Eating healthy on a budget and time constraint

Options
angeleyes4280
angeleyes4280 Posts: 25 Member
I have recently learned how to shop for healthy foods on a budget and for things that can be prepared quickly. If you would like some advice on what to do, just respond to this post. I will do my best to help you.

Replies

• klankton76
    klankton76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ready to start food prepping here. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. I have found some ideas on a blog site of "Organize Yourself Skinny" that I plan to try.

64902234.png
  • JudyBrunton
    JudyBrunton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd love any ideas I can get - thanks
  • Sassygirl0355
    Sassygirl0355 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know how I can purchase healthy foods on a budget
  • murlandpierre2016
    murlandpierre2016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have recently learned how to shop for healthy foods on a budget and for things that can be prepared quickly. If you would like some advice on what to do, just respond to this post. I will do my best to help you.

I'd love your ideas, thank you!
    Much needed
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of preparing meals quickly from healthy foods that fit a budget!

Angeleyes, do you want us to add recipes also?
    :)
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of bagged frozen veg, which keeps longer than fresh and still retains all of the nutrients if you steam it. I found flax seed at the dollar store (score!), and use a lot of garbanzo beans as a meat substitute to save money and to eat less meat.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Please share your tips!
  • MariRaina
    MariRaina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My local county extension service does an occasional cooking class that teaches you how to cook and shop on a budget. I really need to sign up -- it's free!
  • AshRae2015
    AshRae2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the frozen veggies. They are usually inexpensive and are said to be healthier than frozen. Also using more beans/lentils etc. I do eat meat but I will cut it in half for a recipe and it works fine. I also try and eat a lot of the "basic" "cheap" foods : apples, carrots, potatoes, etc. Those types of foods are inexpensive were I live. Organic is expensive though and I try to buy it when it's on sale.
  • bitzanm
    bitzanm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So, anyone else not seeing the ideas? Angeleyes have they been posted?
  • WithGodICanDoThis
    WithGodICanDoThis Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I need ideas, please post some!
  • andarube
    andarube Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook your own chickpeas and lentils, and save them in the fridge for salads, rice, quinoa etc. they are good source of protein, cous cous is a good option also, and just see witch vegetables and fruits are in season.
  • Jashmin1
    Jashmin1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat a microwaved sweet potato for lunch often. I also do soft taco night at our house using turkey or fish.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it can be quite difficult to get the balance right, especially if on a low income and reliant on State Benefit. Here in England there is a website that has a specific board for eating on a budget. However, many of the foodstuff is poor quality. For example it will be suggested where to get a chicken at a low price to make a recipe, and maybe using canned tomatoes. The problem being they will be factory farm chickens full of hormones and water, and the canned tomatoes will be a few tomatoes in 'coloured water' aka water and a bit of tomato puree. I am all for economising, but when constantly eating low quality food it does have an impact on health. I am also all for using dried pulses etc in meals. A great way of getting goodness inside; but if in poor health to begin with it can be difficult with all the soaking etc. I had a go at making my own soya milk which is delicious. But the effort of squeezing the 'milk' through the nut bag is hard for me. The easiest 'milk' I have found to make is macadamia nut milk. Just whiz a cup with some water in the liquidiser, add a touch of honey and delicious. Healthy fats and very creamy. Only thing here is that macadamia nuts are expensive :-(. So an occasional treat :-)
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    any tips would help
  • kellyw0624
    kellyw0624 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Interested.....thank you
  • sweetaddict123
    sweetaddict123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Interested! Thanks!
  • kittycat777
    kittycat777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's what I've found an issue with lately. Eating healthy isn't cheap! How to make it reasonable but stay with fresh food as possible?
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's what I've found an issue with lately. Eating healthy isn't cheap! How to make it reasonable but stay with fresh food as possible?

Do you have a farmer's market or similar where you live kittycat? In our supermarkets grapes for instance will cost between £1.50-3.00 for a punnet or bunch. In our city centre you can get 2 punnets for £1. I definitely can be difficult not to have rubbish quality food that is cheap. Everything seems to be so full of sugar and fat.