I want to eat more GOOD foods--need ideas/help

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
Okay, I think that eating more is FINALLY working (slowly) for me. It has taken 10 months to get things back on track!

So here is my issue--When eating at a low calorie goal, I naturally made healthy choices most of the time, since that is the only way to keep calories low. Now I'm eating more, and probably will go up even more. But I'm finding it difficult to not go over in sodium and fat. Especially as I add more protein, I find my fat goes up too. And if i'm not careful I use those increased calories for sweets and chips!

So, outside of Greek yogurt and chicken breasts, what do all of you do to fill your larger calorie allowance? It needs to be fairly cheap, easy, and tasty, as I have a busy family. (Teen boy swimmers who never stop eating, and yet have like zero percent body fat). I do try to control carbs, but with the boys mentioned above, carbs will always be a part of our diet. So I try to keep them whole grain when possible.

Replies

• jaws052392
    jaws052392 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I recently jumped on board with eat more to weigh less and had to up my calories to 2700! ACK At first I was like, how the heck am i going to do this, but now I'm thinking how am i going to cut...LOL. Anyway, I personally stopped eating anything low-fat or fat-free, never really ate them anyway. I added nuts to my diet....almonds, walnuts...etc. I also like a toasted English muffin with natural peanut butter and sliced banana. I take a snack bag of grapes or carrots with me when on the go. I like fiber bars and protein bars...it helps to fill my fiber and protein goals. If we have chicken for dinner, instead of my old mindset of 3 oz, I have 5 or 6 oz. Turkey burger for dinner---i'll have one on a roll and the other I'll cut up in a side salad...for 6 oz, give or take.
    Hope that helped. I am still very new to the eat more mindset so my fingers are crossed that it will work for me because I am at my wits end. Good luck!
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options
    I've done really well when I have a large breakfast. It actually causes me not to get hungry until late in the afternoon. Which can mess with my meeting my goals.

I feel best when I've quick seared a New York strip or similar cut and then popped into the oven to finish off. I can get most of my protein that way and finish off the day with some greek yogurt, berries and a large salad with a bit of protein later. Or 4 eggs scrambled with a few bacon slices. Guess the farm girl upside dinner for breakfast proportions work for me. And always satisfied my growing teenage boys.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    Avocados are another great way to add calories, healthy fat, and fiber all at once. Plus they are YUM.