How often do you increase weights?

Options
Total noob. Just started Stage 1 yesterday. Do I wait until the reps decrease to increase weight? Or do I attempt a weight increase with each workout?

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    For me I increase as I feel strength gains....if I start a set and it feels to light, I will complete the set at that weight then increase on my next set.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I usually increase on the next workout unless it feels way too easy. Sometimes when I try to increase the next time, I start shaking and realize I'm not quite there yet. You'll know when you are ready (or at least when you're NOT ready because of the shaking).
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    As soon as I can manage the weight I'm lifting without wanting to die. Which all depends on how diligently I've been working out.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As soon as I can manage the weight I'm lifting without wanting to die. Which all depends on how diligently I've been working out.

LOL. I'll attempt a small increase and see how it goes. Today I DID want to die during the lunges. 30lb on each arm was a bit much. And even 25 was killer during the 2nd set.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For me I increase as I feel strength gains....if I start a set and it feels to light, I will complete the set at that weight then increase on my next set.

This is what I do as well :)
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    whenever i can. for things like squats and DLs (or anything where im lifting a lot of weight) - i try to increase the weight every workout. for things that require dumbbells, like step ups, theres only so often u can go up, since a 5 lb increase is a huge % of the total weight-- so i go up whenever i can. sometimes i try a higher weight, and if its excruciatingly hard, ill go back down the next set.
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I can. I'm only into the fourth week of stage 1 and have only raised most things by 5-10 lbs. But, I have to be careful because I have problem knees and shoulders and I don't want to hurt myself so I'd rather raise weight slowly and effectively rather than ending up unable to do some exercises due to an injury.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I increase when it's too easy.

I make notes after each exercise's last set about how it felt. If it was too easy, I write down how to increase the next time so I remember. Like my deadlift, if I did three sets, 90/100/110 and that was too easy, I'll write "try 100/110/120", and of course if I get there and I'm dying on the second set I can back off, and take notes after that too.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and it can be tricky in the first phase when you have to decrease reps and increase sets. I remember being confused about how much to try to lift. I'd say try to balance optimism with being careful. After all, you can always do an extra set if it was just way too easy, but an injury can set you back months.