Fruit

Options
shinycrazy
shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
Starting last year, I mostly eliminated fruit from my diet to get my blood sugar down. It worked and I have much more control now. I've been used to being in the 80s and 90s. I've started incorporating fruit back in my diet and it's making me crazy! My sugars are still in the normal range, but higher. 2 hours after lunch today was 122 (58g carb). Am I nuts for complaining? I really just need to choose fruit over bread. But it was so nice to be able to eat bread again AND fruit! We'll see what my next a1c is I guess. I like berries and really need to stick to that instead of clementines and plums. Oh, peach season is coming!

Replies

• judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Eat whole wheat bread. Apples and Peanut butter. The protein makes the sugar in the apple process slower. I'm not a big berry fan. I like the odd handful of strawberries on my cereal, or I'll use frozen berries in a smoothie.
    122 (6.7) is good after a meal. At least I think so.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't think I even want to try to give up fruit. But I do think my records suggest it does make my sugars go up. I think the nutritional value of fruits make them worth a little trade off to have them. But I do pay more attention to which ones I eat and when. Less in the evening and more during the day when I am using more energy. No fruit if my nearest meal has starches like cereal or potatoes. I love fruit and cheese together. Havarti and gala apple slices-yummy.