Things you never knew about being in your 30's

Options

Replies

• ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Totally can related.
    I miss the way you could just call up on the day or the evening before and then have a great evening out with friends (and not paying for it the next day like nowadays because i aint used to alcohol anymore). I like that we now go out to diner instead of trying to create a meal for a lot of people with drinks and no money. I sometimes forget we are the sad old people who have a girls night out like they are still 20 something (which i use to think when i saw 35+ at the bar/cafe.
    I like it that i can afford to do more but i cant find the time or energy because of my work.
    It sucks that i still don't know what i want to do when i grow up and i keep changing jobs every few years. I miss my weight from when i was 18-22. Nothing changed in that part.
    And i don't like the pressure of my mortgage, but i love having my own place where i can do what i want when i want (like turning up the heat in stead of taking another sweater when i am cold). I love that i go home after a family or childs party and it is quiet and i can chill out on my sofa.
    I hate that the number 40 is creeping really close and i have to call myself a middle aged women.
    I like that i am old enough now that i do not have to defend not having and wanting any children (or getting the pitty look or stupid remarks about it).
    I am asthonised what younger women (30-) sometimes say and the pink glasses view of the world (look at the unicorn) they still have. I wish i still looked at the world we live in like that.
    But all in all, i can't make a choice between my 20's and 30's. I like different parts of each period and hopefully when i turn 40 i will think that.
  • OlenaMomWine
    OlenaMomWine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 32 and have two children - 6 and nearly 9. My later 20s were spent taking care of two little kids and working FT... now I feel like my kids are so much more independent that I can really enjoy doing things with them... bike-riding with my daughter, walks with my son... I'm also at the heaviest I've been in years so I'm getting motivated to lose the weight so I have the energy to do all these fun things with my kiddos. As I get older, I also have less tolerance for drama in my life so I've found that the friendships I have now are more solid than those from my 20s... I have fewer "friends," but they are golden and I really love that. I feel more confident in my job, better able to speak out as an advocate for my students and coworkers, and more open to new experiences. 30s are rocking so far.
    Just like me. I agree. I love getting my freedom back.

• OlenaMomWine
    OlenaMomWine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would be dreaming about bed at 6PM and be in bed by 9PM. And that I would hate noise. And I love being by myself and go for walks. And social life wouldn't matter as much anymore LOL. Like I'm happy on a couch with a glass of wine even by myself but usually I'm surrounded by kids and a husband. I freaking love being by myself in my 30s.
  • aztransam96
    aztransam96 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy being by myself, and just relaxing at home on the couch; just lounging watching a good movie. Being in bed early is something that happens in your 30's, going out on Friday night sounds great on Wednesday when plans are made, but come Friday I want to be in ky pajamas by 6pm. Plus no matter how busy your week was come Saturday morning my kids are always up by 7am, so sleeping in is a rare occasion. Life is great in your 30's, I am able to appreciate all the little joys in my life, as opposed to just waiting for the big joys.
  • BackToTheBeach2017
    Options
    One thing about my 30s I've realized is that I just can't hang anymore. On the off chance I find a babysitter and am able to go out and meet my friends, if I have more than 3 drinks (max) I will be insanely hungover the next day. I still have a large number of single or childless friends and love to get the (rare) chance to see them, but man, not drinking often has killed my ability to really socially drink.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    Turned 30 in January...I dont know why, but now I feel content. Never thought I would love to drive a van.LMAO

I love my van!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything except a newer one!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I kept waiting to feel 'grown up' :p Never happened, even though I'm 37, with a husband and two kids and a mortgage and an IRA and all that other grown up stuff. Nope, I still feel maaaybe 26! My 15 yo just rolls his eyes when a Green Day song comes on the radio and I'm all 'Hey, I loved this song in high school!' He says, 'Mom, I know. You say that every time!' Mouthy kid, don't know where he gets it B)
  • carolynsutton6
    carolynsutton6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    - Good luck finding adult friends in their 30s with no kids.

OMG, this is so me! Of all my friends, I am the only one not married with no kids. It's tough too to hang out with my friends with really little kids because either 1) my friend will come with the child (and depending on the child, that's a nightmare) or 2) my friend will need a sitter/spouse to watch little one.

I never realized that at 33, I would still be single with no kids. I don't exactly mind being single - but I would like to go on fun dates with guys. As for the kids, I've learned that I am not a mothering type. So glad I dodged that bullet - I would be a terrible mother.

I feel a lot more confident in myself, a lot more content as well. I didn't realize how quickly a person would suddenly develop aches and pains, nor how slow the body heals when you hurt yourself. I've also learned what I like and don't like and am slowly getting more comfortable embracing my likes.

