Yoga....

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
Oh my. First time I have ever done yoga. My employer (a hospital) offers yoga twice a week for a 6 week course so I signed up. I just had my first session today. Holy hell. I am not flexible and I need to work on breathing. I think I was shaking most the session and my abs hurt! Haha. Anyone else do yoga? Tell me it gets easier!

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I promise it gets easier!

I've been doing yoga for several months now. When we get a new release, I am back to the shaking muscles for certain moves. Remember, your muscles shaking just means you are using them in a way you aren't used to using them! They will get stronger.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and Pilates, it does get better and you will likely be amazed how fast it gets better. After a couple of weeks to doing it regularly you will feel so much more flexible and a lot of tension that you may have had previously will start to release as well. Keep it up and you'll be hooked :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I went to a session a few years ago at the YMCA, and I made the mistake of pushing hard. I hurt for a week, yet it's still in the back of my mind. Someday soon, I'll do it again.

And everything gets easier with practice.
  • jesslintch
    jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I adore yoga!!!!!!
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    And now here I sit eating my chicken and vegetables soaked in butter and cheese :smiley: (well not soaked but you know what I mean)....I definitely will keep it going!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a theory that shaking legs relates to releasing stored tension. As you release this stored tension your body will also lose weight since stored tension causes increases in stress hormones such as cortisol. I found that doing yoga brought up some old repressed feelings that I was able to release.Yoga is a harmless way to release them; you will feel better after a class and sleep better; also, your digestion and your breathing will most likely improve. Yoga will heal so many things if you let it. All those nagging aches and pains, and those chronic strains and stresses will diminish then disappear. It's awesome!
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'm excited for it. Yoga class #2 is today!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It does get easier. Worth noting your normal now so that you can sense progress when you look back in even a few weeks time. Right now you will be learning postures, later they will flow with your breathing (which will also become deeper and more relaxed) and you will learn what feels good and what is too much stretch. Good luck. Hope you love it! I do.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm starting an employer sponsored Yoga class next Friday. It's chair yoga because I've had trouble with regular yoga in the past. I'm hoping to build up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right for a first few times! The cool thing about yoga: it DOES get easier, and then as you progress it's all still challenging.