Do you snack?

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
I go on the main boards as well and there are always posts about being hungry all the time and requesting snack ideas, etc. I'm not even following a super low carb diet, I still eat between 50-75g per day and my fats are at about 80-100 per day. I'm pretty much never hungry between meals. I'm just wondering from other LCHF folks how satiated you are after your meals.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Almost never. And honestly, when I do eat something outside of a "meal time", (whatever that is! lol) it's just because i wanted it. Not that I was hungry. And I of course don't eat a full "snack" of it. Like, if my daughter sits down next to me with pork rinds. I will get one. I just want it because it's salty and she's crunching in my ear and since it won't be any issue for my plan, I'll just have one. But I won't let myself eat more than a taste of I'm not hungry.
    The same is NOT true of off plan foods. I couldn't care less if someone sat down and started crunching Cheetos next to me. I don't see those as food.
    But, yeah, low carb is so successful for so many people because it gives us back control of our hunger. (IF we are eating the right foods for us and not including non foods)
    Eliminating the insulin surges and blood sugar swings (even for metabolically healthy people, though there are truly so few of them anymore), prevents the need to snack.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do snack, but it's prolly more of a mental thing. I didn't plan for one today, so I'll let you know.

Edit: I should note that it is a planned snack. I haven't encountered a situation in which I felt hunger that required a snack.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm still snacking, but then I'm not even a week into this new way of eating. Even this early into this I am snacking less, mostly I haven't eaten my between breakfast and lunch snack the last couple days. Which is nice, especially because the only snacks I have are all protein related snacks.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I think you adapt to either style. I was a snacker, but my meals were fairly small.

This week, I'm experimenting with not snacking and eating larger meals. I feel stuffed.

I think I prefer snacking/grazing as an eating style, but I like the idea of giving my digestive system a longer break between meals. Sort of small-scale intermittent fasting.

The other advantage to snacking for me was the variety of food. I'd eat mostly meat and eggs at main meals, and nuts, coconut flakes, and dark chocolate for snacks. I miss those foods and find them hard to incorporate into my main meals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I snack, but it slows my weight loss down considerably, or stops it altogether. When I am more focused on weight loss, especially near my goal, I drop snacks in order to lose weight.

And the more carbs I eat, the snackier I get. For me, it is entirely about carbs... Evil carbs... ;)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I snack. Primarily it is a habit that I am trying to break but I have a desk job where it varies from being super slow to super busy. If it is super slow, I know I am snacking out of boredom.

But ever since switching to this LCHF WOE, I have sugar free jello as a snack or a cheese string. Before I used to keep candy in my drawer or go get a donut from Tim Hortons. Not anymore!
  • speakeasys
    speakeasys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm usually hungry when I get home from school so I have a snack (beef bouillon with butter & cream, or nuts and jerky). Sometimes I'm truly hungry, sometimes it's just part of my routine.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Now that I think of it, no.

The week before last I was doing strictly low-calorie and I always craved snacks. My calorie goal is still the same with low-carb but I can't recall a moment this past week where I have snacked on anything.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    speakeasys wrote: »
    I'm usually hungry when I get home from school so I have a snack (beef bouillon with butter & cream, or nuts and jerky). Sometimes I'm truly hungry, sometimes it's just part of my routine.

Yeah I'm going to need to try that drink! Yum... I love a hot cup of chicken broth so that sounds delicious.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I will snack on some pork skins, or a pickle/pickle juice, when I feel I need something, but I don't snack because of hunger anymore! This is the food for fuel attitude that I love!
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    humm. You know I have found that since going low carb I snack more. But that is because I am trying to increase the amount of fat I eat. If I didnt snack I wouldnt be able to consume enough fat that is required for this diet. Since I have been drinking the protein shake with MCT oil in the morning, I seem to want to snack more. I only drink it because my trainer said I need to after I work out because I do not eat breakfast. I guess I need to try something different.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I go on the main boards as well and there are always posts about being hungry all the time and requesting snack ideas, etc. I'm not even following a super low carb diet, I still eat between 50-75g per day and my fats are at about 80-100 per day. I'm pretty much never hungry between meals. I'm just wondering from other LCHF folks how satiated you are after your meals.

