Work Meal

Options
xazazelx
xazazelx Posts: 26 Member
Hello,
I'm kind of new here and looking for advice.
I have a work meal that I can't get out of and my boss's wife is cooking for us all.
I have no idea what we'll be eating so looking for any ideas to limit carbs.
There were only be 5 of us there so not eating isn't an option.
Any ideas?

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What are your carb goals? Maybe you go a little over that day, but don't use it as an excuse to go too crazy. If they have veggies and potatoes, maybe ask for to potatoes, but extra veggies. You can also ask for just a taste of it. There's bound to be a meaty entre, I would just try to focus on that. As long as you eat, nobody's feelings should get hurt.
  • xazazelx
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    What are your carb goals? Maybe you go a little over that day, but don't use it as an excuse to go too crazy. If they have veggies and potatoes, maybe ask for to potatoes, but extra veggies. You can also ask for just a taste of it. There's bound to be a meaty entre, I would just try to focus on that. As long as you eat, nobody's feelings should get hurt.

Hi,
    Thanks for replying.
    I'm trying to stay under 20g of total carbs a day.
    I'm just hoping it's not pasta :smile:
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I entertain often, and I have learned to always ask, ask, and ask. (Then I take notes for when I see them again.) When it's for a larger group (I cook for 30-40 a few times per year) I always have a mix of proteins and dishes to cover darn near everyone's restrictions. Hopefully she will ask everyone for any food related restrictions. (If not, her bad!) And I always let everyone know the menu ahead of time. In today's world EVERYONE has something! Glutten free, vegan, no dairy, no red meat, nut allergies, glucose for diabetics...etc. The list goes on and on. And then there are the foods people simply don't like. They hate onions. They hate broccoli. They hate curry. They hate fish....etc. I still laugh when we invited our friends Greg and Anne over and suggested a baked salmon. He replied, "I'd rather eat a McDonalds!!". He hated salmon, LOL. I took no offense, it's important if you are going to entertain guests. My grandmother was allergic to potatoes, so any food can be a problem for someone. If they don't ask, she is going to have learn from her own mistake. You may not be the only one with a food preference. I really don't think it is 'polite' eating foods that you cannot handle, but I know many would disagree. Personally, I would pack a few things in my bag (cheese, nuts) and eat only the foods that on are my diet. If anyone is rude, it was them for not asking. IMO (and based on my experience!)
  • xazazelx
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I entertain often, and I have learned to always ask, ask, and ask. (Then I take notes for when I see them again.) When it's for a larger group (I cook for 30-40 a few times per year) I always have a mix of proteins and dishes to cover darn near everyone's restrictions. Hopefully she will ask everyone for any food related restrictions. (If not, her bad!) And I always let everyone know the menu ahead of time. In today's world EVERYONE has something! Glutten free, vegan, no dairy, no red meat, nut allergies, glucose for diabetics...etc. The list goes on and on. And then there are the foods people simply don't like. They hate onions. They hate broccoli. They hate curry. They hate fish....etc. I still laugh when we invited our friends Greg and Anne over and suggested a baked salmon. He replied, "I'd rather eat a McDonalds!!". He hated salmon, LOL. I took no offense, it's important if you are going to entertain guests. My grandmother was allergic to potatoes, so any food can be a problem for someone. If they don't ask, she is going to have learn from her own mistake. You may not be the only one with a food preference. I really don't think it is 'polite' eating foods that you cannot handle, but I know many would disagree. Personally, I would pack a few things in my bag (cheese, nuts) and eat only the foods that on are my diet. If anyone is rude, it was them for not asking. IMO (and based on my experience!)

Hi Karyln,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm hoping you're right and there will be a selection of dishes to choose from.
    I think I'll pack some snacks, just in case!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @xazazelx you might call her and ask if anyone has mentioned that your doctor has recommended you refrain from eating grains and sugar. Some one at work has surely noticed and mentioned it to the rest!?!? Or maybe mention it to your boss.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you're taking an SO, have him or her eat your carbs. My husband always takes care of that duty for me when I need to clear my plate :smile:
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If the boss wife is already a friend of yours it may be ok to mention it in advance. Otherwise I would just go and fill your plate mostly with the foods you want and very little of those you don't. Then just eat the good stuff. Always ok to decline bread and be too full for dessert.
  • baykay1010
    baykay1010 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree...It's not impolite to pass on a side dish that doesn't go with your WOE. I'd focus on things you can eat, like the protein (hopefully it's not coated in something you can't eat!) and a veggie side. Just do the best you can. I imagine if anyone asks just casually so "oh I eat low carb" or something to that effect" There will liekly be some "wow how can you do that? i love carbs too much" or the "oh okay, so did anyone...". You don't have to feel guilty for not eating everything provided...especially if she didn't ask if anyone has allergies/food preferences. In this day, it is almost rude not to ask this sort of thing before you plan the meal as everyone has something!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I say skip the worst things presented and double up on anything that fits well! If it's pasta I don't know - if it was me, I'd just have some and have a higher carb day than usual. I'm not super strict, though, so I may not be the ideal person to ask. I sort of go with "one day of higher carbs won't kill me" - now, if it's something I can't tolerate (like onions), well then I just skip it and say "I can't eat that, it makes me ill." (or if you're gluten free, that's a free pass on most pastas).
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    honestly when i first read your post, i was inclined to answer that i would eat anything and everything given to me at the party and just blow my diet for that night. i'm not one to rock boats. LOL if it were anyone but boss/boss wife, i would feel differently and would speak-up, but in that case, as long as it's not a weekly or monthly event, i would just enjoy. :)
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    For pasta, I usually just add a little pasta, like 1/3 of a normal serving and a little extra of the meat. Unless it's lasagna or something like that. Hmmm...maybe eatsomething fatty beforehand and only eat a little at the dinner.
  • xazazelx
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :smile:
    I'm going to make the best choices I can when I'm there and pack a few snacks, just in case.
    The meal is tonight and everyone has made me feel much less stressed about it
  • xazazelx
    Options
    Well, the meal is over.
    We were served a set meal of steak pie, potatos and vegetables.
    I ate the meat from the pie and green vegetables.
    Way over my usual 20g carbs per day but hoping it won't effect me too much
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i'm glad things went well. sounds like a very well-rounded meal, and you did have some options. :smiley: