Question - Does HWC count as "food" for meds?

Options
redimock
redimock Posts: 258 Member
I just got the results of a blood test from yesterday that show I am low in potassium, so my doctor is putting me on a potassium supplement. It says to "take with food". I take my other meds (bp) in the morning with my coffee & HWC, and I don't usually eat until lunch. So, I am trying to decide, can I take the potassium with my coffee, or wait until lunch, or bite the bullet and eating something for breakfast.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, 30 days in, 11 pounds down, and bp medicine is already being reduced, so I definitely want to keep chugging along! :)

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the loss!

The potassium is probably in a salt form, and that could irritate an empty stomach. Probably best to take it after a full meal, but I imagine either way is fine.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Cream or milk should certainly count as "food" for absorption. Not sure on how much cream...I would ask the pharmacist. They're generally pretty knowledgeable.

My experience has been that no matter how you take something, take it the same way everyday consistently and you should be fine.

And nice job on the 11 pounds down!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    macybean wrote: »
    My experience has been that no matter how you take something, take it the same way everyday consistently and you should be fine.

This is exactly my outlook. I take potassium and thyroid meds ... one says take with food the other without. I take them both first thing in the a.m. so I don't forget either. No harm has come to me in the 2 years I've been doing this. Use whatever time works for you.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @redimock you are doing great.

I use HWC to coat the stomach if I want to take some Krill Oil or supplements like you are talking about. I use 4-8 oz but HWC is my go to desert. :)
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will give it a shot tomorrow and see how my stomach handles it.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No.... Unfortunately it doesn't! At least according to my pharmacist he says absolutely not.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    I just got the results of a blood test from yesterday that show I am low in potassium, so my doctor is putting me on a potassium supplement. It says to "take with food". I take my other meds (bp) in the morning with my coffee & HWC, and I don't usually eat until lunch. So, I am trying to decide, can I take the potassium with my coffee, or wait until lunch, or bite the bullet and eating something for breakfast.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, 30 days in, 11 pounds down, and bp medicine is already being reduced, so I definitely want to keep chugging along! :)

I was advised to increase potassium (although he didn't go as far as giving me a supplement) so I started putting 1/4 tsp of Nu Salt (potassium chloride salt) in my coffee in the morning. It cuts the bitterness of coffee and I really like it! So my vote based on personal experience is go for it
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I take all of my pills in the morning when I'm only doing water and coffee and tea with cream or Fairlife. It works for me. I say try it and see. The main issue is stomach irritation. I started with water, but had to add in a little tea and cream in between handfuls of pills. If you can do it with water, go ahead. If not, then you do what you have to do to protect your well-being!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    K+ with food, GI irritation...extra irritating if combined with anticholinergics. KCl is notorious for clogging feeding tubes if that better helps impart a visual cue
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Can you just take it with your lunch? If not prepare a bunch of keto breakfast muffins ahead of time, freeze them, and microwave one in the AM to have with your pills. They are very low carb and low calorie and take 15 - 30 secs to reheat.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    No.... Unfortunately it doesn't! At least according to my pharmacist he says absolutely not.

My said most likely just now when I asked her. Do you think your pharmacist has ever drank HWC?
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »

My said most likely just now when I asked her. Do you think your pharmacist has ever drank HWC?

Doubtful. But I work in a pharmacy, so it was a discussion we had and I explained why she was drinking the HWC. His opinion was absolutely not. He said to wait until her next meal. Felt the KCL would hurt her stomach without more nutrients. But obviously we all do what works for ourselves that's just what he said.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    HWC does work for me in times like this and we are all different. Has the pharmacist ever drank HWC straight? My wife has so that is maybe she said most likely HWC would work like a meal.

I asked at Walgreen's if they had Vit K2 and the pharmacist came out into the store and warned me K2 was too dangerous to sell to customers. He was not all that young but supplement info was not his strong point. He was unaware taking Vit D3 without enough Vit K2 could lead to heart and artery damage since Vit D3 moves Calcium into the body but without Vit K2 to direct where it goes in can clog arteries and build up on heart valves for example.

Let us know if the pharmacist actually has drank a glass of HWC.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    HWC does work for me in times like this and we are all different. Has the pharmacist ever drank HWC straight? My wife has so that is maybe she said most likely HWC would work like a meal.

I asked at Walgreen's if they had Vit K2 and the pharmacist came out into the store and warned me K2 was too dangerous to sell to customers. He was not all that young but supplement info was not his strong point. He was unaware taking Vit D3 without enough Vit K2 could lead to heart and artery damage since Vit D3 moves Calcium into the body but without Vit K2 to direct where it goes in can clog arteries and build up on heart valves for example.

Let us know if the pharmacist actually has drank a glass of HWC.

No, he hasn't ever drank a glass of HWC. I venture to say most people probably haven't. Myself included...I just....can't) Of course he hasn't taken blood pressure meds, statins, or most other things that he gives advice about either. He was answering the question from a pharmacists point of view. What he has been trained to do.
    I agree everyone's different in their body reacts differently to things, I guess the only way she'll know is to try it.
    OP didn't mention drinking a full glass of HWC, she said she puts it in her coffee. I would imagine if someone drink a full glass of HWC it would probably be the same as a meal. But that wasn't question that I asked. I was just trying to help. As a pharmacist I didn't really expect a different answer to be honest. They are pretty mainstream.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    I mean most people NOT doing a LCHF diet lol.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I lived to truly regret taking a med that I was told to take with food, with just a snack. That led to a trip to urgent care that led to a trip to the ER, and a thorough investigation of my GI tract with scopes. When I'm told to take something with food, now, I have it with a larger than usual meal.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My digestive track was a mess end to end at first so it would it be advisable to take the meds with a full meal. 4-8 oz HWC is very soothing to me but if added to coffee it is not so much in my case. I have to eat some real food before I take my Quill Oil or it can do a number on my stomach but I am OK taking fish oil on an empty stomach. Eating a couple oz of Philadelphia cream cheese is helpful in my case when I need a buffer if I am short on HWC.