Vacation eating woes

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
My wife, daughter and I are visiting Orlando/disney for a family vacay. I'm trying very hard to stay on plan but it's definitely a challenge. In the past, a big part of vacationing has involved very poor eating practises. So far, I'm not doing too badly. Today may have been the worst. I ate food from a bbq joint (it's also my birthday) and I had some baked beans that were very good and very sweet. There was sauce on the ribs and a bit on the brisket. No idea how many carbs I've eaten but it was very tasty. For snacks I've been sticking to cashews, pork rinds, and a little dark chocolate. More than normal but nothing like the old days when it would have been: beer, chips, fries, pizza, ice cream, candy, chocolate...you get the idea. This will be the first vacation I've taken as an adult where I consumed zero alcohol. I'm proud of that and haven't missed it. Of course, it helps that it's just the three of us. If we were with friends then I would def be drinking vodka/soda.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    If you come back home to your normal WOE you should be fine.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sounds like you're doing well under the circumstances. I would maybe have a few extra low carbs when I get back (esp if I'm struggling with cravings) but I think you'll be good.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I have gone on a couple of vacations since I began this woe and each time I get a little better at managing my choices. I think you're doing great! When you come home, just return to business as usual!
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No help for your carb issues, but I just wanted to say with all the walking you will be doing, your vacation shouldn't result in any slowdown of weight loss.

I actually first started wanting to lose weight for a trip to Disney World/Universal 2 years ago. I was mindful of what I ate, but didn't restrict and with all the walking we did, I came home 10 days later 6lbs. lighter!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Happy Birthday! In Orlando there are some good steak and seafood places. I love Orlando. You did a great job for it being your birthday and at Disney! Remember being on a plan is only one meal away! We were on vacation in the Austrian Alps last month and the fresh high fiber, grain dense heavy bread was my biggest weakness, not sugar laden desserts. I did not gain weight as we were very active but the following weeks back on my plan I have been steadily losing.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan plan, or you will go off plan and do so in a big way.

On the one hand I'm with Gale, get back on afterwards and you'll be fine.

On the other hand, I have a life long history of yo yo dieting and morbid obesity - this is literally life and death and I travel a LOT so I have to have a strategy.

If I walk into a random restaurant without intention and an idea of where I'm headed food wise, I WILL commit carbicide and hate myself afterwards.

You CAN eat well traveling. A bit of sauce isn't too bad, but throw in the baked beans, plus this plus that, etc etc and I'm out of ketosis and wake up passed out on the floor surrounded by bags of doritos :smile: I didn't get to 350 plus pounds by making good choices at restaurants! Something has to change.

Nothing tastes as good as being skinnier and healthy feels. I have status on my favorite airline because of how much I've traveled last year. Survived multiple Mexico trips, South America, conventions, etc.

It can be done!

Good luck!
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great. Treat yourself and family to a steak/seafood night. As Bisky said there are plenty in Orlando. Enjoy! :-)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing the same thing next month in Disney California. I plan to take several bottles of NOW MCT capsules to provide most of my fat (calories). :)
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I think I may actually lose weight on this trip. The only real indulgence I've allowed myself was a couple of diet cokes and five coconut shrimps. There's been a bit of sauce here and there that was hard to avoid but I haven't had any of my old favourites that would have definitely triggered a re-lapse. All in all, I feel pretty good about the trip - food wise.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful time!! Just being aware of what you're putting in your mouth is awesome! Tell Minnie I said "Hi!" :smiley:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I do Disney a lot, and I manage it. Of course, I prefer to eat outside the park. The food is cheaper and I get more of what I eat. There's a Fuddruckers right down the street. There's a couple McDonald's all around. Plus plenty of other places.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    We were lucky and had a full kitchen in our unit so we cooked some meals and also bought some things like rotisserie chicken from Walmart (how can they do that for $5?). That really helped and what @nicintime said re:planning. We always chose places where there would be food for all of us. I'm mainly happy that I have been able to avoid the in-room snacking. I've come to realize I'm a serious boredom eater so it's hard being cooped up with all this junk food and NOT eating it. For the future my wife and I must start developing interests that will occupy our time. We want to do more travelling as our daughter is now old enough to take care of herself. Problem is we don't really DO anything. At home we just really watch TV, go out to movies or eat out for entertainment. Neither of us are at all athletic but we must start getting out more.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I too am enjoying the heat in Orlando at the moment. Happy Birthday!

we start out homeward trek tomorrow. Sounds as if you are doing very well indeed. Stay the course and walk. we did most of our meals in our unit. My problem with that is that we don't meet anyone and since we live on an isolated rural road at home, I enjoy seeing people when I am away. However, that is another issue!

My husband and I are non athletic but we enjoy golf together. His thing but I took it up. I love walking, people might call it hiking but I don't carry a large pack. Cannot get him into that. But I agree. Find something that you enjoy. Bowling, mini putt anything that has you moving. Doesn't have to be a sport just activity. If you travel, you will walk and I often have to go into training for a trip to Europe. They walk alot more than we do.

Enjoy your vacation!
  • daylitemag
    Options
    @dasher602014 what a coincidence! We leave tomorrow as well. We are at the Westgate Palace Resort (trust me, that sounds a LOT swankier than it is). Would have been fun to meet up while we were here at the same time. Have a safe trip home.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    @daylitemag yes, it would have been good! We are at Mystic Dunes and we come down here every year or two. Thanks for the thought of the home bound trip. Hopefully, spring is almost at home in Ontario. I hope you had a great time.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My hubs and I are trying to find togetherness activities outside of eating too. We're trying some new trails this weekend. My son just got interested in basketball, so maybe DH will help me teach him to shoot hoops!
  • daylitemag
    Options
    @daylitemag yes, it would have been good! We are at Mystic Dunes and we come down here every year or two. Thanks for the thought of the home bound trip. Hopefully, spring is almost at home in Ontario. I hope you had a great time.

Where in Ontario? We are in Ottawa. Made it home safe and sound with no issues.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I ate whatever my hosts fed me for three weeks in Iceland, which was neither low carb nor low fat, but was low in sugar, came home and went back on low carb without a problem. On the plus side, I was walking a lot, and lost weight on the trip.

P.S. It sounds like you're making good choices.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Have fun.

All this talk of spring.... It snowed this morning. Lol
  • daylitemag
    Options
    So, we got home today and it seems I may have actually lost some weight!

I think my main takeaway is that it is really hard to change life long habits. I guess that isn't surprising to anyone, but it is the hardest thing to do and to fully embrace. The entire week we were gone I felt like something was missing and/or I wasn't doing things "right." However, in time I won't remember the carbage that I didn't eat, but what I will keep with me are the memories of fun times with my family. I may always fight these urges (to eat poorly) but hopefully the battle will get easier, in time.