Soul Bread is worth the trouble

Options

Replies

• kimmorrow30
    kimmorrow30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I made my first loaf today. I must have done something wrong, because mine tasted very gritty/powdery. I followed the original recipe from Souls. I think I either need to get better protein powder or I need to mix it better. I was trying to be careful not to mix it too much.
    It looks awesome though. HA! I'm going to try and toast it tomorrow morning and see how it is like that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I think my kids might like this. We have a gluten free home due to celiac disease, and GF bread is very high carb, has low nutritional value, and is high priced. Soul bread looks like it would be an improvement on the first two problems. ;)

Plus they are growing boys who I can't seem to ever get enough protein into.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth the trouble!

m58pxivgkht4.jpg
  • JMLSZ
    JMLSZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It seems like I can't get Xanthan gum in my country. I thought maybe gelatin would work, but I've read that it doesn't. Does any one know if I can substitute something else?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Guar gum might work. Not sure about that.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The article mentions two subs for xanathan gum, one being glucomannin. It is at the bottom of the drool worthy images. Thanks for sharing. I guess I know what I'll be ordering from Amazon next.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the holy grail of LC bread recipes... Do you all like this product better than oopsie rolls?
  • Phrick
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    Sounds like the holy grail of LC bread recipes... Do you all like this product better than oopsie rolls?

Yes, approximately 241 times better than Oopsie rolls.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    MistressPi wrote: »

Yes, approximately 241 times better than Oopsie rolls.

I admire the precision of your mind.
  • Phrick
    Options
    here's a pic of it sliced, toasted and buttered. It doesn't brown much, but the texture is right. It's amazing! I'm already on our second loaf haha

p8mo1tx8bcyy.jpg
  • Msroro
    Msroro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm so scared this will make me relapse
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That picture is just cruel this time of night....
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    here's a pic of it sliced, toasted and buttered. It doesn't brown much, but the texture is right. It's amazing! I'm already on our second loaf haha

That looks amazing! Just to be sure, which recipe did you use. And, did you follow the recipe exactly? I'm so going to try making this once I get home.
  • Phrick
    Options

That looks amazing! Just to be sure, which recipe did you use. And, did you follow the recipe exactly? I'm so going to try making this once I get home.

I used this "Original Soul Bread" recipe - http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/
    I converted everything to grams too, the only thing I can't count on being the same from recipe to recipe is the eggs!

Original Soul Bread Recipe

.9 net carbs per slice for 16 slices.

Ingredients

150g / 1 2/3 c unflavored isolate protein powder** (zero carb)
    3g / 1/2 tsp salt
    1 g / 1/3 tsp baking soda
    4g / 1 tsp xanthan gum
    14g / 2 1/2 tsps baking powder
    56g / 1/4 c olive oil
    56g / 1/4 c melted butter
    (I omitted this) 2 drops liquid sucralose (or stevia), optional
    4 eggs
    339g / 12 ozs cream cheese, softened
    60g / 1/4 c heavy whipping cream (or half and half)
    1g / 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
    ** Not all isolate protein powders produce great results.

Nature’s Best ISOPURE Whey Protein and Hoosier Hill Farm Whey Protein Powder are two brands that tested well.

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 F. Prepare a bread pan (9″ x 5″) or molds.

Soften cream cheese. (45 seconds to 1 minute in a microwave works well.) Melt butter and add to cream cheese. Add in olive oil, heavy whipping cream (or half and half) and eggs. Blend well using a stick blender or hand mixer.

Add baking powder and xanthan gum to an empty salt shaker and shake over the liquid mixture. Mix well after each shake to avoid lumps.

Add protein powder, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar to a flour sifter. Sift over the wet ingredients. Stir by hand just until mixed. (Do not use a mixer or blender.) Do not over stir or the bread will become dense.

Pour into a greased pan or silicone mold and bake at 325 F for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. The bread may be dry on top but adding melted butter helps if you’re eating it right away. Once cool, wrap in plastic to store.

• ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks! Last questions (I think, lol), did you use the ISOPURE or the Hoosier Hill Farm Protein powder? And did you use the heavy whipping cream or the half and half?
  • Phrick
    Options
    Thanks! Last questions (I think, lol), did you use the ISOPURE or the Hoosier Hill Farm Protein powder? And did you use the heavy whipping cream or the half and half?

I used IsoPure (had on hand already) and heavy cream
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Toasted and topped with butter, granulated Swerve, and cinnamon ☺️xqyu6q6pjjf5.jpeg
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Now I want to go make some!!! My husband is going to kill me with getting all these expensive ingredients!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have anything negative to say? :smiley:

I would have to go buy some things. But quite frankly, I've made several coconut flour replacements, which, while good, are too high in carb for my liking. This looks virtually guilt free!
  • flower1964
    flower1964 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm making this tonight, I can't wait to have toast!!