March Mindfulness Challenge: Week 2 (3/8-3/14)

Options

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    March 10th

BW: LCHF 189 (5.1.2015)
    SW: 147 (March 1st)
    CW: 146.8
    GW: for March 142
    Exercise - Yup!
    Sleep - Very good.
    Calories - Good
    Carbs - Good

Something @ettaterrell had posted on my NewsFeed this morning really rang true. I'm back again after a wild ride this week. I have so much more success staying consistent with my eating and exercise. Even a 'small' slip like eating 12 Snack Factory Buffalo pretzel Crisps..(derr) doesn't help the process work. Even if it does fit in my macros, I am so much better off sticking to my 3 good meals instead of snacking. Consistency is the key for me.

@glossbones - I totally love the idea of a treadmill desk at work. Some folks here have standing computer desks. Heck, I'm on my butt 6 hours a day. Just getting up to walk to the kitchen and printer. On the other hand, thinking about being mindful, I wonder if I really could really do two things at once. If I'm reading emails, I think I might be distracted by walking and if I'm walking/reading I'm probably not focused on real exercise.IDK. Sort of like my mindless grazing. If I'm eating it's time to eat, not snack while working. I like to be able to multi-task, but perhaps compartmentalizing is a better way for me to divide and conquer.
    Thoughts?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've been having a rough week with my goals for some reason. It's not a feeling that I am splurging or giving in...or stopped caring. It's like my efforts are faulty. My calculations are bad, my snacking adds up, my meals are too much...it's like a weird combination of senseless reason. I don't even know what's going on, I feel like I'm 5 and I need someone to come and do everything for me. It's a strange, strange place to be in and I'm looking forward to it leaving. Mostly my caloric intake is off, but my carbs are also higher than I want them. Thankfully still under 100 total, but I was hoping to be closer to the 50 total zone. My hopes are not happening this week. Anyways - I'm trying to reel it in today and re-train my brain. I have to stop picking at things again (like the stupid BBQ pototo chips and ice cream). I don't know why I torture myself that way - my stomach/intestines are really quick to remind me about how those foods don't belong in my diet LOL. SO, onward. New day, I need to pay attention more and stop guessing or being lazy.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    @glossbones - I totally love the idea of a treadmill desk at work. Some folks here have standing computer desks. Heck, I'm on my butt 6 hours a day. Just getting up to walk to the kitchen and printer. On the other hand, thinking about being mindful, I wonder if I really could really do two things at once. If I'm reading emails, I think I might be distracted by walking and if I'm walking/reading I'm probably not focused on real exercise.IDK. Sort of like my mindless grazing. If I'm eating it's time to eat, not snack while working. I like to be able to multi-task, but perhaps compartmentalizing is a better way for me to divide and conquer.
    Thoughts?

I have a standing desk now, and there are some activities for which it helps to be sitting... like sitting allows me to use more of my body's energy to concentrate.

I saw treadmill desk tutorials that suggest standing for a while first to get used to typing and mousing that way. I'm sure for certain things (like photo manipulation) I might need to turn the treadmill off so I can have fine-motor skills. But I think for typing and such I would be okay, after three years of a standing desk.

I find walking hurts less than standing still, so as soon as I have the opportunity I really do intend to upgrade. Just... $699 is kinda ouch.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    MARCH 10
    Today was pretty good.
    SW: 153.4
    CW: 130.4
    GW: ~130 + any muscle gained ;)

Calories: 1389/1450
    Carbs: 35 net (my new goal is to stay around 30-40 net to allow for the increase in veggies)
    Veggie/fruit goal: Met
    Exercise: Rest day
    Sleep: I went to bed a bit earlier but had insomnia again.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Mar 10

SW: 247 (12/12, started keto)
    SW: 214.2 (Mar 1)
    CW: 209.6
    GW for March: 206
    GW for 12/31: 180

Be Mindful of:

Staying under 30 carbs daily -- Yes
    Logging at least 1 day ahead -- Yes
    Exercising 4 days per week -- 3 of 7
  • glossbones
    Options
    I overate last night in an attempt to avoid wasting leftovers. Amazing what I can talk myself into. My belly was so uncomfortable after, I may have to just accept that I'm going to be throwing out food this weekend.

It's kind of an NSV that this was WAY less than I'd eat in an evening before I was low carb, and I'd still have been eating.

