A question for the ladies - possible TMI

Options
xazazelx
xazazelx Posts: 26 Member
This is my 5th week on low carb and I've just started my 3 period.
The first one lasted 10 days, the second 7 days and both have been much heavier than usual.
I have another 95lbs to lose, don't exercise and my macros are 5% carbs, 25%protein, 70% fat.
Has anyone else had a similar issue?
I'm loving lchf results and hoping my hormones will balance in time!

Replies

• fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    xazazelx wrote: »
    This is my 5th week on low carb and I've just started my 3 period.
    The first one lasted 10 days, the second 7 days and both have been much heavier than usual.
    I have another 95lbs to lose, don't exercise and my macros are 5% carbs, 25%protein, 70% fat.
    Has anyone else had a similar issue?
    I'm loving lchf results and hoping my hormones will balance in time!

I sincerely hope that it is a low-carb issue, because if it isn't, that's one helluva rough ride, and I hope that you are medically okay. Make sure to keep your iron levels up.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am not a woman.

This is extremely common for women when they start keto. If you go to https://reddit.com/r/xxketo you'll see a lot of people asking about this. The primary belief is that it is because fat cells also store hormones. When you're burning lots of fat, you are also dealing with a large influx of hormones. This can throw things out of whack for a while, until your body gets a handle and balances things again.
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started getting hot flashes again.... :/. Hope your body straightens out soon... That is hard on you.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Wow, this r
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

This is extremely common for women when they start keto. If you go to https://reddit.com/r/xxketo you'll see a lot of people asking about this. The primary belief is that it is because fat cells also store hormones. When you're burning lots of fat, you are also dealing with a large influx of hormones. This can throw things out of whack for a while, until your body gets a handle and balances things again.

Wow, this really should be a giant warning sign somewhere. Hormonal changes like that are really problematic, and not always minor inconveniences.
  • xazazelx
    Options

Thanks for the link :smile:

I'm glad to know what's going on and that things should settle in time.
  • xazazelx
    Options
    I started getting hot flashes again.... :/. Hope your body straightens out soon... That is hard on you.

Oh no :neutral:

Hope the hot flashes settle down too
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat I wish I had posted this question 18 months ago - your response would have saved me $700 in medical bills!

The first time I dropped my carbs, my period went on (lightly) for about 2 months. My OBGYN had me do an ultrasound and biopsy. Came out all clear, of course.

I've been fat adapted for awhile now and cycle is back to normal!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat I wish I had posted this question 18 months ago - your response would have saved me $700 in medical bills!

The first time I dropped my carbs, my period went on (lightly) for about 2 months. My OBGYN had me do an ultrasound and biopsy. Came out all clear, of course.

We should probably add something about this to the Launch Pad

@Dragonwolf or @baconslave might know more than I do on this. I am aware of it, in a general sense, but I don't spend a lot of time in the "xxreddit" or browsing threads that are obviously women specific. There might be others that I haven't heard of.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am not a woman

For some reason this made me smile
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

We should probably add something about this to the Launch Pad

@Dragonwolf or @baconslave might know more than I do on this. I am aware of it, in a general sense, but I don't spend a lot of time in the "xxreddit" or browsing threads that are obviously women specific. There might be others that I haven't heard of.
    It would be good to have on the launch pad, definitely.
  • xazazelx
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »

Me too :wink:
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    xazazelx wrote: »
    dulcitonia wrote: »

Me too :wink:

Loved @FIT_Goat disclaimer and wisdom on a TMI girly issue
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Our moderators are awesome! We are so lucky to have them here!! :smiley:

But yes, the hormonal issues will settle down after being LCHF for a bit (timeline is different for all). The hormones that are stored in fat can create more issues than that too. One issue I had when I lost weight really fast after weight loss surgery was the increase in thinking about, and wanting, intimate relations with my husband (this passed too though, back to the average over time). I tell this only to let others know that it can happen, and now I will be embarrassed :blush: about it!