How much MCT oil?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I just got my first MCT oil. Thinking about using it in some BPC. Is this something you should start small with and gradually increase the amount? I have BPC w/coconut oil and either butter or HWC occasionally; usually about 2 tsp of each. How much MCT oil do you all have per day and how much would you start with (if different)?

Replies

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Start small, especially if you're going to consume it on an empty stomach. I will add it to my shakes once in a while no problem, but I only tried the bulletproof coffee once, and I was nauseous for hours afterwards. That was with 1 tablespoon MCT oil and 1 tablespoon grass fed butter. I still can't get myself to try it for a second time.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Start small, I was using about 5ml in the beginning. The first three days I used a lot and it caused intense abdominal pain and gas. Taking after eating helps too.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    OK, thanks!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Start with 1/2 tbsp. each MCT oil & KerryGold Butter. Once you are used to that, double them both to 1 tbsp. ea. Eventually go to 2 tbsp. ea. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I wound up having just use coconut oil to get my MCT's.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Gale coconut oil is in some ways better than MCT as it has a full profile of MCTs, where are most "MCT oils" are limited. But to answer the OP, 1 tbs is a good start. Your stomach will let you know when to stop :p
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    asyroyez wrote: »
    Gale coconut oil is in some ways better than MCT as it has a full profile of MCTs, where are most "MCT oils" are limited. But to answer the OP, 1 tbs is a good start. Your stomach will let you know when to stop :p

I have heard that before too. Plus the coconut oil is not considered a processed oil, which many of us try to avoid. I cook with coconut oil, but I primarily use coconut flakes (unsweetened) in my green smoothies to get the full MCT profile, as calorie-for-calorie goes there is still a lot of fat, plus I get a bit of what isn't in the oils - fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium and other minerals that the oil doesn't have. The coconut flavor is more pronounced with the flakes, which works great in a smoothie. A good blender is required. There are a few carbs too, but if you count 'net carbs' the fiber count erases most all of it. I prefer this method over pure MCT oil. I don't like consuming large amounts of calories that don't have a nutritional benefit.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    MCT oil would burn going down and leave me feeling funny. The coconut oil goes down so smooth. On the logic side I see not ready just not to use the coconut oil to get the same or more health effects. If it agreed with me I would consider it but I almost poured out the rest of the large bottle. I guess I could have buffered it but there was not gain that I could see in my case. MCT is great if it works for one.

Coconut flakes is one of my mainstays on this WOE first thing each morning and at other times.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil will actually have more fatty acids than MCT. The entire point of MCT is to remove the longer chain fatty acids, leaving only the shortest chains behind.
    You shouldn't have any problem using the same amount of MCT as you previously used coconut oil though.
    I use 1 tablespoon in my coffee.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use 15ml
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil daily and when I switched to mct using the same amount it caused severe gas pains when taken on an empty stomach.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thank you! Today I used 1 tsp MCT oil in my BPC along with HWC and felt fine. I'll try increasing a little tomorrow.
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What is HWC?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @mtizi it stands for Heavy Whipping Cream in the USA. For others it is just 36% butter fat cream. Welcome to MFP forums.
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks.