Sodium and low carb

Options
JBcat123
JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
Would low carb diet still work when u are about 1,000 mgs of sodium over? I eat salad with french dressing and I manage to keep under my carbs with this dressing. I'm just curious thanks!

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Actually, when you are following a low carb diet you need to increase your Sodium intake.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    1000 mgs over what? Like pp stated when you are low carb your body releases extra water as your glycogen stores are depleted and then continues to excrete more water to flush out the ketones you are producing (depending on your carb level). When this happens sodium goes with it so you will likely need to increase your sodium intake to replenish what your body is losing.

That being said. I don't know how much sodium you are getting already but an extra 1000 mgs isn't going to hurt anything. I've had days were I am near 7000 mgs. (if you have a specific health condition (and I don't mean high blood pressure) or are on meds that require you to limit sodium you may want to check with your dr before consuming too much)