How many carbs do you eat in a day?

Options
CountryLady47
CountryLady47 Posts: 40 Member
I am new to this WOE, today I was still at about 80 carbs, I know I need to get that number down, plan, plan plan :).. How many carbs do you eat and can still lose weight?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight at 80 grams. Many people have.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm still working out what works best for me. I'm generally at around 40 or 50 grams. I've been lower. I've been WAY higher. I don't think I'll ever eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day again.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    18 months ago, I began with 50g/day. I am now down to about 20g/day, but it can be slightly above due to vegetables.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I like the absoluteness of keto so I tend to range 15-20 net. You should find what is sustainable for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs under 100g, usually hover between 50-70g, and am losing weight just fine, very slowly as I'm so close to goal weight.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the person. In the past I've lost weight pretty well in the 70-100gm range That's when I was doing low carb/high protein. Now on LCHF I'm in the keto range so I stuck to 20-30gm net carbs/day. I'm at maintenance now so theoretically I'm gradually increasing that.
  • CountryLady47
    Options
    Thanks, I know my calorie limit for the day will also come into play..
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about calories, only when I've stalled for over 2 weeks, then I use my calories to play around to break the stall. Other than that I dismiss calories.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I need to be very low in order to control cravings and hunger. According to my tracking, my average is 18g total, but I'm fine with a range maxing out at about 30g as long as it's from real food and not bars or shakes.
    What you get your carbs from is more important than how many you get, in my opinion.
  • CountryLady47
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I bought some protein bars but have been eating two a day :( I thought they would be good to keep in my desk at work, but they are to tempting.. taste like chocolate bars so this is not working out.. too many calories and carbs wasted in them for me.. live and learn .
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I bought some protein bars but have been eating two a day :( I thought they would be good to keep in my desk at work, but they are to tempting.. taste like chocolate bars so this is not working out.. too many calories and carbs wasted in them for me.. live and learn .

No worries. I totally did that too. Back when I was doing "net" carbs. I was subtracting the fiber and justifying that they were low carb and that's all that mattered.
    Now I will have 1/3 of a quest bar every once in great while and I treat it like its a candy bar, not part of a meal. It's been well over a month since I've had any and I may never have another. I have no idea. I really don't buy them anymore. At one time I would buy packs of 24 from Amazon! Lol
    Then I realized that I was using them for a "sugar fix". Funny how the body/brain thinks artificial sweeteners are like sugar huh?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a process so don't get discouraged! It will take time and practice. Looking at the nutritional data of the foods you are eating and logging them in MFP will help you. When I first started Keto I aimed for 100g carbs per day for the first month. The second month my goal was 75g carbs per day. Third month my goal was 50g carbs per day, etc. Now, 18.5 months later, my daily total carb intake tends to fall in the range of 20-35g carbs. I don't like to go over 39g carbs per day at all.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I'm still working out what works best for me. I'm generally at around 40 or 50 grams. I've been lower. I've been WAY higher. I don't think I'll ever eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day again.

This is me except for the last part. Super special occasions and vacations would be the exception.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

This is me except for the last part. Super special occasions and vacations would be the exception.

I forgot about those. I'm okay with ordering low carb options in restaurants. As long as I never develop diabetes, I'm not going to turn down a special meal that someone has cooked for me, for example, which happens a lot when I travel.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started at 50 and now do around 20-35. I don't think I have been LC long enough to really know what's best for me yet.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Between 50-75.
  • JMLSZ
    JMLSZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Between 35-50. I've only been at it for 6 weeks but am losing steadily and keto sticks show ketosis clearly.
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Sorry newbie here. I presume the above mentioned dailies are Not net carbs.? Thanks
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    12 total carbs today. Definitely under 20, prefer to be under 10 right now as I'm a diabetic working on getting of insulin.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    50-80

But the carbs come almost all from fibrous veggies that are fiber rich. So the net is arguably lower.