Bad feelings, bad food choices

Options
sheltony
sheltony Posts: 73 Member
Yesterday evening, I returned from visiting a friend.. She had asked about some mutual political passions regarding the state legislature and its current drama. I hadn't been "keeping up" with several things, and was feeling down about my inability to be fully engaged with activities and ideas. I was beating myself mentally, feeling inferior and incapable. When I came home, bread, buttery spread, and honey called me back to a place of numbness. I fell asleep on the couch and didn't do any bicycling, although I had asked my hubby earlier in the day. Lots of guilt feelings today. I didn't want to feel those feelings, wasn't able to deal with being slow or seen as stupid in any way. I need a meeting, need to do some reading, want to be less concerned about myself and more able to be open to others. Kind of a catch 22...feeling blue and still unsettled today.

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    yes, write about this...lots.

something in having a debate with someone, feeling less than, brought up painful feelings:

-when have u felt this way in the past (ie: not smart enough)?
    -what is your relationship with this person like?
    -what about the incident bothered you?
    -what can u do TODAY that would be best in line with the 12 steps?
    -do u owe any amends to yourself, to others, etc, in regards to this incident?
    -do u need to set a boundary regarding discussing controversial topics with this person?
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Feeling the feelings are so important and sometimes painful. Our recovery tools can help us through it, not only write about it, go to meetings, do some service work (this really gets me out of myself), call another OAer to talk about it. Whatever works!
    Hang in there {{hugs}}
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    For me, it's also about the fact that there are so many areas that feel out of my control, and I end up feeling a combination of sadness and anger. We are in an age where there is a lot of unrest on really deep issues -- society at large is struggling in many areas. Toss in animals rights, Monsanto, economy, blah blah blah. I'm on Facebook and have so much come across which triggers these types of feelings. All we can do is our best to effect our little ripples in the pond in a positive way. :flowerforyou:
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    wow! Thanks everyone. Vegan Chica, you're amazing. Great advisors on MFP!