New to Intermittent Fasting 16:8

Options
dcresider
dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Hi all. I'm new to intermittent fasting 16:8 and any advice will be appreciated as this is my first time. A little bit about me: I've run on and off for 15-20 years and currently tapering for a half marathon, I also do SL strenth training although not consistently due to my running. I'll restart after the half. I'm also a total foodie so I'm hoping this fasting will help me control my eating habits, lose about 10 lbs, lose fat, and gain some muscle along the way. All opinions are welcome.

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am a foodie too. I find this "diet" is perfect for me. I can eat the delicious foods I want. Cutting carbs/fats didn't work for me, I would just binge after a while. Now I try to limit my total calories to under 2000 once a day. It's so much less stressful :)
  • dcresider
    Options
    2000 calories a day? Are you looking to lose weight/fat? My total calories via MFP is 1270 calories + the extra calories I get for working out. Am I doing something wrong?
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I did go to other sites to figure out what my calories should be (I think TDEE is what it was called Total Daily Energy Expended) I am older, small, a women and far more sedentary. I was given 1350 as my daily. MFP gave me 1200 plus exercise. So I never eat my exercise totally back.
  • dcresider
    Options
    Thanks dasher60214. Looking at some other macro calculators, I get a range 1560 calories a day (includes activity) to lose 1 lb. a week. I'm not sure what's right any more. I'll check other sites and do some more research.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have been on holidays and haven't been checking in. Calculators are a great starting point but go with what your body tells you. I know that if I eat 1500-1600 calories I will maintain at my current weight. If I eat 1200 to 1300 I will lose at a good rate but will be hungry. There is a sweet spot in between.

Of course, that point has changed as my weight drops. HOWEVER, when I eat LCHF, I can eat more calories. I had to listen to the satiety point though and I do miss it. When I want one more bite because it tastes good. I find the mindfulness challenge of the LCD group helpful. If I only eat when I am eating and enjoy what I am eating, then I hear the satiety point signal go off.