Great Squat Video

Hey all!

I just watched this and I think it's one of the best how-to videos that I have ever watched and thought that some of you might find some value in it as well!

Enjoy :smile:

http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/secrets-to-mastering-the-squat-part-3/

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    I just watched this, so helpful.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Will watch later, thanks, Vegas!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    They are so awesome! I love that bit about the breathe- I will try that tomorrow.

I go through Lexington all the time, and am saving up for a training session at J&M. Can't wait!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    They are so awesome! I love that bit about the breathe- I will try that tomorrow.

I go through Lexington all the time, and am saving up for a training session at J&M. Can't wait!

How much is a training session there?

ETA: No problem :smile:
  • kirabob
    No idea, just figured it would be $$$$$$!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Oh, this is just amazing! Thanks for sharing, Vegas!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member

I was just thinking the same thing! Way to play a vacation!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    I've cheekily stuck it in the sticky so I can find it later! :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    It's mostly good advice. The split squat stance for unracking gave me pause--it's fine while the weight is light, but you do not want to introduce that kind of asymmetric load when unracking a heavier bar. I prefer to unrack with both feet under the bar, then make one step back. I was also mystified as to why the gal was squatting outside of the rack and not in it, and the business about "most women" not knowing how far to squat was surprising. From my observation at the gym, most *women* who squat have pretty decent form. It's the men who do little quarter squats with their necks craned up.
  • jayliospecky
    I think most people don't know how to squat properly, actually. They probably just said "most women" because that's the audience they are expecting to be speaking to.

Still haven't had time to watch the video (EIGHT MINUTES?!?! WHO HAS THAT MUCH TIME?!?!) hehe, kidding. It seems to me that I see a lot of demos of people squatting outside of racks - maybe because when they're demoing they're using light weights (for them) and it just makes it easier for the camera to get a good angle?

lwoodroff: You cheeky thing, you! :flowerforyou:
  • bumblebums
    I think most people don't know how to squat properly, actually. They probably just said "most women" because that's the audience they are expecting to be speaking to.

Still haven't had time to watch the video (EIGHT MINUTES?!?! WHO HAS THAT MUCH TIME?!?!) hehe, kidding. It seems to me that I see a lot of demos of people squatting outside of racks - maybe because when they're demoing they're using light weights (for them) and it just makes it easier for the camera to get a good angle?

Yeah, I agree it's probably got to do with the camera angle. She is only squatting with a bar in that video, no plates. And I hear you re: most people, I just wish they said it that way and didn't make everything about women specifically. The one thing they said about women-specific squat issues that I thought was interesting was about shoulder flexibility and bar position--but they didn't elaborate, and I wish they'd said more. I didn't understand why the bar position has to be higher for women. Does it have to do with the amount of muscle on the back or what? I use the low position as per Starting Strength and haven't had any problems...
  • kirabob
    It's mostly good advice. The split squat stance for unracking gave me pause--it's fine while the weight is light, but you do not want to introduce that kind of asymmetric load when unracking a heavier bar. I prefer to unrack with both feet under the bar, then make one step back. I was also mystified as to why the gal was squatting outside of the rack and not in it, and the business about "most women" not knowing how far to squat was surprising. From my observation at the gym, most *women* who squat have pretty decent form. It's the men who do little quarter squats with their necks craned up.

I was thinking the same thing about the split stance. There is no way I would want to do that with over 150 pounds on the bar - I always get in a proper squat position to raise the bar and then step back. But I find the info about not coming up in hyperextension to be very valuable- that's the number one thing I've noticed in other women who squat in my gym.
  • jayliospecky

Yeah, I agree it's probably got to do with the camera angle. She is only squatting with a bar in that video, no plates. And I hear you re: most people, I just wish they said it that way and didn't make everything about women specifically. The one thing they said about women-specific squat issues that I thought was interesting was about shoulder flexibility and bar position--but they didn't elaborate, and I wish they'd said more. I didn't understand why the bar position has to be higher for women. Does it have to do with the amount of muscle on the back or what? I use the low position as per Starting Strength and haven't had any problems...

Finally watched it. :happy:

They said if the bar is too low, you may end up using your arm strength to hold it in place. They referred to the "sweet spot", which as I recall is the same way they referred to it in Starting Strength? Or maybe that was Mehdi. Anyhoo, I suspect that because of the tendency of women to generally be more flexible than men, we may think that the proper spot is actually lower than it needs to be. I know I was doing that at one point, but then I finally figured out my sweet spot. When I held the bar too low it wanted to roll out of position during the squat and I did have to hold on to the bar more to keep it from doing that. Now that I found the right spot it tends to stay in place. It's still low, just not as low as I initially thought it should be.

It makes sense to me that since women tend to be more flexible than men we may have different tendencies to watch for. Plus the male and female bodies have very different centres of gravity. And of course there's individual differences in body mechanics. As they said, you could do a whole seminar on the squat, so you can't really expect to have everything covered in an 8 minute video.

I thought the part where he talked about Molly's particular issue with her right knee was interesting. I know my right side is stronger than my left and I'm still tweaking how to deal with it - it hadn't occurred to me that it would be okay to have one foot angled in more than the other. Interesting.
  • lwoodroff
    ooh 'females' that really irritates me. she talks about 'men', what's wrong with 'women'. 'females' is horrible!
  • jayliospecky
    ooh 'females' that really irritates me. she talks about 'men', what's wrong with 'women'. 'females' is horrible!

It is? :embarassed: (I used female in my post above.)
  • lwoodroff
    It's not wrong, just sounds like a wildlife documentary to my ear, dehumanizes a bit.. but that's my own filters talking, you may not be bothered by it at all!
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Bump
  • jayliospecky
    It's not wrong, just sounds like a wildlife documentary to my ear, dehumanizes a bit.. but that's my own filters talking, you may not be bothered by it at all!

