How to Begin?

Options
ddeliciosa
ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
Hey ladies! I just joined this group and was wondering if I could get some feedback on what worked the best to initiate weight loss for you all. Just a little bit of background about myself - 21, 5'5", currently 146. Throughout high school my weight stayed consistently around 140. My current relationship started when I was 18, so between being loved, happy, plus starting college, I reached my heaviest weight of around 157. In October 2015 I started Invisalign treatment (clear removable braces you have to wear at least 22hrs/day and must take out to eat food) which caused me to snack less and lead to some weight loss. I would really like to do more to increase this weight loss. My diet is alright, I suppose. I usually drink water, coffee (with cream), unsweet tea, or the occasional diet soda. I try to make smart decisions when it comes to food, but right now I'm not really limiting anything. I also work at a restaurant so it's difficult to eat right when I'm there. I think my biggest struggle is saying no to sweets, overeating, and bread. Right now I don't have any exercise regimen in place. I usually have short walks with my dog 2-3x day.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you have! I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi! My weight's around 148 and I'm 5'4.5", so I'm right around your weight. :) When you're this close to the ideal weight range it can be really tough to lose. Exercise helps with muscle tone, strength and appearance, but not really with weight loss unless you're doing an awful lot of it.

Food is the big battle here, and to win it you're probably going to need a food scale. Measure your "hidden" calories (cream adds up fast, unfortunately) and figure out how much you're actually eating. There's no need to cut out anything that you like, but working in a restaurant poses some real challenges. If you really want to be sure about how many calories you're eating, you should measure and prepare as much of your own food as possible.

All that said, you don't have much to lose, and you can do this! :) Good luck!
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Hi! My weight's around 148 and I'm 5'4.5", so I'm right around your weight. :) When you're this close to the ideal weight range it can be really tough to lose. Exercise helps with muscle tone, strength and appearance, but not really with weight loss unless you're doing an awful lot of it.

Food is the big battle here, and to win it you're probably going to need a food scale. Measure your "hidden" calories (cream adds up fast, unfortunately) and figure out how much you're actually eating. There's no need to cut out anything that you like, but working in a restaurant poses some real challenges. If you really want to be sure about how many calories you're eating, you should measure and prepare as much of your own food as possible.

All that said, you don't have much to lose, and you can do this! :) Good luck!

Great advice! Thankfully I do have a food scale, somewhere round here at least! I'll have to fish out some batteries for it. Thanks for the support! Good luck to you as well :smile: