Newbie needing support

Donwilks
Donwilks Posts: 34 Member
Hi

I'm a classic yoyo dieter. Lost on SW but gained it all back twice, and some. Am now the heaviest I've been and feel awful. Even my fat clothes are too tight for me and I'm refusing to buy a bigger bra size! :-) I really need to do this. Have a holiday booked for August and I can't be the size I am now. I am looking for some support to keep me on track. Have tried the 5:2 before but only for a few weeks. I need to do it this time, but need that community support to keep me on track! Hope you don't mind me joining your group!

Replies

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Of course not. Welcome!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Nope. Everyone is welcome here and can talk about anything :)

There are a few newbies here and then there are the oldies like myself....5:2 since May 2013 and in it for life. The weekly post is for everyone and every topic.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hi there I am a newbie as well, and a yoyo dieter since 2012. I lost a good amount of weight (around 15 lbs), when fasting and eating only one meal a day 4-5 times a week, however that was not something I could do all the time. I am trying to see if the 5:2 is a better long term life approach. :) My goal is 6 weeks (to start), the reevaluate, see how I feel, then decide if I would like to continue or not. I think the hardest part will be not binging on nonfast days. Any tips for that?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    @Alairissa - imo key is to not want too much.

Stick with two fast days, if possible have two normal days in between. If you tend to eat too much on nfds (more than maintainance), you might want to count cals on nfds too (ME). I find it important not to overrestrict on nfds. If I do that, then I tend to start 'bingeing'. If you have a good feeling for when you are full, counting on nfds probably won't be necessary.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Alairissa wrote: »
    My goal is 6 weeks (to start), the reevaluate, see how I feel, then decide if I would like to continue or not. I think the hardest part will be not binging on nonfast days. Any tips for that?

This is a good plan. Exactly how I started. Six week trial and I've stayed almost two years now. I also find if I keep my breakfast low this helps me keep nonfast days low.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    @flumi_f Thanks for all the feedback :smile: I will just be more mindful starting off, and if I see that I am over eating, then I will start calorie counting until, I get a good handle on it.

@snaps27 I find that in general if I eat a small breakfast / no breakfast - my overall calories for the day stay lower then when I do eat breakfast. So I will probably be sticking with that.
  • Donwilks
    Donwilks Posts: 34 Member
    Thank you! Looking forward to talking to you all. I am finding the fast day fine whilst at work as can keep myself busy, it's when I get home my danger time. Love the fact that we can access the community posts on the app now! :smiley:
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Hello to @Donwilks & @Alairissa ! For me, counting calories is KEY! If I guess, I'm wrong. I have lost 6" from my waist from starting in oct'15. My only issue now, that I've settled in, is that I must make sure I eat my full calories on non-fast days. So for me, I must follow a calorie count and not deny any foods on regular days, just count the cals and that makes me aware of portion size.

Also Don, as soon as you come home, plug the kettle in and make some tea or hot water.... This fools the brain a little and by the time you're sipping something hot you forget to look in the cupboard! ;)