Cheat Meal brought my food scale

Options
megemrj
megemrj Posts: 547 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Birthdays in my department at work mean ice cream cake. I thought about it and planned for it a few days in advance. I thought about:

1.Not having a piece at all but man it's ice cream cake!
2.Getting a piece and just guesstimate the entry.
3.Going crazy and not caring but getting as big of a piece as I want any way.

In the end, I did get as big of a piece as I wanted but logged it before going to work so I could account for it. I also took my food scale so I got exaclty the amount I agreed to. It really made a difference to know I'm only allowed a certain amount and know exactly that I got only that amount.

It was funny to see all of the faces of my co-workers when I refused to accept a precut slice BC it was on a plate I had not weighed already and then turn around and weigh my piece again and adjust (throw away any extra) down to my allowed size. No i was not being wasteful, as I was not the one who got to cut or hand out the cake.

Anyone else out there with funny peer situations?

Replies

• klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    We do cake at my office as well and I won't touch it or, I'll have "only a fork full"... I get looks but while they are all complaining about weight gain I'm the one losing!! Besides, they are used to my weird ways
  • megemrj
    Options
    I'm known as the odd ball at my office too. I'm a 41 year old female, tattooed rock concert going, workout finatic who eats mostly fat, loses weight, and is an accountant. I'm also known to show my macros to anyone standing by when I hit my percentages perfectly "oh yeah!! look 75% fat 25% protein 5% carb. I'm doing Awesome today."
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My food allergies get me out of any cake occasions. Never thought I'd be thankful for suffering food allergies.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also either have "just a fork full" (and log it) or none at all depending on the day. Luckily most of the goodies that come in are put over by the coffee pots a loooooong way from my office.

Yesterday, a vendor brought in bagels for everyone. I didn't take one (simply said "no, thank you" without further explanation) and a co-irker went nuts on me about how "they" say everything is fine in moderation. I replied that because of my IR I have to be very careful about what I eat (she knows this because every week it's the same battle). She just pushed and pushed and all the while I'm thinking "WHY does it matter so much to you whether or not I eat a bagel?"
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    We do cake as well. I have managed to avoid it over the past few months. Whenever I really, really want something and think it is worth, I have it, log it and don't regret it. Life's too short!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    We do pizza and cake at my office. I have celiac disease so I always just stand there with a mug of hot tea and be sociable for a few minutes and then head back to my office.

@dtobio what is up with those kind of people? I have had this happen before too. Maybe they know the bagel isn't the best choice for them either and they feel resentful of people who are able to say no? Hard to tell but it's annoying!
  • megemrj
    Options
    dtobio wrote: »
    I also either have "just a fork full" (and log it) or none at all depending on the day. Luckily most of the goodies that come in are put over by the coffee pots a loooooong way from my office.

Yesterday, a vendor brought in bagels for everyone. I didn't take one (simply said "no, thank you" without further explanation) and a co-irker went nuts on me about how "they" say everything is fine in moderation. I replied that because of my IR I have to be very careful about what I eat (she knows this because every week it's the same battle). She just pushed and pushed and all the while I'm thinking "WHY does it matter so much to you whether or not I eat a bagel?"

Unfortunately, whenever someone doesn't want treats at their home, they bring it to the office and it goes right on top of the filing cabinet at the end of my desk. Candy, chocolate, cookies, cake...

For example, I went to a friend's baby shower on Sunday and ate really well. I thought about it before hand and logged it after. I stayed away from the carbs & sweets. I left before the cake was even cut, not planned just the way things happened. Well my friend also works in my department... What do I find first thing Monday morning sitting practically at the end of my desk??? That cake! I have not had one piece. I was saving my cake macros for the ice cream cake, which I did enjoy guilt free.

Any given day there are some type of sugary sweets at the end of my desk. I keep a 85-90% dark chocolate bar in my desk drawer at all times for this reason and stress eating (as my job is deadline driven and very stressful). I have one square when the mood hits me and then I'm good for the rest of the day. Although, I do have to let my co-workers know when I eat it, because they swear the chocolate gives me attitude. Lol.

BTW, I can't control the placement of the sweets, I just happen to have the closest desk placed right dab in the middle of traffic flow for my department.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @anglyn1 I think that's exactly it. I think they figured I would eat like this for a week and then be stuffing my face with bread at my desk. That's the norm around here. Someone starts a "diet" on Monday and by Wednesday it's their cheat day, and by Friday the diet is over. I think misery loves company.

Best moment in all of this was when another low-carb co-worker asked for an idea of what to order at a restaurant. The previously mentioned co-irker bursted into the conversation with "that's not what you eat according to Facebook!" (DH tagged me in a post where he had lunch with his co-workers and one of them had a ginormous burger). Um . . . . hello? Food police much?

@megemrj That is so true- all of the carbage ends up at the office! You have some serious willpower!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I work from home most days, but when I have meetings at one of the facilities I work with, we're stuck in all day meetings with no breaks, including no lunch break. They just bring in huge buffet spreads for breakfast and lunch, including tons of sweets and cakes and we just eat and continue working. I have to be super strict with myself. If I ever gave in, there would be no going back. If I allowed myself one bite, it would turn into one big whole cheat day within 60 seconds.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @dtobio I think people really do get jealous when they see you are sticking to it and losing weight or getting in better shape. Misery definitely loves company. And can someone please tell me what "DH" stands for? I have seen it in several posts.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Dear husband
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    fludderbye wrote: »
    Dear husband

Thanks! I thought maybe that's what it meant but I wasn't sure.