Advice for the easily injured?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
So ... I'm a 39 y/o female, at a healthy weight now, reasonably healthy although I do have MS. I've never been very strong and I'm 5'7" but have small bone structure and I've never had much muscle. I'd really like to make some progress with strength training but I seem to be easily injured. It seems like usually within a few weeks of trying a program (NROLFW, YAYOG, etc.), even though I watch videos, try to have good form, don't push myself too fast, etc., I end up pulling something in my back or something along those lines and have to take a few weeks off. A physical therapist friend did tell me some body types are more injury-prone and I might do better sticking to the machines, fitness classes or even water aerobics. :/ (At least until I get stronger.)

What advice would you have for someone like me trying to build strength? YAYOG is the latest program I've tried. I got the DVD (I also got the book Body By You, though I haven't read it yet since a DVD seemed simpler to start with) and I was doing OK with the novice timed sets and ladders. It was the circuit training that got me; I think the military presses and I ended up with major back pain for a few weeks. Any advice other than hiring a trainer to make sure I know what I'm doing? (Budget's a bit tight this year.) And if that's my only real option, advice on finding a good one? We are Y members.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is there a trend in terms of certain exercises causing injury?
  • macchiatto
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm not positive. My sense is back muscles were getting overtaxed and I couldn't always pinpoint one specific movement that did it. Planks and I think military presses that I can think of off-hand, but there hasn't been a clear trend.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Anytime I get injured I try to examine what caused it, and the cause isn't necessarily the exact thing you did when the injury occurred although it can be.

With MOST people the first place I tend to look is lifting technique to see if something is happening that could lead to an increased injury risk.

You could consider posting technique videos to see if there's anything going on.

I would eliminate any movements that cause direct pain.

I would also consider whether or not you're injuring the exact same spot every time you get injured.

I realize this is basically a rambly post on my part and it may not be any help lol.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    That does help. Thank you! :)
    I do know it's not the same spot every time. I'll try to ease back into YAYOG and if I have problems again I'll post some videos.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Anytime I get injured I try to examine what caused it, and the cause isn't necessarily the exact thing you did when the injury occurred although it can be.

With MOST people the first place I tend to look is lifting technique to see if something is happening that could lead to an increased injury risk.

You could consider posting technique videos to see if there's anything going on.

I would eliminate any movements that cause direct pain.

I would also consider whether or not you're injuring the exact same spot every time you get injured.

I realize this is basically a rambly post on my part and it may not be any help lol.

I agree with all of that. The basic premise, for me, is finding common causes of injuries and then using rehab, prehab, exercise modification or even exercise elimination to solve the issues. Just for example, it's one of the reasons I don't do pull-ups anymore, it's the #1 thing that causes my elbow tendonitis to flare up. Oh well.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thank you.

I do have one more question. Do you think there's anything to my physical therapist friend's advice that I should do machines, fitness classes, etc., instead, at least initially until I'm a bit stronger before switching to a progressive strength training routine of some sort? (She's more of a runner herself so I don't know if there's personal preference/bias at play.) Would that help with injury prevention for those who start out weaker than average? I suspect my back and core are especially weak. Also, for years after my first MS attack (15 years ago) my neuro reports noted 70% strength on my right side but supposedly muscle strength is symmetrical now.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Some people are hypermobile or just have poor development of stabilizing muscles. Those people (of which you may be one) could benefit from doing stability work for a while before focusing on large muscle groups. Stability work tends to be classic PT exercises or some of what is currently termed "prehab." Bird dogs, supermans (men?) band pull aparts, etc.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    OK, thanks. That's very helpful! I'll look into those types of exercises. The first two are included in YAYOG timed sets; maybe I should stick with that workout for a while before moving on to the other two in the rotation, since I didn't have problems with those.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,305 Member
    Options
    You mentioned your back began hurting after military presses. I used to have the same problem, and noted with some online instruction it was because of limited flexibility in my shoulders causing me to lean back while pressing, adding strain to my back muscles. Before you throw those once more into your routine, work on mobility & flexibility in your shoulders.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, @nossmf!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    To follow up, I talked to my new primary care physician and she referred me to a physical therapist. I'm not injured at the moment but thankfully the physical therapist was open to doing a more general eval and was able to identify weakness in several areas plus some hypermobility that might be contributing to my problems. I'm going to start going for an hour three times a week (since we're working on multiple areas) starting next week.

Glad to have a plan in place. Looking forward to getting stronger and and hopefully after this I can finally gain some traction with a good strength training program.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As an older person (60s) I found I was injuring myself a lot lifting weights, so I started working with a trainer that specializes in injury prevention during weight lifting. Made all the difference in the world for me. She is a form dictator, and she makes me slow down, start with less that I think I should, etc. etc. I also do a lot of things in a sequence so I build up before certain types of lifts, etc. I also do a lot of shoulder mobility exercises which has been amazing for injury prevention.

Also because I have arthritis in my knees, I do a lot of knee build up excercises, and I don't do certain warm ups (like jumping rope). I have been working on deep squats, and I am so much better, and my knees feel great. I think trainers who "get"injury prone individuals (for whatever reason) deserve a special place in heaven.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Your trainer sounds great, @Merrysix! Glad you've found what works for you!