No wonder so many of us are sick and overweight

Options

Replies

• MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i have made almost all those combinations. my SIL & i used to make them all the time when we were "broke" and wanted something sweet. we always had those items on hand. i'm with the OP - makes me think of poison when i see it now!
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Used to bake box cake mixes with Sprite and diet coke when I was a kid. Then I learned from scratch both tasted better and was easy. I love to bake. The only box cake I use these days is butter recipe by Duncan Hines, and then only for my hubby's favorite cake once a year. I haven't found a decent low carb cake recipe I like yet, but always on the lookout! Keto cheesecake is yum though!

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Is making a cake from scratch no normal in the US then?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

lords no. I'd venture to say that making cake from scratch is so far OFF normal here that those of us who can do so may as well have 3 heads and Voodoo magic. Only possible way it can be done, you know!

Heck ANY cooking from scratch is miraculous, whether it's cake or pork roast. I hear "oh I could NEVER" and "How in the world do you DO that every day?" so often and it makes my mind boggle. It's not even remotely difficult! Even the planning of it is dead stupid simple, and it's so sad to me that what seems like the majority of folks just don't or can't be bothered.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

lords no. I'd venture to say that making cake from scratch is so far OFF normal here that those of us who can do so may as well have 3 heads and Voodoo magic. Only possible way it can be done, you know!

Heck ANY cooking from scratch is miraculous, whether it's cake or pork roast. I hear "oh I could NEVER" and "How in the world do you DO that every day?" so often and it makes my mind boggle. It's not even remotely difficult! Even the planning of it is dead stupid simple, and it's so sad to me that what seems like the majority of folks just don't or can't be bothered.

Lol I think that's why chefs are the new rock stars, because they have a skill that mere mortals can only dream of achieving now :wink:
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Made ,from scratch, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for my brother's birthday yesterday. Did allow myself a 1/8" sliver. Stayed well under carb allowance . Half the cake is still in the kitchen. It was good but very sweet. It's weird ,but it is not calling to me like sweets used to.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I still do boxed cake mixes (with milk, olive oil, and eggs) regularly for work/family events. I make the buttercream icing from scratch though and I don't eat any!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    (...)

Lol I think that's why chefs are the new rock stars, because they have a skill that mere mortals can only dream of achieving now :wink:

...and then they get to travel the world and make TV series showing grandmothers cooking real food in exotic locations like France or Italy. :wink:

This has a few years but have you seen the difference in the food consumed by normal families around the world?

time.com/8515/hungry-planet-what-the-world-eats/

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    (...)

...and then they get to travel the world and make TV series showing grandmothers cooking real food in exotic locations like France or Italy. :wink:

This has a few years but have you seen the difference in the food consumed by normal families around the world?

This was really interesting! I was looking the amount of processed foods, bananas and soft drinks. It was also striking that no one in any of the photos was really big. Perhaps not healthy on the inside. And the size of the family and the budget. Interesting.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

And why people pay 60 dollars for some cupcakes. My SIL kept ordering then from a bakery for her kids parties, I couldn't believe how much she was paying. After I found out I started making them for her. They're just cupcakes it's not rocket science. It's mostly the decorating that makes them special, with the right tips anyone can do it.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options

And why people pay 60 dollars for some cupcakes. My SIL kept ordering then from a bakery for her kids parties, I couldn't believe how much she was paying. After I found out I started making them for her. They're just cupcakes it's not rocket science. It's mostly the decorating that makes them special, with the right tips anyone can do it.

Did you give her a 50% discount and just charge her $30? Lol
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Did you give her a 50% discount and just charge her $30? Lol

Lol I should have
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Hmmm....

Do you make "special" cupcakes for things like Bosses' Day or treats for pastors you have to pay for premarital counseling?

(Happy to furnish a couple boxes of Miralax......)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I haven't made any on over a year :( I actually did make a special cake for my boss bday one year, he was following a vegan no oil diet, that was not easy but turned out surprisingly good.
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    (...)

Interesting to see the differences and the similarities. And so many processed foods, no matter where people live! My family eats very, very little that's packaged or processed--primarily because of a serious food allergy--but I've seen my kids select the home-made stuff over the processed, if they do have a choice because, as the eldest puts it, "Mom's cooking just tastes better." :wink:
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The Public is finally getting to the bottom of the issue, but the adverts are pouring money into keeping everyone eating ultra processed unhealthy non-foods:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11963385/Cut-out-carbs-not-fat-if-you-want-to-lose-weight-Harvard-study-finds.html
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Really? Huh. I'm in Canada and some use boxed cake mixes but I would guess just as many do not... This surprises me a bit.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Really? Huh. I'm in Canada and some use boxed cake mixes but I would guess just as many do not... This surprises me a bit.

I imagine a lot has to do with my current location. Where I grew up in Washington State it is probably closer to 50/50 but here in ever-too-busy California I know very few people who cook anything at all, let alone the "from scratch" part, it seems. Maybe I just talk to the wrong people!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I imagine a lot has to do with my current location. Where I grew up in Washington State it is probably closer to 50/50 but here in ever-too-busy California I know very few people who cook anything at all, let alone the "from scratch" part, it seems. Maybe I just talk to the wrong people!

You can find boxed cakes on the shelf in the UK now, we certainly didn't use them when I was a child. In fact we made homemade everything - cakes, bread, pie, pizza. It wasn't until we moved to America that the all that stopped. Pizza night was definitely not as fun when it was delivered in a box. I know lots of people here in Scotland who bake at home, it's quite a competitive sport lol. In fact they have a popular tv show here called the Great Bake Off, which kind of goes to show what a popular hobby it is. Some of the most popular chefs here are bakers. Though I think a generational shift is happening here too, just more slowly than in the US.