I've had a stomach bug for a day or so and have really been struggling with what to eat. My mother, a nurse, has said no fats or meats because they are harder to digest. And a past doctor told me that is you're feeling nauseous to stick to toast, rice, and other carbs.
What do you eat when you have a sick stomach?

Replies

• sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bone broth, pedialyte, spaghetti squash is what I had yesterday when my stomach finally calmed down.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon! It's a good question. When I had a bug a drank diet ginger ale and went off plan with a pumpernickel bagel. I'd prefer not to do that next time.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes to the broth! Add salt to maintain electrolytes! You can add an egg, making it egg drop soup too! Powerade Zero isn't bad in a pinch! Get well quick! Hugs!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I crave cream of mushroom soup when I'm sick, IDK why it's just the way it is and I allow the few extra carbs from that when sick. If I didn't crave that I would for sure do the egg drop soup!!! Bone broth too. I also found the lowest carb cough drops close to me was dollar general brand.... Also took Tylenol cold and flu.. Feel better soon!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, good question. I haven't been ill in the eleven months since going LC and I need to think about this in advance. It used to be majestic mountain ranges of pasta with butter and Parmesan; obviously THAT won't work. I'm thinking some kind of cream soup but it would have to be homemade and "homemade" as rendered by my husband would undoubtedly send me to the ER. So probably just cream with chicken flavor courtesy of Better than Bouillon.

Hey, that doesn't sound bad right this minute and I feel fine.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've had a chest cold for the last week. Made chicken vegetable soup yesterday. It helped some. Had Panera onion soup ( no croutons) for lunch today. Getting better I think.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Homemade chicken noodle soup, with "zoodles" instead of noodles! I've never been too sick to eat chicken. Here's what I'd make:

Chicken broth, like 6 bay leaves, water, carrots (not too many because carbs), celery, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and shredded chicken. Add more broth cubes if you want more chicken flavor. If you use fresh herbs it will make a big difference in flavor too. You can get the rotisserie chicken from costco for around $5 if you're in a hurry, or drop a few raw chicken legs in and let that cook with your veggies. When all the chickens shredded and the soups almost done, add in your zoodles.

Get well soon :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Oh I've seen recipes for cauliflower soup too if you didn't want to have any meat. I've never made it but I'm guessing it tastes like potato soup and I'm sure it's delicious too!