Pounds vs Inches...CONFUSED

Options
wzupbrenda
wzupbrenda Posts: 5 Member
Hello All!

I need some help. I just recently started back to working out to lose weight. Well...it seems that my inches are coming off faster than my weight. Why is that? In a couple of weeks I've lost about 2-3 pounds, but I have lost inches in my thighs, waist, bust, and arms. My weight also fluctuates, because of water retention and that time of the month :sad:

The last time I started my workout routine (last year), I went from wearing XXL to XL in shirts and size 18W pants to between 16-18, depending on the cut and brand. Also, my weight loss at that time was not much at all. Currently, I am between L and XL, and I want to be no more than a L (I'm busty :wink: ) and about a size 14.

Should I be so concerned with my actual weight in pounds vs the inches, since I am noticing changes in my clothes?

P.S. I sure could use some supporters. I would happily support you, too! We are all in this together. Working on a better you and me! Thank you!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• marieskee
    marieskee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I need some help. I just recently started back to working out to lose weight. Well...it seems that my inches are coming off faster than my weight. Why is that? In a couple of weeks I've lost about 2-3 pounds, but I have lost inches in my thighs, waist, bust, and arms. My weight also fluctuates, because of water retention and that time of the month :sad:

The last time I started my workout routine (last year), I went from wearing XXL to XL in shirts and size 18W pants to between 16-18, depending on the cut and brand. Also, my weight loss at that time was not much at all. Currently, I am between L and XL, and I want to be no more than a L (I'm busty :wink: ) and about a size 14.

Should I be so concerned with my actual weight in pounds vs the inches, since I am noticing changes in my clothes?

P.S. I sure could use some supporters. I would happily support you, too! We are all in this together. Working on a better you and me! Thank you!! :flowerforyou:

You may have gained muscle, if so it takes up less room than fat resulting in the loss of inches.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale, go by the inches lost and how your clothes fit. I've gone through a few plateaus, where the scale wasn't moving, but I was still losing weight. It's still frustrating though, because you want to see those numbers go down on the scale.
  • stcherry23
    stcherry23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try not to be confused or frustrated. If you are losing inches, you are definitely losing and this also means that you are losing fat (and not muscle). I track both (inches and scale). BUT I also track my BMI and body fat percentage. This all helps to show that the scale is helpful, but it does not give the full story. Congratulations!!! You should be seeing a difference in your clothes as well ...
  • wzupbrenda
    Options
    You may have gained muscle, if so it takes up less room than fat resulting in the loss of inches.
    [/quote]

Thank you so much for the response. That makes sense.
  • wzupbrenda
    Options
    I am definitely seeing a difference in my clothes, and I appreciate your feedback!
  • wzupbrenda
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale, go by the inches lost and how your clothes fit. I've gone through a few plateaus, where the scale wasn't moving, but I was still losing weight. It's still frustrating though, because you want to see those numbers go down on the scale.

Lord knows, I sure do want to see the numbers on the scale go down. But, I should be very appreciative of the other numbers going down, too. It's going to take some time. Thanks so much for your reply.