Bypass or Sleeve??

Options
cup_o_jo
cup_o_jo Posts: 13 Member
Hi! I have my appointment with my surgeon, psychologist, and dietitian all on April 4th? I have been pretty set on the sleeve, but now I'm not sure. Your input would be appreciated.

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The choice (RNY) was made for me by my doctor. Pre-op, I had bad reflux issues. The Gastric Sleeve has been known for increasing these issues. Since the surgery, my reflux is a very rare thing. Also your BMI can be a factor in the surgery type.

RNY has better initial fat% lost at 60-80%, versus the sleeve's 50-70%.
    RYN fat loss is faster, but only during the first year. At 3 years time, the fat loss rates are very similar.
    RNY also has the increased likelihood of creating "Dumping Syndrome" over the sleeve. Dumping sounds horrible, but it's a very effective deterrent that can be used as a tool to curb overeating and poor food choice (sugars/carbs).
    Sleeve removes a portion of the stomach where the majority of the hunger hormone ghrelin is produced.
    Bypass creates more mal-absorption, which means you absorb less calories, but it also means you need more vitamins to keep up.
    Bypass is more complicated surgery. It takes a little longer than the sleeve. You will be KOed for it, so it is kind of a non-issue.
    Sleeve's slower weight loss COULD lead to less skin sag. The skin has more time to adjust to the weight loss. I say COULD, because genetics play heavily into this, as does age.

These are just a few things I remember. If I think of more, I'll try to post up. There's also a LOT of info on the web regarding this.

• countryrose7
    countryrose7 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was also set on having the sleeve, but my surgeon disagreed. I have a lot of weight to lose and the sleeve wasn't going to work fast enough for me. Having RNY will also give me two tools to acheive my weight loss. He explained that if you like sugar, having RNY will eliminate the "want" mostly because if you do eat something high in fat or sugar, you will dump. His words were something like, "you'll only do that once." :) Since I like my sweets and carbs, I need something that won't let me cheat.
    This site and bariatricpal.com have tons and tons of info for helping you make a decision.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    He explained that if you like sugar, having RNY will eliminate the "want" mostly because if you do eat something high in fat or sugar, you will dump.

I hate that I didn't end up with D.S.
  • countryrose7
    countryrose7 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As weird as it sounds, I hope I do. If there is a way to cheat, I will find it. Happens every time.
  • cup_o_jo
    cup_o_jo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve because I wanted to maintain normal digestion and have the least complicated surgery. I've been happy with my results. At almost 3 years out, I've maintained a 120 lb loss. My best friend has RNY and has also been successful.
    My surgeon tells patients to decide what procedure works best for their lifestyle. In the end, either procedure will work initially, but you will ultimately have to do the work. Best of luck to you:)
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I chose RNY because I wanted the bypass/malabsorption. I see this as a "bit more help". I do not have dumping syndrome...based on some things that I've eaten (cheese and no sugar added foods). I'm very picky with what I eat nutritionally, but I've had small servings of things with a bit of fat and sugar. Who knows...maybe I'll get dumping syndrome if I eat something super stupid...I sure hope so!!

If you would like, you can check out my website where I blog weekly. It describes what I've faced and I'm very open with my experiences. I LOVE my new plumbing. BEST DECISION EVER! I also love never having acid reflux any more!

www.butyouhavesuchaprettyface.com

• bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It really is a personal decision you will make on your own with input from your surgeon. I chose sleeve for reasons similar to pattycakes726. Just had my 90 day post-op check and I'm down 60 pounds and all of my blood levels for protein, vitamins, etc. are completely normal (no malabsorption issues). I'm also no longer taking blood pressure or cholesterol meds. So for me, this was the right choice & I look forward to continued success. I agree with anbrdr that there is a ton of info available online to help you in your discernment. Good luck and keep posting!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve because I wanted the least invasive procedure. I originally went in wanting the lap band because I read that it was reversible, but my surgeon told me he wasn't doing them anymore because he was seeing more complications than benefits. I went back & forth with the dumping issue when I was considering which procedure to get. The dumping was actually a positive in my eyes--just one more thing to keep me from going off track. In the end though, the malabsorbtion was the deal breaker. I am a very picky eater & figured I didn't want any more limitations on what I ate & needed to absorb every last nutrient that I can. Because of my pickiness, I do end up taking a bunch of vitamins because of deficiencies. I am glad that I am allowed to swallow pills rather than having to find chewables for everything.
  • BStruble2
    BStruble2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I went with the sleeve because the malabsorption and ds scared me! Plus the surgeon said the sleeve would be the best fit for me.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    With respect to dumping syndrome, my personal experience is don't be afraid of it. It clearly is different for everyone, and for me I'll just feel "yucky", maybe break out into a cold sweat, and mostly it's an uncomfortable reminder that I knew I would regret that dessert or glass of wine.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was also set on having the sleeve, but my surgeon disagreed. I have a lot of weight to lose and the sleeve wasn't going to work fast enough for me. Having RNY will also give me two tools to acheive my weight loss. He explained that if you like sugar, having RNY will eliminate the "want" mostly because if you do eat something high in fat or sugar, you will dump. His words were something like, "you'll only do that once." :) Since I like my sweets and carbs, I need something that won't let me cheat.
    This site and bariatricpal.com have tons and tons of info for helping you make a decision.

I also hoped I'd get that side effect, but I didn't. Now 2.5 years post, I can eat anything as far as snacking, and can drink alcohol as well with really no different effect than before the surgery. If I overeat sugar, I might get a slightly elevated heart rate or want a short nap, but it is not really a deterrent. I researched dumping syndrome post surgery and have seen research suggesting only around 30% of GB patients get it. Please don't count on it. I'm struggling to stave off old habits and keep myself on track, because even though I cannot eat the quantities I could before ( if I am eating proteins/veg/and following all the original rules), I can, and have, outsnacked my pouch. Just sharing because I think a lot of surgeons push this as a beneficial effect or focus on warning you about it so much, that there's a perception that MOST people get it. They don't, and those that do really vary in how they experience it.