Anyway, my mindfulness and my willpower are a bit at odds, clearly.

Dairy-Free, I'm quite please to report, hasn't fixed my satiety signal issues, nor has it improved anything else I was measuring.

I was planning to add in just butter for two weeks and then add in hard and soft cheeses after that, but I think I will instead join @FIT_Goat in eating only ground beef, and drinking only coffee and water. I would even cut out my precious eggs, and my less precious vitamin supplements. I am tempted to start today (technically that's still dairy free), but those damned leftovers...
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    March 11th

BW: LCHF 189 (5.1.2015)
    SW: 147 (March 1st)
    CW: 146.4 - down again.
    GW: for March 142
    Exercise - Yup!
    Sleep - Very good.
    Calories - Good
    Carbs - Good

Closing out the week on a good note. Got my avocado and salmon for lunch. So excited for the weekend.

@glossbones - 3 years at a standing desk! So cool. Saving my pennies for you :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    I overate last night in an attempt to avoid wasting leftovers. Amazing what I can talk myself into. My belly was so uncomfortable after, I may have to just accept that I'm going to be throwing out food this weekend.

It's kind of an NSV that this was WAY less than I'd eat in an evening before I was low carb, and I'd still have been eating.

Anyway, my mindfulness and my willpower are a bit at odds, clearly.

Dairy-Free, I'm quite please to report, hasn't fixed my satiety signal issues, nor has it improved anything else I was measuring.

I was planning to add in just butter for two weeks and then add in hard and soft cheeses after that, but I think I will instead join @FIT_Goat in eating only ground beef, and drinking only coffee and water. I would even cut out my precious eggs, and my less precious vitamin supplements. I am tempted to start today (technically that's still dairy free), but those damned leftovers...

WAHOO!

After you mentioning the bit about coconut oil...
    I still have dry mouth, nose, and eyes. And I was wondering...so I'm cutting out the coconut oil in the next couple days. I had none in my tea. But I'm starting to dry out now anyway. We shall see. It isn't the same as when it's in coffee. I prefer tea non-keto. I guess after that, maybe I'll nix the stevia? Maybe it's that I just can't do caffeine? Part of me thinks I need to just try a straight out AIP. That's going to suck.

DH showed me some articles and is convinced that if I move my carbs up to under 100g (out of ketosis) that I'll get better. Because the body requires glucose to make tears. He was quite adamant about it, so I had half a cup of orange juice before my workout yesterday and some cashews later and a carrot. I didn't end up face down in a bowl of ice cream, so that's a :+1: So I'll try it his way for awhile. Whatever. He laughed at me and mocked me when I said I was going to gain 5lb from going out of ketosis. He didn't believe it. He thinks keto is "woo" no matter how many times I tell him it's biology. I was 153.2 yesterday. This morning I was 157.2. I told him so. How do you explain a sudden overnight scale gain of 4lb? Going out of ketosis, dear, like I've said 80 times! Is it still "woo"? :rage:

The AS is staying gone even though it turns out that it isn't the only puzzle piece. I had a bad eye night the night before last. So bad I had a rip. I was dry as a freaking bone all day before that. And dry as a bone all day yesterday too. Last night wasn't as bad, but I still had to use a lot of drops so not much sleep.

Something has to be causing my autoimmune system to go wonky. I just don't know...

Oh well. I'm trying to keep from feeling down. One of my kids is having some emotional problems and that's not helping the stress level.

I think I'm just going to stop posting much. All I have to say is bad news. :disappointed: Sorry.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mid-week check in! Meant to do a weigh-in this morning, but I was eager to get in to work this morning (early) so I could leave early (TGIF!!). My best gauge is that I slipped on my size 8 jeans (the smallest ones I own) and I wasn't feeling squeezed into them or having MAJOR muffin top....as they are a pair that were given to me by a friend, I find they are one of the BEST mood improvers when my diet and exercise is going well...and also one of most disappointing downers when diet & exercise have not been going well....

Anyhoo...
    Goals for this week:
    *Starting tonight (3/8) - Eat at the table. (I have been good 2 of 3 nights on this....I REALLY need to clean my table off to create a more inviting appearance...I think that would help me keep this behavior going.)
    *Run 3 times this week (Ran 1 time this week, plan to run today and tomorrow to keep this goal...I did an hour long brisk walk last night, which was great!)
    *Make my breakfasts the night before for the next 2 days, so it's all ready to go (SUCCESS!)

