I.F.

Options
MyPrimalLife
MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
Does anyone do intermittent fasting? When I was at my healthiest, I was very much into IF; I feasted for 6 hours per day, and fasted for 18. My first meal was after my work-out (noon every day) and I would eat all my meals through 6:00 p.m. and not eat after 6:00 p.m. until noon the following day.

I am on DAY 18 of LCHF and although I did lose a bit today, I noticed that the past week was pretty much a waste b/c I had gained and I finally lost down today to where my weight is exactly what it was a week ago. FRUSTRATING!
:/

I studied my diary very closely and the only thing that I seemed to notice is that in the chunks of time when I lost, I hadn't eaten breakfast, or had eaten a light breakfast. During the times I gained, I ate large breakfasts. It could be a coincidence, but I thought maybe this week I would do IF for the entire week and see how things go with my loss.

It's very frustrating to feel that I am doing so well and yet gain!!!

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, most days any ways. I don't eat till after 12pm and my last meal is done around 6:30 pm. I drink my hot tea or coffee in the mornings, sometimes making it bulletproof, but only a few times a week at that. I also work out in the mornings fasted....most days I have no problem with hunger in the morning, but there are times I wake up hungry, and that is usually bc of a higher carb intake the day before....

My scale fluctuates a lot through out the week, I track it daily, but don't get obsessed over the fluctuations....it's just one of the many tools I use to see how I'm doing ....I've lost 50 pounds over the past 6 months or so, and I can tell you I go weeks with the scale staying the same or fluctuating daily...and then there will be a day that suddenly I'm down 3-4 pounds...no rhyme or reason to it...I usually have two of those losses a month. So to look at this logically that is two or three days out of the month I see a loss...the rest of the days just bounce around that number....

Bottom line, the scale can not determine what is going on in your body in terms of hydration, in put or out put..... It's just a snap shot of you that very minute..... Did you really eat an extra 3500 calories that day to show that pound gain ? I doubt it....weight gain and loss is more about hormonal responses in your body than the total amount of calories, imo. I use the scale as a tool along with logging to track what foods maybe triggering those kinds of responses....

Just my two cents....
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Me too. I find IF fits really well with a ketosis diet - on a standard CICO diet I would get extremely hungry in the fasting portions of an IF day, being fat adapted means that I don't get that desperate hunger any more, and any hunger I do feel in the mornings is manageable up until lunchtime.

I usually eat between 12-8pm, so have a smaller fasting window than most people on IF, but my eating times are often dictated by the times of my workouts so an earlier evening workout might result in a longer fasting window as I typically stop eating one hour before an evening workout.

In my opinion people put far too much importance on breakfast as a meal. If it's not working for you, stop eating it! :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I usually do all my eating between 6am and 4pm. I don't know if 14 hours counts as a fast. I never feel like eating at night, and if I do eat late, because I'm eating with friends, for example, it throws me off, and I wake up sluggish. This actually affects me far more noticeably than eating carbs.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes I do it. I could not have done it without Keto, I feel bad for those on a SAD diet. The blood sugar swings must be rough! When ever I read something like 'IF Sucks!' Or the like, the person is always on a SAD.

I started IF two weeks ago, although the first week was more or less 15:9 and not 16:8. When I get truly hungry I break my fast with coffee, cream, cacao and stevia, so it's low carb and about 125 calories. (If I do a workout then I break the fast with a small plant protein fat shake, as protein is important following workouts, and it ups my green intake for the day). That will get me comfortably until 1 or 2, then I eat a large meal at my desk. maybr snack on another small plant protein fat shake midway (or nuts, cheese), then a big dinner around 7:30. It has been much easier the last few days, so I am making the full 16 now. I hav noticed the weight is coming off a bit faster, but that could be other things too. Bottom line, I really like IF. But I wouldn't like it if not for being in Keto.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Bottom line, I really like IF. But I wouldn't like it if not for being in Keto.

I agree. Someone told me not to eat breakfast to help lose weight. Fasting for 12-16 hours is a good thing. I was able to only last 3 days. I was starving. It is more doable with LCHF. If I am hungry in the morning, I just have BPC and that will last me until lunch time.