Eating... anything?

Options
thrillho3
thrillho3 Posts: 50 Member
I've gained about 30lbs in the last 5 years and I'm not sure how. I think mostly stress?

In Jan 2013 at 206lbs, my doctor told me I had high cholesterol and was pre-diabetic. I decided I needed a change.

I read a lot about insulin resistance and decided to cut wheat and sugar out of my diet (I'd say I made about a 75% reduction in my consumption of these, realistically). I baked with almond flour and liquid stevia. I ran the gamut of at-home workout videos as well as riding my bike, and trying to at least walk 20min a day if anything.

Cut to July, and although I feel better cutting sugar and wheat out and exercising, I've GAINED weight and have grown (in inches). Right now, July 2 2013 I'm 214lbs. I'm only 5'5".

The only thing I can think of to explain this is that I was gaining muscle but also putting on lbs from eating too many calories of non-wheat and non-sugary foods. I had a blood test and found out my triglycerides were reduced by 40% but my cholesterol went up slightly. Again, my doctor told me to lose weight and eat low-fat foods.

Decided to join MFP in July. I'm finding it hard to come around to the thought that I can eat ANYTHING as long as it is within my calorie limits. Speaking of that, MFP told me I should be eating 1500 cal/day to lose 1.5lbs/week, but after reading this (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12), I adjusted my levels and now my limit is around 1900/day, which is way more manageable.

I guess what I'm asking is... has anyone had a similar journey to me? Can I really go back to cooking with flour and sugar and expect to lose weight, as long as I track and stay within my limits? Feeling confused and unsure... :huh:

Replies

• tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LOL, yes you probably can. I started in July of last year at 278lbs, I've never restricted any food group from my diet, I eat chips, ice cream, pasta, and all of the other things they say will ruin your diet but in moderation. I weighed in this morning at 189lbs. I'm 25lbs from goal weight and I intend on hitting that goal by Christmas(ish). The first thing I learned when I joined here after trying to eat 1200 calories a day for two weeks was that if I can't sustain the lifestyle long term, it's not worth it for me. So I started looking at things like the road map method, and as scary as it was to eat more and lose weight slower, it worked. Then I started strength training and learned about macros, and boy did that help. I now eat at a 40/30/30 ratio and absolutely love it. You can do this, take the leap of faith and be patient with yourself. Good luck!
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I really believe in the "Everything in Moderation" Theory. Stay within your calorie/sugar/protein/fat/carb goals, as long as it's within those limits, it isn't off limits. I may have big time blown my lunch today, but the icky goodness will be balanced out by the bigass salad I will have at dinner.

Pay attention to more than just the calories, but what those calories are made up of and decide how much it is worth for you.

No, I don't believe you need to give up flour and sugar, but I would for sure eat them in moderatation!
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    LOL, yes you probably can. I started in July of last year at 278lbs, I've never restricted any food group from my diet, I eat chips, ice cream, pasta, and all of the other things they say will ruin your diet but in moderation. I weighed in this morning at 189lbs. I'm 25lbs from goal weight and I intend on hitting that goal by Christmas(ish). The first thing I learned when I joined here after trying to eat 1200 calories a day for two weeks was that if I can't sustain the lifestyle long term, it's not worth it for me. So I started looking at things like the road map method, and as scary as it was to eat more and lose weight slower, it worked. Then I started strength training and learned about macros, and boy did that help. I now eat at a 40/30/30 ratio and absolutely love it. You can do this, take the leap of faith and be patient with yourself. Good luck!

Seconding this. While I have cut out bread and pasta, I have also found some variations. So if I really want a sandwich, I use sandwich thins instead if bread. Pasta? Follow the serving size. My wife does a lot of cooking and not only does she do comfort-food cooking, she cooks in mass proportions sometimes. We now decide daily what we will have for dinner, and as it is only the two of us, we only cook enough for -one- serving for each of us. Leftovers might work for some people. but for us they 1) let us have bigger portions if we don't pay attention and 2) Who needs a mixing bowl full of pasta to eat for days eh? I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic a week before our wedding last year, and only because I spontaneously decided to get checked out " just for the heck of it "!

We used to follow the big chunk of meat, nice crusty bread loaded with butter and itty bitty veggies plate layout before. Now we tend to split a chicken breast.. Like tonight was rice, broccoli, chicken and cheese. Enough for two bowls, not too heavy, and let me satisfied for 6 hours!

/sorry for de-rail!
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    I've gained about 30lbs in the last 5 years and I'm not sure how. I think mostly stress?

In Jan 2013 at 206lbs, my doctor told me I had high cholesterol and was pre-diabetic. I decided I needed a change.

I read a lot about insulin resistance and decided to cut wheat and sugar out of my diet (I'd say I made about a 75% reduction in my consumption of these, realistically). I baked with almond flour and liquid stevia. I ran the gamut of at-home workout videos as well as riding my bike, and trying to at least walk 20min a day if anything.

Cut to July, and although I feel better cutting sugar and wheat out and exercising, I've GAINED weight and have grown (in inches). Right now, July 2 2013 I'm 214lbs. I'm only 5'5".

The only thing I can think of to explain this is that I was gaining muscle but also putting on lbs from eating too many calories of non-wheat and non-sugary foods. I had a blood test and found out my triglycerides were reduced by 40% but my cholesterol went up slightly. Again, my doctor told me to lose weight and eat low-fat foods.

Decided to join MFP in July. I'm finding it hard to come around to the thought that I can eat ANYTHING as long as it is within my calorie limits. Speaking of that, MFP told me I should be eating 1500 cal/day to lose 1.5lbs/week, but after reading this (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12), I adjusted my levels and now my limit is around 1900/day, which is way more manageable.

I guess what I'm asking is... has anyone had a similar journey to me? Can I really go back to cooking with flour and sugar and expect to lose weight, as long as I track and stay within my limits? Feeling confused and unsure... :huh:

I would just say it sounds like you need to do portion control, honestly log what you eat [even that 2 tsp of sugar in your coffee], and view it often to see what the numbers say :) In every meal I try to do half my plate veggies, ideally fresh and either sauteed or steamed], a piece of protein about the size of my fist, and whatever else I want.

For example, breakfast lately has been a container of Egg Beaters perfect portions [is equivalent to 2.5 eggs I believe.. A little much for me personally but hey, it's protein], a zucchini sliced up and sauteed in a little bit of olive oil with some pepper and maybe a dash of salt [I have to watch sodium], and maybe some greek yogurt or tortilla chips .. Or whatever else sounds good :D Healthy Choice Frozen Greek Yogurt in Dark Chocolate Swirl is really curbing my sweet tooth :D

ETA: You can eat ALMOST anything.. Just not 1500 worth of ice cream ;)