Reacting to medication differently on Keto

ali59oc
ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
I was curious if anyone has had medications react differently since being Keto. I was prescribed Flexeril earlier this week by my doctor for muscle pain after a car accident. I have taken Flexeril in the past with no side effects. This time, however, the side effects were horrible. I bloated up, couldn't urinate (and I drink SO much water), had dry mouth, was very nervous, could not think straight, and couldn't sleep. I have stopped the flexeril but it has a long half life and won't be out of my system for another 48 hours. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced something like this, maybe not with flexeril but with any other type of drug. Thanks!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    ali59oc wrote: »
    I was curious if anyone has had medications react differently since being Keto. I was prescribed Flexeril earlier this week by my doctor for muscle pain after a car accident. I have taken Flexeril in the past with no side effects. This time, however, the side effects were horrible. I bloated up, couldn't urinate (and I drink SO much water), had dry mouth, was very nervous, could not think straight, and couldn't sleep. I have stopped the flexeril but it has a long half life and won't be out of my system for another 48 hours. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced something like this, maybe not with flexeril but with any other type of drug. Thanks!

I know that @Dragonwolf mentioned needing a different dosage of anesthesia, but I haven't heard of this specifically. But yes, it's possible...considering that this changes the way our body interacts with and absorbs things. I found that if things say WITH FOOD, that's something I have to do no matter what.

Also, @ali59oc , I find that if generics of meds have weird things in them (like one generic could be safe, but another may have a dye or filler that I react to now), I tend to react more, too.... It is very frustrating! Generally, it's had something that we've always reacted to, but that the reaction seemed muted since we had worse inflammation or reactions just from food...

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I personally would add some lemon juice to your water, add extra salt to work with all that water, and extra fats to move things along. But too, there is the idiopathic chronic constipation that reacts with some meds. I'd be sure to talk with a knowledgeable pharmacist about all of this and what you might be able to take safely.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, and I hope that you heal quickly and fully!!! (HUGS)