Few questions

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
I noticed sometimes if I don't enough food whether it be on the run or in a hurry or eating a big breakfast and no lunch I get super shaky and have panic attacks. This has only happened twice but I don't know if this coincidence or not.

Also. If I feel okay eating certain carbs (fruit especially) can I eat that? I'm thinking about upping my carb intake? Smart move or no?

Replies

• MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    if you are having panic attacks, that (to me) is an entirely different issue. maybe you have some unresolved stressors in your life that might lead to a panic attack.

i eat fruit/berries every morning. i can't live w/o fruit!!! so far, that hasn't been the cause of me going over my carb count.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    if you are having panic attacks, that (to me) is an entirely different issue. maybe you have some unresolved stressors in your life that might lead to a panic attack.

i eat fruit/berries every morning. i can't live w/o fruit!!! so far, that hasn't been the cause of me going over my carb count.

What is your carb count for the day? I have an appt with a psychiatrist to talk about the attacks. I'm on meds now and have been for a few years but I've had two attacks in the past week. The one I had today I was able to talk myself out of it. But I noticed I just had a big salad with just cheese and bacon on it. So I thought maybe that is why I was starting to get one.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options

What is your carb count for the day? I have an appt with a psychiatrist to talk about the attacks. I'm on meds now and have been for a few years but I've had two attacks in the past week. The one I had today I was able to talk myself out of it. But I noticed I just had a big salad with just cheese and bacon on it. So I thought maybe that is why I was starting to get one.

i have BPD, OCD & aniexty disorder, so i get attacks, too. i am on meds right now (hydroxyzine) and that really helps. i will admit, even though i think outside stress is a major contributor, i have noticed a decrease in my mood swings in the past 2 weeks since i started LCHF.

my goal is <25g/carbs/day
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Lchf has been associated with mood stabilizing. There have been many discussions on here from those that have had amazing changes that helped to resolve a variety of depression and anxiety issues.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I wonder if my moods are just stabilizing and trying to figure themselves out.
    Has anyone had success losing on eating 50g or below?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @emilybeaver I have slowly lost weight and stabilized moods on <50 grams of carbs and maintained a 50 pound weight loss for the last 12 months. My pain being managed well after cutting out most all sugars and all forms of grains was all it took in my case.

My first 90 days of LCHF was really weird in many ways. It took six months for my 40 years of serious IBS to clear up and not return. Best of success.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have lower carb fruit every day
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 or below, for the most part. Sometimes 100 or below, I'm not overly strict with the number. I've had no problems losing at those levels.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I lost well at 20-30 gm net carbs per day (usually 30-40 total, sometimes lower). Now at maintenance I've increased that a little bit to add more veggies.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi @emilybeaver are you diabetic? If you were getting shaky, you may have had a hypoglycemic episode, which then induced a panic attack. I get panic attacks and I remember the first time my blood sugar got too low. It was a very scary experience and I had no idea what was happening to my body and it triggered a panic attack making the whole experience even worse. Even if you aren't diabetic, I've read that a ketogenic diet can even cause hypos in people who aren't technically diabetic.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hi @emilybeaver are you diabetic? If you were getting shaky, you may have had a hypoglycemic episode, which then induced a panic attack. I get panic attacks and I remember the first time my blood sugar got too low. It was a very scary experience and I had no idea what was happening to my body and it triggered a panic attack making the whole experience even worse. Even if you aren't diabetic, I've read that a ketogenic diet can even cause hypos in people who aren't technically diabetic.

Ditto. I have reactive hypoglycemia which caused shakiness and weakness until I was fat adapted. If my BG dropped to the low end of normal (like a 4.4) I felt weak, shook, my BP dropped and I would even break out in a cold sweat. Now that I am adusted to this way of eating, my BG can dip a lot lower (I hit 3.3 or 60 yesterday) and I don't really feel it since I am using fats for fuel.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    This may need to be added to or revised but i just don't see in your diary that you are drinking boullion or eating pickles ot getting any Irish butter or other Fats that many here add to their everyday WOE.
    Could this be a healthy fat/sodium & magnesium problem?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    This may need to be added to or revised but i just don't see in your diary that you are drinking boullion or eating pickles ot getting any Irish butter or other Fats that many here add to their everyday WOE.
    Could this be a healthy fat/sodium & magnesium problem?

Oh wow! How did we all miss that?!?!?
    You're diet is low carb and low fat! That's not going to be very healthy. You don't have to reach the fat goal, but you need to get enough for healthy function. You're also not eating much in the way of nutrient dense foods. At least not in the last week.
    I think you may be mal nourished and certainly sodium and magnesium deficient. Don't know about your supplement usage though.
    You're probably shaky because you're hungry. Actually hungry.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am not diabetic but I'm pretty sure my blood sugar was low. I take a magnesium supplement daily and I drink tons of water. I have still yet to find the balance of low carb and high fat. What do I need to do to add some fat to my diet? I think that was how I felt yesterday I was legitimately hungry.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    And also most of those days I didn't finish my diary. So don't think I'm starving myself!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My go to fats are from meats and cheese, and nuts and avocado to a lesser extent, but my added fats are usually coconut oil, coconut cream, butter, and other high fat dairy.

I add whipped cream and coconut oil to coffee. I will make fat bombs too. I add cheese, butter and bacon drippings to most food and meats. I add mayo too but less since I am not a canola fan.

To be honest, I'm to the point where I have usually added too many fats to allow weight loss. :blush:

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Avocado, heavy cream in coffee, bacon, cream cheese wrapped in ham, butter on my hard boiled eggs or when I fry my eggs, more bacon, kaymak (a Turkish clotted cream spread), cheese (I limit this), sour cream on my 85/15 beef chili, blue cheese dressing on my chicken wings.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Keep in mind that low blood sugar doesn't happen in a metabolically healthy body. In order to get low blood sugar you have to have too much insulin. The number 1 cause of too much insulin is insulin resistance.
    Eating carbs drives the development of insulin resistance.
    If you have coffee in the morning, just add coconut or MCT oil and butter. You'll get a nice start on your fat and calories and hunger control for the day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but I noticed something in another post you made that might support the hypoglycemia thought...
    I noticed that you mentioned you get sugar free vanilla syrup AND Splenda in your coffee. That's a very sweet coffee. Sugar free syrup already has sweetener in it. So, the cogs that set off in my head are:
    1. Even artificial sweeteners create some degree of insulin release. Probably more in people that are insulin resistant.
    2. Insulin resistance leads to hyperinsulinemia. Hyperinsulinemia often leads to episodes of hypoglycemia. It also creates cravings for sweets.

With about 80% of the US population being insulin resistant and they just don't know it, I am wondering if this explains your situation.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Wow. Yes. Once again I have never thought of this. Another reason why I'm so thankful for this board. Tomorrow I'll be drinking home coffee with splenda only and see if that helps.