New and blood sugar question

carmofrap
carmofrap Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
I'm so sorry if this is a common question, I can't figure out how to search this group.

I've always been low carb and paleo, but now that I've officially switched to Keto (added in dairy as well) I'm keeping my macros to 80% fat 5% carbs and 15% protein. Though it's actually been more fat and less protein. Today is day three and I'm having crazy hypoglycemia symptoms to the point of almost passing out and barely able to walk when it hits, feeling overheated and Sweating uncontrollably and puking. Is this usual for the "keto flu?" Am I doing something wrong. Drinking lots of water, drinking sole water and taking magnesium, eating frequently to feel better. I really wasn't expecting this since I've been low carb for quite some time though not this low.
Just looking for reassurance that it is temporary.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I see that you're taking magnesium, but are you getting sufficient sodium? Sodium can cause all those types of symptoms but doesn't always. Adding in dairy may be having a contributing factor, too, as it is problematic for many.

those macros are pretty close to my own. And sadly, MFP has limited the search ability on their site - well, not so much limited, but not built it in well at all.

@Dragonwolf and @Sunny_Bunny_ and @DittoDan and @macchiatto are probably better suited to answer this question.

Are you diabetic? Is your diary public?

While I would say that this is not common, and as with everything, most of the side effects sound like the traditional ones that are temporary, this isn't the rarest thing I've ever heard, though I'm no expert by any means.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I have mild hypoglycemia and I didn't have anything that extreme. FWIW my macros were 10% carbs, 65% fat and 25% protein. I would try maybe upping your carbs a little bit and definitely keep watching your electrolytes. FWIW. l'm not an expert though so others may have more insight.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Ease into the carb lowering is a thought.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    carmofrap wrote: »
    I'm so sorry if this is a common question, I can't figure out how to search this group.

I've always been low carb and paleo, but now that I've officially switched to Keto (added in dairy as well) I'm keeping my macros to 80% fat 5% carbs and 15% protein. Though it's actually been more fat and less protein. Today is day three and I'm having crazy hypoglycemia symptoms to the point of almost passing out and barely able to walk when it hits, feeling overheated and Sweating uncontrollably and puking. Is this usual for the "keto flu?" Am I doing something wrong. Drinking lots of water, drinking sole water and taking magnesium, eating frequently to feel better. I really wasn't expecting this since I've been low carb for quite some time though not this low.
    Just looking for reassurance that it is temporary.

What was your blood glucose when you felt that way?
  • carmofrap
    carmofrap Posts: 3 Member
    I thought I replied already! Not sure what happened to my post. Lol.
    I did some research and I think the fact that I am breastfeeding and not consuming enough calories is a contributing factor. And probably not enough water, no idea how much I will need while nursing and keto. I'll have to figure that one out.
    I don't have a glucose or ketone monitor which was why I was trying to keep my carbs below 20g to without a doubt hit ketosis.So it could have just been symptoms but not truly low blood sugar.

My milk supply dropped though so I've bumped up to under 50g and will slowly work down. I feel so much better today with the extra carbs I had last night and my supply went way up.

I am not diabetic and I salt load in the mornings. It could be all the dairy but I had switched to primal a bit before trying keto and hadn't seen any problems.

I'm going to take the advice of going slower, up calories to between 1800-2000 and slowly work down my carbs till I find a good spot. I'll get a monitor to make sure it works I guess.
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Ah yeah, I'm not familiar with LCHF while nursing. Your plan from here sounds good though. Let us know how it goes!