Do Calories matter on Low Carb?

Options
2»

Replies

• Blu3Hea7en
    Blu3Hea7en Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i always use grams with my scale. i find it to be much more accurate. with my scale, i can get down to (example) 1.5 oz. but with grams, i can get to .18 grams (i know these are not equivalent, just an example)

cups vary. i found one of my measuring cups that was actually very close to 1 1/4 cups.
    and especially tsp and TBSP.

Thanks ! I'm going to try grams now.
  • Blu3Hea7en
    Options
    Grams is more accurate than ounce so i hear. I'm in Australia and have always used grams, I have no idea what an ounce is.

ounces are tricky. a liquid/fluid ounce is one thing, and the weight of an ounce is another. i find grams to be much more accurate, even with liquid measure. even babies are measured in grams on scales when they are born - more accurate.

one fluid ounce does not necessarily WEIGH one ounce. i hate that!!! :D

Thank you for the helpful tip !!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for me

I eat low carb and a couple days a week I will do a hard defecit related to exercise.

It does help

I ate heavy and lifted hard over the winter and added about 18 lbs. so far in two weeks I have lost 7 pounds of some water related to carbs.

Dropping weight happens best for me when a few days are even and a few days at defecit. Exercise is the magic pill for me. Without it I don't enjoy eating as much as I like to. A 700-1000 calorie burn leaves me lots of room to enjoy a larger steak or chunk of Swiss cheese!

YMMV
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Blu3Hea7en wrote: »
    ki4eld wrote: »
    @Blu3Hea7en before you eat more, change your logging. Measure everything in grams. No more cups, halves, spoons. Grams only. Make sure you're measuring liquids in a liquid measuring cup or in millilitres. Once you're doing both of those *and* you're only getting 1100, we'll talk about "calories vs. extra weight you're carrying." There is some leeway when you're carrying an extra 100lbs or so, but tighten your logging first. Trust me on this one. At least in a few places with a few foods, I'm willing to bet you're eating more than you think. I logged "cups and spoons" for 3 months and then changed to grams. My cals upped by 400 cals daily on average just by accurately logging.

BTW why grams. I usually prefer ounces. a lb is a lb no matter how you measure it. Grams is usually used for science like baking. In culinary school we didn't use grams too often. Curious to know why you chose grams for measurement

Using grams is a bit more precise than using ounces, because there is less rounding in the number. It's also easy, when using grams, to look at the nutrition data for 100 grams of whatever you're thinking of eating, and see instantly what the percentages of fats, carbs and proteins are...if there are 80 grams of protein and 20 grams of fat in 100 grams of ground beef, for example, it's 80% protein and 20% fat - super easy!

To answer the original question, I count calories. I don't want to regain lost weight, and I'm not taking any chances. I don't think that eating under your calories will make you stall. Most likely, you'll have some days that you eat over, and some days that you eat under.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I do VLCHF (<50 grams of carbs) for better health and do not compute math as long as my bathroom scales shows my CICO results that make sense based on what I am eating and doing.

It is just the fact in my case as long as I do not eat sugar/grain containing foods I can eat all I want and maintain. This way of eating is awesome/enjoyable because there is not restraining physically or mentally because I can eat until I am full.

While I maintain at about 2500 if I counted and came up with only 1700 one day but was not hungry I still would not force myself to say eat a 8 oz/225 grams of Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I might drink a cup of green tea and a few sticks of celery and go to bed.

I am not against counting at for anyone because I had to do it for awhile but on a daily bases eating to hit numbers that at best are wild guesses would not be of a high concern in my mind. Computer software and charts are great aids. The bathroom scales will compute the net results of CICO without fail.

Keep in mind I am 65 and will use to way of losing weight that I will not do daily until my death. I yo yo'ed for 40 years and wrecked my health in the process is the reason I stopped dieting forever to lose weight. I am down 50 pounds and for the past year on VLCHF have maintained at 200 pounds and gained better health.

@Blu3Hea7en it sounds like you are doing great. Just keep a check from time (annual physical, free screening, etc) and stick with your plan. Remember if fat is leaving the body it is being burned so that is about 3500 calories. Say one is losing 1 pound a week and it is 25% lean and 75% fat that is giving you perhaps another 700 calories a day.

You are very active and young so you have a huge edge over someone like me. Keep up the good work so you do not wind up like me. I was 63 when I stopped eating in a way leading to a premature death and started eating for better health.
  • Blu3Hea7en
    Options
    I do VLCHF (<50 grams of carbs) for better health and do not compute math as long as my bathroom scales shows my CICO results that make sense based on what I am eating and doing.

It is just the fact in my case as long as I do not eat sugar/grain containing foods I can eat all I want and maintain. This way of eating is awesome/enjoyable because there is not restraining physically or mentally because I can eat until I am full.

While I maintain at about 2500 if I counted and came up with only 1700 one day but was not hungry I still would not force myself to say eat a 8 oz/225 grams of Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I might drink a cup of green tea and a few sticks of celery and go to bed.

I am not against counting at for anyone because I had to do it for awhile but on a daily bases eating to hit numbers that at best are wild guesses would not be of a high concern in my mind. Computer software and charts are great aids. The bathroom scales will compute the net results of CICO without fail.

Keep in mind I am 65 and will use to way of losing weight that I will not do daily until my death. I yo yo'ed for 40 years and wrecked my health in the process is the reason I stopped dieting forever to lose weight. I am down 50 pounds and for the past year on VLCHF have maintained at 200 pounds and gained better health.

@Blu3Hea7en it sounds like you are doing great. Just keep a check from time (annual physical, free screening, etc) and stick with your plan. Remember if fat is leaving the body it is being burned so that is about 3500 calories. Say one is losing 1 pound a week and it is 25% lean and 75% fat that is giving you perhaps another 700 calories a day.

You are very active and young so you have a huge edge over someone like me. Keep up the good work so you do not wind up like me. I was 63 when I stopped eating in a way leading to a premature death and started eating for better health.

I just had my physical Monday . My doctor wants to monitor me because when I started at 271 I had very high cholesterol and she's concerned with the high fat intake .
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Most doctors have concerns like this but more are grasping the old old way of looking at fats. Let us know how your numbers look over time.