I'm making some meal plans for the week that I hope will pay off for me. I am adding in more running, so I hope I will see the scale moving again very soon...well, once I step back on it. :D
  • glossbones
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I'm cutting out the coconut oil in the next couple days.

Something has to be causing my autoimmune system to go wonky. I just don't know...

I think I'm just going to stop posting much. All I have to say is bad news. :disappointed: Sorry.

Aw I'd be sad if you disappear! We understand what you're going through, at least in so far as stress and diet and resistant family members, even if not the dry eyes. Don't go away! We care! We care a LOT! (hugs)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - x2^^^ I may not post a lot but, I have to let you know, you are one of the main reasons I'm still here. I understand the frustration of our bodies not doing what they should be doing, physiologically. Hang in there.

How can your DH question what has clearly worked so beautifully for you all this time? I'm really not buying the your body needs glucose to make tears theory.

Anyway, you've got a huge support system right here at your fingertips. Sending hugs your way. ♡
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Something I've become mindful of in the past couple of days is that my stomach really can't handle the volume of food it could before. Which makes sense since I've been eating more calorie-dense food on this WOE. Working on stopping when I start to feel full rather than feeling like I should finish my serving b/c I already weighed/measured it or whatever!
  • macchiatto
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Big hugs @baconslave. We'd miss you if you stopped posting. We're on this journey with you no matter what happens. If you're in a tougher spot, that's OK, too; don't feel like you need to post less unless that's what's healthier for you.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Oh @baconslave! We here want to hear your struggles! If we can't bring them here, where can we bring them? I'm so sorry for what you're going through!! I wish I had an answer for you too! You know, as well as I do, that finding information (whether erroneous, or not) on what we want to believe, can be found. I'm sure you're DH would love to blame keto for your issue, but I don't believe keto is the problem. Since you've mentioned the AS, I would believe them to be a contributing factor before keto. But that's just my opinion without any scientific basis!

Hang in there hun, and post whatever you need to post, be it bad or good! As @glossbones mentioned, we do care, and we are hoping this malady gets resolved for you! I also hope your child is just adjusting to a new life phase, and not having any major issues!

Sending you a big hug! Sounds like you could use many today!! :blush:
  • macchiatto
    Options
    March 11
    SW: 153.4
    CW: 130.4
    Cals: Just under goal
    Carbs: 45 net
    Exercise: 2.5-mile trail run/walk
    Sleep: Not enough
  • reblazed
    Options
    Mar 11

CW: 206.0

Be Mindful of:

Exercising 4 days per week -- 4 of 7
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love many of these ideas!
    Adopting the following goals for until next weekend (at the very least)
    - Only eating at a table. I will get some spring flowers to celebrate.
    - Hike the to the local lookout 1x/wk
    - Prepare all food and stick to my plan; no buying snacks when out
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    getting a jump start on the upcoming week because i have some catching up to do and want to re focus on a streamlined eating plan for a few weeks..
    feeling a little scattered in the mindfulness department, yet somehow a pre-envisioned life is beginning to gel.. my mind is set on making a few things happen for me going forward and i have to say, so far - so good.. i'm not very good at organizing but i see progress..
    but, for this week i'm putting my mind on notice that attention must be paid to the eating plan so i don't let myself indulge in stress eating...changes in my life seem to make that more likely to happen..
  • reblazed
    Options
    Mar 12

CW: 206.0

Be Mindful of:

Exercising 4 days per week -- 5 of 7

NO change in weight --- up or down! Thought this a.m. my allergies were kicking in but by noon I realized the body is considering getting a cold. NOT going to happen ... lots of Vit. C and lots of meat protein for the next few days and I'll be back on track. KCKO
  • macchiatto
    Options
    MAR 12
    Calories: just under goal
    Carbs: Well, the carbicide after dinner threw me off a bit. :P That was about 30gm carbs right there, so I had 48 net today, 59 total.
    Exercise: Did my strength training!
    Sleep: Rotten little kids woke me up at 6:20 on a Saturday. They are so fired. :tongue DH let me sleep in but it wasn't as restful since they kept coming in our room ...