Multivitamin Recommendation

Options
carlsoda
carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
Well...I have been sick since Saturday with no sign of improvement (super bad cold), so I wonder if I need to up my game with a better multivitamin. Any recommendations? I've just been taking the "one-a-day" brand, but I think I'll stop at my local food coop on the way home and see what they have. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @carlsoda I think we all struggle with that question. Over the years I have evolved into taking different things for different reasons since I found no multivitamin that was well balanced based on my research.

Fish oil was the first thing I started taking daily 20 years ago because it did take a bite out of my pain. Recently I have added Krill Oil. For my heart health I take Ubiquinol. Vit D3/Vit K2 is to clear my arteries of possible blockages and make my bones and teeth strong. I take Wobenzym daily for general health and cancer prevention. Of course I take Magnesium Potassium (aspartate) being on LCHF. PPQ (pyrroloquinoline quinone) and Pterostilbene are for cellular health/cancer prevention as is LCHF. I use some shilajit in my coffee each morning for 85 minerals and fulvic acid. Pain management is a positive side effect of LCHF in my case.

After years of studying cancer prevention in late 2014 cancer in a friend kicked me in the butt to start implementing/testing cancer protocols used around the world with reported success at some level. He pasted a few month later however but I stuck with testing different cancer protocols on myself. The above are the ones I do daily but there are others that I do from time to time and keep in stock should a case of cancer pop up in my household.

My OD degree enabled me to read medical research to some degree and over time I have learned if one is serious about preventing cancer nearly 100% of health issues are well covered to enable life spans to the max.

At 65 my health markers and general health is better than 20 years ago but I took a lot of damage abusing carbs for 40 years. I may die today but I am now trying to eat and move to live to be 110+. I have invited some that are 30 years younger to my 110th birthday to encourage them to live in a way to reach 80. :)

Actually what NOT to eat and do may be more important than what to eat and to do. The human body can adapt to a lot of negative conditions but will fail before its time.

About any one a day multivitamin is better than nothing but look at their sugar levels and additives. Google is what I use to learn more about anything. Trust no one source of info blindly even if the source holds a terminal degree. :)

We are all different in one way or another and if we will listen to our bodies they can guide us to give the body what it really needs for best health based on my personal experience. I knew for years I was giving my body what was wrong for it to be healthy. It took facing my premature death head on to make changes 40 years over due.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i can't take a multi-vitamin b/c i have a MTHFR gene polymorphism and can't properly absorb B vitamins. so i take about 13 different vitamins in their natural or methyl state.

for a cold, try eating 1000 mg worth of chewable vitamin C + zinc lozenges, per day.

:)
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I attributte being cold/flu free for the last 4 years to high zinc consumption. I eat a lot of oysters and snails but I would guess a supplement would work as well.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't the be there are many multi vitamins that do anything besides fill in very basic and incomplete needs.
    As far as preventing illness, I take 6000mg a day of vitamin C. I can't remember the last time I was sick.
    Check out info on high dose vitamin C
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Yeah my multivitamin has very little vit c in it, well I didn't stop today too tired, but since this a natural and organic food coop they will have some recommendations. Thank you :)
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Well...I have been sick since Saturday with no sign of improvement (super bad cold), so I wonder if I need to up my game with a better multivitamin. Any recommendations? I've just been taking the "one-a-day" brand, but I think I'll stop at my local food coop on the way home and see what they have. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Definitely look for ones without sugars and starches. I think with the water soluble vitamins they often get excreted in urine, but I take a couple of multivitamins a day (a Cenovis Multivitamins and Minerals and a Swisse Ultivite). I don't think they can do much harm and might just be useful.

Sometimes, I think, it's the trace elements and minerals that are more important than the vitamins - especially if the latter are in a non-bioavailability form and/synthetic (and a lot are).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Life Extension Foundation lef.org has a very good 2-capsule a day formula. It contains the more absorbable forms of the vitamins, not the cheap synthetics in most one-a-days. Good stuff! :)
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I take emergen-c every time I feel like I'm getting sick I load up on it. I never actually get sick. It's my magic packet. For every day vitamins I just got the ones from Doterra. And I think they are excellent!!!!!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    I take emergen-c every time I feel like I'm getting sick I load up on it. I never actually get sick. It's my magic packet. For every day vitamins I just got the ones from Doterra. And I think they are excellent!!!!!

Isn't emergen-c full of sugar? That's why I never buy it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Emergen-C is 1000mg of ascorbic acid with flavorings added. Maybe sugar... Idk. It will also cost you A TON more money than just buying
    the vitamin C tablets at Walgreens. Not chewables. They have only one bottle at my Walgreens, it's their store brand, that is 1000mg per tablet. When you take 6 a day in addition to other supplements you get tired of swallowing pills. Lol
    I just ordered this for when I run out of tablets next time.
    BulkSupplements Pure Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Powder (1 Kilogram) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYIM9Y8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_gKn4wbXSN2NEA
    I'll just add it to water and take it as a shot or put in some lemon and drink it throughout the day in a few cups of water. It's sour so it tastes pretty good with lemon or lime if it's diluted more.
    I also ordered this
    BulkSupplements Pure Magnesium Carbonate (Micronized) Powder (1 Kilogram) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOWINRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_LMn4wbPC8S8XM
    And I'll just put them both in the water.
  • carlsoda
    Options

Emergen-C is 1000mg of ascorbic acid with flavorings added. Maybe sugar... Idk. It will also cost you A TON more money than just buying
    the vitamin C tablets at Walgreens. Not chewables. They have only one bottle at my Walgreens, it's their store brand, that is 1000mg per tablet. When you take 6 a day in addition to other supplements you get tired of swallowing pills. Lol
    I just ordered this for when I run out of tablets next time.
    BulkSupplements Pure Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Powder (1 Kilogram) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYIM9Y8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_gKn4wbXSN2NEA
    I'll just add it to water and take it as a shot or put in some lemon and drink it throughout the day in a few cups of water. It's sour so it tastes pretty good with lemon or lime if it's diluted more.
    I also ordered this
    BulkSupplements Pure Magnesium Carbonate (Micronized) Powder (1 Kilogram) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOWINRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_LMn4wbPC8S8XM
    And I'll just put them both in the water.

Thank you! Great price for the magnesium!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I buy several of bulk supplements products. Really saves me a lot of money over buying tablets of anything at the pharmacy.
    I put collagen and ginkgo in my coffee in the morning with my MCT and butter. Barely effects the taste at all because it's so little.
    I've gotten into supplements a lot lately. Still others I want to incorporate but it's getting expensive! Can't put a price on feeling great though I guess.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I take super nutrition, 50+for women or super nutrition, women's blend 2. They have no sugar, dairy, or soy.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options

It works for me. When I feel like I'm starting to get sick I take it. Sugar or not, I've done it for years so I don't really mind. It's probably only about twice a year that I need it. So in those times I'm not really worried about the sugar in them. I work in a hospital and can't remember the last time I got sick. Sure plain vitamin c is probably better but this is just what I've always done. But I haven't had to use them since I've been doing LCHF yet.