Keto powerlifters?

Options
MsVino
MsVino Posts: 78 Member
Has anyone used keto while powerlifting for body recomp? If so please share your experience :-)

Replies

• Powerlifting_Viking
    Powerlifting_Viking Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Never used a keto diet for powerlifting. Mainly because hitting my weight hasnt been too much of an issue as i compete at 232 (which the weights changed this year in WA state i believe) but i moved so not sure. But i feel better when carbs are my energy source for competing. I'll only go low carb in spurts for cutting weight. How long have you been on a keto diet?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason to put yourself in keto (so health reason), then carbs are your friends to optimally fuel your workout (performance). Now, that is not me saying powerlifting requires high carbs compared to that of higher style metabolic training like bodybuilding, cross-fit, etc..., but the body is meant to operate on carbs as its primary fuel source. Trying to use fats and/or even protein as your primary fuel source is less than sub-optimal.

Google "Dr. Israetel and Carbs" for links to various videos and articles discussing carbs in the context of powerlifting and performance. His videos and articles he did with Chad Wesley Smith of Juggernaut Training Systems are very good reference material.
  • MsVino
    MsVino Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Viking, thanks for the reply :-) I've been keto 3 months now but am out of training currently with a few injuries. The recomp. Isn't for myself it's my training partner. Yes I can understand the comp. and carbs as fuel. Best of luck with you next comp. when ever that may be:-)

Cajuntank, thankyou also for your response. Each to their own I guess. I feel much better with my current diet then ever before and yes I'm aware of Dr. Israetel's thoughts on the topic.
    Also pre and post bloods suggest my body agrees with the change in fuel source.

Thanks again guys :-)
  • tdigirl
    tdigirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Keto lifter for 4 weeks now. Down 11lbs and strength gains are up. I recommend a slow cut to 40 grams or less of carbs. Keep the protein high and fat high. Check out Ketogains for help.