Side dishes....

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
I struggle with side dishes....I'm having a big salad for lunch today but for dinner I'm having a bratwurst and I don't know what to make with it...any ideas for me?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar stuff with brats, so mustard, pickles, cole slaw, sauerkraut ...

But also, a good side to a brat is another brat!! B-)
  • MilllieMoo
    MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Creamed leeks
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Few of my staples:

-steam broccoli then saute in ghee and pink Himalayan salt
    -sauted mushrooms in ghee with a little Cayenne pepper

Idea: cut up the bratwurst and pan fry it in ur fave oil or butter. Add baby spinach to begin saute. Add hwc, spices (tarragon, Cayenne, paprika, etc) to your taste. I'd maybe add a few mushrooms.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut? More bratwurst?
    I've made a daikon radish puree before but that was making a more Korean themed meal (for ROKtober Fest).
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who made a trial run on keto just to see what it was about. On day two she called me- perplexed as to what to serve for a third side. Her mind was so stuck on having a meat, a veg, a carb that she couldn't see that she could just have more meat or more veg! It's a mindset. It feels backwards sometimes, but it's doable!

My fave sides are zoodles or sauteed or fresh peppers
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For me I started making different sauces to compliment the foods and give my dishes variety, and they almost work as a side dish too. My sides are always green veggies, sometimes cauliflower, and/or a salad, so the options run thin!

Here are some random sauces I make. The base ingredients are (of course) fat. I use what is on hand and find ingredients like cream cheese, half/half, whipping cream, butter, parm cheese...etc. can be combined nicely without any need to follow a strict recipe. A lot of time I make the sauce right in the meat drippings, which I usually fry in coconut oil so the sauce has that too add to the flavor too.

- melt a bit of cream cheese in the drippings, toss with your veggies

- An Italian sun-dried tomato sauce: mix butter, garlic, onion (if you like), basil, chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, Italian herbs (I like herbs de province), and a good dose of half/half or whipping cream. Sautee a few minutes to thicken. Goes great over all meats. My fav is over pork.

- A Spicy chipotle sauce - mix butter, cream, and a bit of chopped chipotles plus sauce from the jar (or can). Sauteed a minute or two until thickened. Add chopped cilantro, cumin...etc. if you like. I like this sauce over broccoli the most, and it can be adjusted from mild to spicy.

- Mushroom sauce - sauteed mushrooms, half and half, parm cheese and Italian spices

I haven't made many cheese sauces yet, but I do plan to experiment over time. I also have a balsamic sauce in mind, but I haven't tried it yet. If it's in your fridge, odds are it can be made into a sauce. :smiley:

And then there are nuts! I like to sauteed pinenuts in a mix of butter and coconut oil until lightly brown, then quickly wilt fresh spinach and toss. Salt. Yum!

• emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    Few of my staples:

-steam broccoli then saute in ghee and pink Himalayan salt
    -sauted mushrooms in ghee with a little Cayenne pepper

Idea: cut up the bratwurst and pan fry it in ur fave oil or butter. Add baby spinach to begin saute. Add hwc, spices (tarragon, Cayenne, paprika, etc) to your taste. I'd maybe add a few mushrooms.

This sounds delicious!! I don't have spinach but I was thinking about doing broccoli either with butter or HWC and cheese melted together and poured over it?