Okay, yeah. It's not something that bothers me. Plus my background is in biology, so I'm quite used to using language like male/female.
  • lwoodroff
    Yeah, fair enough if you use that consistently but they talked about females and men, felt more unbalanced. *steps off high horse* :-)
  • bumblebums
    Yeah, fair enough if you use that consistently but they talked about females and men, felt more unbalanced. *steps off high horse* :-)

Hah, it reminds me of this immortal dialogue:

"As I must therefore conclude that you are not serious in your rejection of me, I shall choose to attribute it to your wish of increasing my love by suspense, according to the usual practice of elegant females."

"I do assure you, Sir, that I have no pretension whatever to that kind of elegance which consists in tormenting a respectable man."
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Thanks. I really needed to know about feet positioning because it's getting harder with heavy weights. I have a very short torso and look forward to trying the suggested technique for ladies built like me.
  • lwoodroff
    and apologies for derailing the thread!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    It is good that they encourage people to find a foot position that works for them, because it's important, and I'm sick of squat form videos that just say (or demonstrate) "feet shoulder width apart, toes pointing forwards" - it's physically impossible for me to keep my centre of gravity over my feet in this position, which is touted by so many as the "correct" foot position for squats. So it's nice to see that they're encouraging trainees to find foot positions that work for them rather than forcing everyone into a set format. Although it's not just about overall leg length, it's more about the ratio between the femur and tibia. I'm only 5'1" and have short legs, but can't stay balanced in narrow stance squats because my femurs are relatively long so my hips go too far backwards and my centre of gravity goes too far back.... wider stance with toes facing outwards fixes this as it limits how far back the hips can go, and I can squat just fine like that.

I'm female and I have really poor shoulder mobility, bad enough that it's stopping me having the best form for the OHP (I can't get the bar over my shoulders, it's over my head, and in the over-shoulders position I can't straighten my arms, even when OHPing a broomstick) I'm working on this of course... but the whole shoulder mobility thing they said does not apply to me at all.

I think it's not all that helpful to divide everyone into men and women, then discuss these issues... I think it's more helpful to view it like.... "if you have a trainee with very flexible shoulders...." as there will be men that this applies to as well. I have really wide shoulders, so maybe it's about shoulder width more than gender, although from what I've read previously the main cause of poor shoulder mobility is a lifetime of bad posture, i.e. hunched over a keyboard, sat on a chair etc. So this would apply to many women as well, but maybe more women do stuff like yoga and pilates before starting lifting so they start lifting without shoulder mobility issues....? while men are more likely to go straight into lifting and to avoid yoga/pilates due to being influenced by gender stereotypes. so trainers see more women with good shoulder mobility and more men with poor shoulder mobility, but saying "women tend to have good shoulder mobility so teach them like this..." is unhelpful as I'd need a trainer to help me to improve my shoulder mobility, and the way they teach bar position to men, i.e. the standard way, is what's best for me. rippetoe's video on bar position was the most helpful for me. (although I'd like to see a video on how to improve shoulder mobility and help with my OHP form (i.e. getting the arms back far enough))

But my point being that i don't think it's that helpful to divide people by gender before discussing these issues, as there will be men who have issues that are more common in women, and women who have issues that are more common in men. It's more helpful to treat the trainee as an individual and address issues that they actually have, not ones that people the same gender as them tend to have. Pretty much nothing in that video seems to apply to me. But then I've got used to being different to everyone else lol so I don't know why I'm surprised.... however taken as a "many women have this issue, this is what to do for women (or occasionally men) who have this issue" while explaining that it doesn't apply to all women, then it's all good :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

lol... I agree. I've heard this in reverse too, when I was at uni there was a guy on my course who would refer to male and female chimps as "men" and "women".... was a tad on the "don't you think you're anthropomorphicising them just a teeny little bit..?" side....
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

:laugh: :laugh:
    Yeah, that kinda bugs me too..always have.

I always want to ask 'female what?....female chimps?...hedgehogs?....giraffes? 0.o
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Hah, it reminds me of this immortal dialogue:

"As I must therefore conclude that you are not serious in your rejection of me, I shall choose to attribute it to your wish of increasing my love by suspense, according to the usual practice of elegant females."

"I do assure you, Sir, that I have no pretension whatever to that kind of elegance which consists in tormenting a respectable man."

Pride and Prejudice!!!! He was an idiot... I have nothing *actually useful* to contribute to this conversation.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    I guess I've been conditioned to use male/female so it doesn't bother me. In the military (basic training particularly) we had to use male or female to describe the gender of a soldier. So it was like "Male soldiers are not allowed to fraternize with female soldiers" or "All male's on the right, all females on the left." But then it was even and they never said men and females. Being uneven with the use probably would have been an issue.

As for foot position, I'm the same. I have one foot pointed out a little farther than the other, but it is how they land and rotate. I had been trying to correct it, but I think I will worry about it a little less and correct if I see issues arise.
  • bumblebums
    Regarding foot position, there is no "right" foot position.

Toes forward is something I see a lot at gyms, probably because it seems obvious to people. We like to arrange things in parallels and straight lines. A toes out stance of the kind they use in that video is what Mark Rippetoe suggests--it allows a deeper squat if flexibility is an issue. For me, it's also a way to ensure that my knees point out and do not buckle in; it's a common problem during a squat, and it's easier to correct consciously if your toes aren't pointing forward. If you want an ATG squat, toes out is just about the only way to do that--much as in Malasana (yoga squat).

Neither foot position is a "form fault", but they accomplish different ends.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    tagging
  • There isn't really supposed to be much of a difference in form between men and women is there?