Shin splints!!!

Options
saraspring7
saraspring7 Posts: 23 Member
From day 5 until now (day 8, took a rest day yesterday), I have had pain on the outside of my shins. I'm assuming shin splints. They're killing me when I try to do the cardio, specifically the jumping jacks. Today, I spent cardio periods on the elliptical. It helped me make it through the workout! Thoughts/feedback welcome!

Replies

• paquitoBoston
    paquitoBoston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with the skipping part of the first cardio routine. Somehow it works during the last set. I continue with back kicks or jumping jacks when I cant go on with the skipping. I think it should be ok. When teh pain is really bad, I would suggest you take a rest day. Muscles need time to regenerate and a days rest does no harm.
  • jessjphillips
    jessjphillips Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey, I also think rest is really important, you don't want to make the injury worse. It's a great idea doing your cardio blocks on the elliptical - do whatever you can to make it a low impact exercise where you are still moving all the time. You might still be able to do the boxing one - as Jillian says, "This is a great way to get cardio in if you've got any kind of lower body injury, punches will blast that heart rate up."

Also make sure you ice your shins after the workout!
  • saraspring7
    saraspring7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Shin splints are healed, but I'm now dealing with a sharp pain on the outside of my left leg, below my knee. It's especially bad on stairs. I'm doing RICE as much as possible. I've never had this type of issue before. Makes me feel old, and I'm only 35. :(