Grass-fed beef products

Options
Tanukiko
Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
So I know Kerrygold butter is grass fed and Grassfed beef is labeled, but what about other products such as beef broth and heavy whipping cream? Do you guys have a list if grass-fed options for these? I guess with the broth I could make my own but stuck on the HWC.

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Options
    Update: For the HWC I found Nature by Nature at wholefoods. The cows do get supplemented with organic hay and small amounts of grain in winter but are 100% grass fed in spring, summer and fall. Pretty hard to find 100% all the time grass fed.

As for the broth...Im stumped.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you're in the northern regions, or all your products are sourced from there, you likely won't find animals that aren't supplemented. They simply can't get enough during the winter to sustain themselves without losing a bunch of weight (which is natural, but jeopardizes production all around).

It is possible to get at least pastured chicken broth. I assume there's a beef one, too, but I haven't specifically looked for it. Whole Foods should have it. I know they have the chicken version stocked by the bulk nuts, seeds, and pasta (in the display islands) at my store. They'll be labelled as such. If nothing else, just get bone-in cuts of meat from a trusted source and make your own.

I get grass fed cream, but that's because I have a local dairy that sells it. I haven't really seen it, otherwise, and am lucky to even find HWC without a bunch of additives.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I agree you would want to just make your own broth.
    I use broth for the sodium content (as a supplement) so I don't know if I would need to worry about the fatty acid profile so much as I don't use it for "food."
  • Tanukiko
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions and common sense advice. A cup or two of broth probably doesn't need to be grass fed if I'm getting enough Omega 3's in general.