caffeine... please help

I need some way to put caffeine back in my life. I tried drinking coffee. It literally made me sick to my stomach. I feel so sluggish lately. Does anyone know of a tea I can get that has a lot of caffeince in it. I love tea. I havent drank much of it since giving up the sugar but I need something. I have so much school work with midterms and powerpoint presentations to prepare for. I cant seem to focus. I just want to lay down and do nothing.

Normally after the gym I am pumped but not right now. If I wasnt cooking some soup right now I would totally be laying down. This is not like me at all.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't drink coffee, but 15ml of MCT oil in a cup of tea gives me a good oommpphh.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    I need it right now... I havent been able to commit to buying the MCT oil. There is one brand that is sold at the health food store near my house but the bottle is so dang big. I am just now trying to get use to adding the coconut oil to my protein shake in the morning after the gym. I am scared to buy it and then not end up using it like I should. I have spent so much money on different things through this process.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I need it right now... I havent been able to commit to buying the MCT oil. There is one brand that is sold at the health food store near my house but the bottle is so dang big. I am just now trying to get use to adding the coconut oil to my protein shake in the morning after the gym. I am scared to buy it and then not end up using it like I should. I have spent so much money on different things through this process.

Yeah, can totally relate to the $$$$ spent. Just an FYI, MCT oil has no taste.

Another thing I use for energy are B12 tablets, the sub-lingual kind that you dissolve under your tongue. I pop 2 every morning, and I can really notice the difference when I don't take them.
  • gayle_moeller
    gayle_moeller Posts: 6 Member
    Hey,
    I love Tazo Awake, which is black tea. I also picked up Mio in green tea flavor which has quite a healthy dose of caffeine in it, a tsp in a bottle of water gives me a lift in the afternoon.
    Truly, a tablespoon of any high quality organic coconut oil (though mct oil is best) plus a tablespoon Kerrygold butter blended with 2 cups of coffee will get you zooming around if you're in ketosis.
    Good luck,
    Gayle
  • wishfullthinking79
    @Christine_72 I take 2 dissovle tabs in the morning too. I do not typically feel this way. It has just been the last few days. Man I feel lifeless. I cant take it. I cant afford to feel this way. I really just want to sleep, but then I am not so tired that sleep is an option. This just sucks.

@gayle_moeller the coconut oil I use is organic. I got it from the health food store. I only use half a tablespoon of it in my protein shake after the gym. ABout a hour after getting home I peter out.
  • wishfullthinking79
    I guess I will just have to go to the health food store tomorrow after the gym.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Yerba mate is a pretty good tea alternative.

You could do straight-up caffeine pills.

Or sugar-free energy drinks.

Or bodybuilding-type "pre workout" powders that are meant to give you a boost.
  • wishfullthinking79
    I went to sprouts this morning to buy the MCT oil. I have put it in my protein shake. Hopefully today will be a better day. I am getting ready now to do my review for one of my midterms.

@kirkor Believe it or not I use pre workout before I go to the gym.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I cant tell you how much I appreciate it. This forum has been so helpful..:)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    I've done a little preworkout now and then --- that tingly feeling from the beta alanine is something else, eh?
  • wishfullthinking79
    @kirkor I typically only do like .5 to 1 scoop in a small amount of water. I cant really drink a whole lot before I go because it will make me feel sick while I am at the gym. I wake up feeling a little nauseas in the morning so trying to take in a large amount of anything all at once just does not set well for me. Now while I am at the gym I drink a ton of water. I have friends that I work out with that barely drink anything the entire time we are there. I do not know how they do it. I end up filling up my 18oz bottle at least once sometimes twice just while I am there.

Yes, I get a tingle and buring sensation around the time I am doing my abs/core. I feel like it also makes me sweat more. Which I am ok with. I think the pre workout makes me feel like I want to do more. SO I push myself more.
  • wishfullthinking79
    I got the MCT oil yesterday. It was actually the first day in like 3 or 4 days that I was able to really focus and do some school work. Which was good because like I mentioned I need to get to business. I have a very busy week this week.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    You might also be low on fats in general, and/or sodium. Those two things tend to drag me down into Zombieland. Glad the MCT is helping!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    I am not a fan of drinking tea. That said, this is my absolute favorite tea because it has a lovely sweet flavor and virtually no sugar (>1) or carbs (>1) in a 12 ounce serving. Best thing of all about this tea...it contains caffeine!!

http://www.marketspice.com/store/products/marketspice-cinnamon-orange-50ct-teabag-package
  • tashabirdie
    tashabirdie Posts: 4 Member
    It can take a few weeks for your adrenal glands to recover from regular caffeine use. Once that happens you will have more energy and wake up feeling ready to go! It took me way to long tons art listening to my body about caffeine. Give the no caffeine 2 months and you'll love it! And, if you cut down to tea you won't feel much effects for a couple of days until your tolerance drops, then you'll start to get a kick from it.
  • wishfullthinking79
    @tashabirdie Thats the thing I did not drink a lot of caffeine to begin with. I gave up regular coffee drinking like over a year ago because it started making me feel yucky. Now that was hard.. Then I started drinking one ice cold cherry coke in the morning. I never drank the entire can either because as soon as it started to get warm I was over it.

I think I am starting to feel more like myself. I grew up drinking sweet tea. But I banned that from my house years ago because that stuff was making me gain weight and I had no self control when it was there. lol The tea now is more for when I need that little pep. Or when I need something other than water.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    A half cup of pickle juice is a great energy booster for me!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Karlottap wrote: »
    A half cup of pickle juice is a great energy booster for me!

Yup, the salt and other electrolytes is awesome!!