I also really appreciate time with my friends. It's not easy building friends in your 30's, so I find myself really cultivating the friendships I have.

I love how in your 30's you can experiment with so many different things - going to plays, musicals, the ballet, attending a Paint Nite, or going wine tasting. The sky really is the limit!
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options

OMG, this is so me! Of all my friends, I am the only one not married with no kids. It's tough too to hang out with my friends with really little kids because either 1) my friend will come with the child (and depending on the child, that's a nightmare) or 2) my friend will need a sitter/spouse to watch little one.

I never realized that at 33, I would still be single with no kids. I don't exactly mind being single - but I would like to go on fun dates with guys. As for the kids, I've learned that I am not a mothering type. So glad I dodged that bullet - I would be a terrible mother.

I feel a lot more confident in myself, a lot more content as well. I didn't realize how quickly a person would suddenly develop aches and pains, nor how slow the body heals when you hurt yourself. I've also learned what I like and don't like and am slowly getting more comfortable embracing my likes.

I also really appreciate time with my friends. It's not easy building friends in your 30's, so I find myself really cultivating the friendships I have.

I love how in your 30's you can experiment with so many different things - going to plays, musicals, the ballet, attending a Paint Nite, or going wine tasting. The sky really is the limit!

I'm in the same boat. Not married, no kids. I have friends that are single, but they have kids. I didn't think I'd be here either. I have 19 nephews and 4 nieces... and a Godson. I have enough kids in my life to be ok never being a mother. I think I have major fears of being like my mother was so I don't want to become one to avoid being like her.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Some of us childfree single men in our 30's really struggle to find dates with childfree women. You all exist on the internet in some far off place like Narnia or something, but never where I live.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I now know that if I had saved all that money instead of wasting it when I was in my 20's, I'd be a lot better of now lol
  • itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Feeling sluggish and tired, but I think that's from the weight. Mentally I'm in a better place, with less drama.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think this is when the real adulting begins for me. 20s just felt like a HUGE struggle to survive and a prolonged adolescence. But let's face it, I'm a kid at heart anyway. I really don't feel any different except that I finally have a career and more wisdom; I think that defines my 30's!

I agree with one of the posts above sooo much -- I give so few f***ks now than I ever have. Don't like me? Keep movin'. Don't need you! And yes it's EXTREMELY hard to make friends now that I'm older and am not around the people I grew up with. But I'm workin on it every day.
  • RenRen1432
    RenRen1432 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I honestly have more fun in my 30s than I did in my 20s. I guess because I now have a regular schedule with vacation days, higher income, and a place of my own. It's kind of why I started my weight loss journey - being in my 30s isn't nearly as boring as I thought it would be when I was younger, and I want to be fit to enjoy them even more. :-)

I totally agree with you on that! I'm in that same boat! I'm 33, halfway to 34, and I'm enjoying my time right now! Plus, I think my body looks better than it did when I was in my 20s! Well, at least in my late 20s lol!
  • sarah30isael
    sarah30isael Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be so boring... kids and work consume my life... how do I change this lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I never thought I would be so boring... kids and work consume my life... how do I change this lol

It is too late for you now, but that is a part of why I chose to never have kids. As to work... well, if I had won $700 million in Powerball this week, that would have changed. Unfortunately, we all have to pay the bills somehow.
  • sarah30isael
    sarah30isael Posts: 88 Member
    Options

It is too late for you now, but that is a part of why I chose to never have kids. As to work... well, if I had won $700 million in Powerball this week, that would have changed. Unfortunately, we all have to pay the bills somehow.

That's so sad... lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

That's so sad... lol

I know... I was really hoping to win. There were all kinds of plans thought out as to what I would do if I never had to work ever again and had such a huge amount of money to spend doing whatever I wanted.
  • ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad I made it here, there were some sketchy experiences in my 20's
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Some of us childfree single men in our 30's really struggle to find dates with childfree women. You all exist on the internet in some far off place like Narnia or something, but never where I live.

Why must a childfree woman be where you live? Have you considered moving places where more childfree women are? Major metropolitan areas have higher concentrations.

I moved for my husband because I love and support him. We are both childfree and met online...and have been together for a decade. If a woman is really amazing and everything you want, why not date online, meet to make sure there's chemistry and then move for love?

Limiting your options gives you poor choice...we live in a time where there are great opportunities near and far. Don't feed yourself lies that you can't easily find someone. I've dated many many childfree men AND childfree women. They're not hard to find when you go to places that they congregate. Check out things like meetup.com.--they have several childfree singles groups in my area. If you have none, start your own. Now is not the time to complain. Now is the time to take action. :) Best of luck.