How many of you have considered bariatric weight loss surgery?

Options
Tudorsfan1509
Tudorsfan1509 Posts: 45 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
My best friend just had weight loss surgery last month and is down from 275 to 220. I'm very happy for her!! She's looking great!

I had considered bariatric surgery years ago, but then got married, then preggers, ended up having an emergency c-section, then lost 100 lbs on my own (not a healthy way - post partum) then gallbladder went, and then gained it all back In two years and then some!!! Oy!!!

So....my issue is scar tissue that has built up internally from my two abdominal surgeries. I have adhesions that cause me periodically, horrifying cramps. I'm scared to have anymore abdominal surgeries because of this fear - I just can't create more adhesions.

And yet, I wonder if that's a necessary risk to take?

Or can I do this without the surgery tool?

Replies

• pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've considered WLS but haven't gone there yet. I have some other health risks -- I have a propensity for blood clotting -- that, like you, make it a little more tricky to have the surgery. But more importantly, I know that WLS is only a tool. It won't help me figure out why I eat the way I do -- the emotional and binge eating. So I've spent time working on those issues and working on weight management without surgery. I've been pretty successful. My weight has stabilized now, though, so my doc and I are considering one of the newer obesity medications. That's likely a safer path for me -- at least to try -- before WLS. But I'm not ruling out WLS. For me, though, it will be a last resort.
  • Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of people who had the surgery and didn't lose much weight or gained it back. I also know of lots of people who had complications. I probably know even more people who are battling complications of obesity.

It's a tough battle... Who knows the right path. As long as you are trying to make it work you are ahead of the game. If you can't control eating or portions.. Chances are the surgery will not work. I wanted the surgery so bad a few years ago... But honestly I am glad I took this route...
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Not for or against, need to find out your ED or nothing will work long term. When I was in ED rehab over 50% had WLS n gained it back, have to find out why. Like you said , lost 100 n gained back , why?? We will never find out all the answers but need to explore. Good luck n chat often! Gayle Minneapolis
  • AmethystEFC
    AmethystEFC Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I seriously considered it but have seen friends and family have it and just not learnt any lessons. Yes, they've lost weight, but it's only a matter of time before they put even more back on than they already have.

You have to change your relationship with food and the way that you seek comfort or have habits in your life.

One person in particular makes me quite angry, even though it's not my business. He had the switch operation and he has lost weight because, at this point past surgery, it's pretty much physically impossible for him not to. The little he can eat is junk food, take away, McDonalds... He is working under the logic that the vitamins he now has to take for the rest of his life will provide all he needs and what he can eat is his 'treat'. Only soon his stomach will expand and stretch again and the weight will pile back on.

As Gayle and Irish said, it's a tool and unless you have started to make changes and get your head around why this all happened in the first place, it's just not going to work.

Hopefully I can do this naturally.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My doctor is recommending the surgery for me, but i am so scared to die, throw up for life, or gain weight again that i dont want it, where i live there is a two year waiting list, so i am going to go on the list!
    I was once told to not agree to do any diet/exercise that i wasnt willing to do for life that was the key to avoiding weight gain in the future!

Its so individual each person has a different idea of what they are willing to live with! it could be useful to talk to a bariatric surgeon or to meet with a therapist and figure out where you are at!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I knew that this would be my last attempt at "natural" weight loss or surgery would be my only option. Happily, I am down enough that the only surgery to contemplate now is excess skin removal. Figure out WHY you've treated yourself the way you did, why you allowed yourself to become out of control, make peace with ALL of your faults and foibles and failings and learn to forgive yourself. Once I made it through the mental part, the rest has been pretty effortless. I love food, so the thought of amputating most of my stomach has no appeal for me at all.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You'll have to do the work with or without surgery.

I know many that have had wls and only 1 has stayed at/near goal weight. Just 1. She has other life issues so...

The rest are a mix of reaching goal then thinking they were done and went back to bad habits and gained a lot back and are now struggling with losing but this time no "quick fix" type thinking (I know wls isn't easy), and the rest never hit goal weight because they thought surgery took care of their problems and they didnt need any lifestyle changes. All had/have counseling and nutrition support. Many have developed various health problems. Many have normal every day foods they can no longer eat without becoming ill.

It's still all about your commitment. You still have to pay attention to your CICO.

I'd rather count my calories and still be able to eat anything I want in moderation.
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I considered WLS a few years ago. An ex-friend of mine had the surgery several years ago and lost very little weight. Another friend almost died during the surgery. I'm not willing to risk my health or life for the surgery. Besides, I'm doing good now just by exercising and eating right, so therefore it is no longer an option for me.
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I meant to post about this last week - but then I got busy with work.... I was on track to have gastric bypass - went through the whole entire process with the surgeons office. I did a 6 month insurance required diet and exercise program, got approved, got a date, then decided I had lost enough on my own to keep going. When I started I felt like I didn't have any choice but to do the surgery. I had gotten up to 420 lbs and my eating was out of control. It was a hard choice not to have the surgery, but I managed to change my habits in the 9 month process of getting approval. If you want to talk more - message me :)