Ketones - question

Options
Tanukiko
Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
Im hoping one of you smart people knows the answer to this...are ketones produced only from the breakdown of stored fat or are they also produced from the breakdown of food you eat?

Im asking because I have had a dark purple keto stick from day 2 (which has to be a record for how fast I've gotten i to ketosis). Just wondering if ketones are a true indicator that some of my stored fat is being burned off.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Peter Attia has a detailed discussion of this, but the short answer is:

Does being in nutritional ketosis ensure negative fat flux (i.e., fat loss, or L > DNL + RE)?

Being in ketosis tells us nothing about this equation!

The other myth worth addressing is that the higher the level of B-OHB, the more “fat burning” that is going on. This is not necessarily true at all.

Many people who enter nutritional ketosis do so, I worry, because they believe it “guarantees” fat loss. I hope I have convinced you that this is not true. Nutritional ketosis is one eating strategy to facilitate negative fat flux, and it works very well if done correctly. It comes with some advantages and some disadvantages, just like other eating strategies.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MCTs make ketones so readily that when treating Alzheimer's patient with ketones, the patients are often not even eating a ketogenic diet - the just consume MCTs to get the benefits.

Ketones just mean fat is being used. Whether it is dietary or your stored at is determined by how much you eat... As I understand it. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Tanukiko wrote: »
    Im hoping one of you smart people knows the answer to this...are ketones produced only from the breakdown of stored fat or are they also produced from the breakdown of food you eat?

Im asking because I have had a dark purple keto stick from day 2 (which has to be a record for how fast I've gotten i to ketosis). Just wondering if ketones are a true indicator that some of my stored fat is being burned off.

@Tanukiko you are off to any awesome start.

Ketones are formed when we under 50 grams of carbs daily but there are a ton of hidden carbs we all learn about over time.

NO, we do not know where it is our stored fat or fat that we eat that we are burning. Well you can figure it out by deduction and that will come over time but is a NON ISSUE in my experience.

Read about Nutritional Ketosis which is a natural state that we develop when we eat under 50 grams of carbs daily.

If we will get into and stay in a state of Nutritional Ketosis most of the time we will burn some of our stored fat based on my experience even if the scales are not going down the inches will be going down.

There is NOTHING technical to compute or even grasp beyond keeping total gross carbs <50 grams daily. Well I do have to limit my protein to 70-90 grams daily which mean 80% of my daily calories needs to come from fats.

Keep up the great job and give it 90 days to see results. I did NOT lose even 1 pound the first six weeks of eating <50 grams of carbs day but I did lose inches. It was unreal but my fat face and chin was the first place I lost inches.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just wanted to confirm what I suspected which is that positive on ketostick is not end all be all of losing fat. I will take it as an indicator of moving toward keto adaptation and keep doing what Im doing.

I've lost all bloat (5lbs of water) in 5 days and I feel great! this is not my first Keto rodeo but want to do it for the long haul this time.