Great question and observation. I don't restrict myself from snacking, but honestly I really don't bother with it. One of the amazing 'side effects' of Keto. When I first started this journey I did the traditional low-fat, high-carb for about 2-3 months, and while I lost weight I was often hungry. I snacked all day long, mostly on fruit. When I got serious about Keto in early January, it was noticeably different!! I LOVE the feeling of stable blood sugar. LOVE IT. It took a few weeks, but I really like this WOE the best. And now I am even intermittent fasting 4-5 days a week on the 16:8 plan, something that sounded absolutely nuts when I first read about it. Without the blood sugar swings I have so much more control. BTW, my keto carb count is roughly 25-35 net carbs, with total carbs closer to 50, and it works great for me. I am not 'super low' either.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have more success with no snacks.

3 solid meals, spaced out evenly over the day (divided over 1000-1260 cals/25 carbs)

For me, snacking begets more snacking, then more... Ok, well, just one tiny bit more..

"If" after I eat a meal, I still think I need something else, I grab a cup of peppermint tea.
    Sometimes it takes an hour for my stomach to tell my brain, you're ok. Relax. You won't starve until your next planned, measured, fat-filled meal. I've learned to just hang on a bit more and wait for the next feedbag. Insert tea or water as needed.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I carry what I call emergency snacks in case blood sugar drops or too long between meals:
    mini Baby bell cheese or Laughing Cow cheese and apple slices. Sometimes even salami slices too.

sugar free chocolate in glove box. Great to have for going out to movie or someplace where I might feel deprived without a snack.

It has been a long time that I have felt the need to "snack" since going low carb.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »

"If" after I eat a meal, I still think I need something else, I grab a cup of peppermint tea.
    Sometimes it takes an hour for my stomach to tell my brain, you're ok. Relax. You won't starve until your next planned, measured, fat-filled meal. I've learned to just hang on a bit more and wait for the next feedbag. Insert tea or water as needed.

Very true. I feel hungry after lunch occasionally and then a couple hours later I'm completely satisfied.

When I was strictly low calorie I would stress about snacking fearing adding more calories to my day's total. I almost always needed a snack before I left work or else I wouldn't be able to get through my workout.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I go either way. I know I will snack before lunch if I just have coffee for breakfast (short on time) or I have a couple small snacks instead of a meal (like when I have class and won't have dinner).

I've been sick last couple days so have been eating more in general.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like crunchy foods, so celery my snack of choice. Sometimes I will have it with almond butter or cheese; sometimes, on its own. I try to only snack if having a drink or distracting myself doesn't work.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I rarely snack. It's not that I don't get hungry, it's just half the time I'm not at home or around foods that are in my calorie or carb range to snack on.

Except tonight. Tonight I'm making peanut butter fluff with some dark chocolate. It's going to be a good night.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I snack out of habit. It really depends on my surroundings too. For example at night my husband comes to bed and eats cheesecake/chips/macaroni and cheese or whatever while he watches TV and doesn't gain a lb and I know that and have to be prepared to deal. So I have a massive zip lock bag filled with pre-measured snacks like dark chocolate, almond butter and bags of almonds. I DO need to get better snacks for upstairs like pork rinds or celery sticks or something.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do snack some days, like today. I was hungry this afternoon, I looked at what I had planned for the rest of the day and realized my fat and calories were going to be pretty low, so I had a fat bomb (I hate using that name!). I have not experienced that feeling of rarely getting hungry though, I wish I could though! I am busy chasing kiddos around all day and wonder if I'm outputting more energy than I thought I was. Just can't make it skipping meals!